Campagnolo Record 11 Speed Groupos

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)
MSRP : $2075.00

Campagnolo Record 11 Speed Group: Lighter weight and more options with improvements made to the shifting performance and additional color options in the hoods and cables. The brake calipers are now available with a dual pivot rear for more braking power...

Submitted by Ray

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2014

Strengths:    Rear shifting is gunshot quick and accurate. Gorgeous workmanship and design. Light as a feather. Made in Italy, not Taiwan or China

Weaknesses:    All good things cost money

Bottom Line:
I'm lucky enough to have Record 11 and Dura Ace 9000 on another bike. I love them both. They both work great but I would say that if you have weaker hands or just like as little effort as possible, the DA takes less effort both for shifting and braking.
That said, the Record is dead accurate, has an enormously satisfying mechanical feel and after three seasons, is still flawless with only one recabling. Fortunately for me, I like both pasta and sushi ( just not together).

Submitted by James Brown

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Great shifting

Weaknesses:    Down shifters jam up frequently

Bottom Line:
This is a great groupset..a vast improvement over my 10-year-old Chorus shifters. However, I have put only about 200 miles on this set and after about the first 20 miles of my ride, the downshifter paddles lock up sometimes on both the left and right shifter. I read in this same column of someone else having the same problem. Contacting my vendor to see if this defect can be corrected before the busy riding season begins.Would be interested to know how many others have experienced this problem.

Submitted by eniveld a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    Super fast shifting both front & rear, shift up/down 5 gears at a time and "big slam" shifting, super comfortable levers, rebuildable shifter and derailleur, sleek carbon look

Weaknesses:    Price, manufacturer defect required replacing shifter

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Campi record 11, replacing my record 10. The record 10 was flawless after 11 years, many hard miles, countless crashes, and I became a hardcore fan of Campi record. I rebuilt the shifter until, sadly, it was no longer rebuildable, and even more sad: Campi stopped making replacement parts for the Campi 10 shifter. I would probably still have my Campi 10 on if they still made replacement parts for that. So there was no question I was getting a Campi 11 even after reading about the Dura Ace (7900).

I was hoping to have logged several hundred miles before writing this review, but at about 100 miles I discovered a fatal problem: The right thumb (up shift) lever would occasionally completely jam to the point where I could not up shift at all (down-shifting would unstick it). I did not do the build and am not a bike mechanic, so after bringing it back to my local mechanic, they confirmed the problem (hard to do for intermittent issues) and decided this was a manufacturing defect, and so for the last two weeks my bike has been sitting in their repair shop, while they sent the right shifter back to Campi for analysis and (hopefully) replacement.

But my limited experience on the record 11 made me realize I'd made the right choice, even with this fatal flaw. Shifting takes less effort than the 10, it's even more precise, it was quieter, and as a "big slam" fan I especially loved the both-thumbs-down maneuver which allows you to switch chain rings while maintaining essentially the same gear ratio. It's a feature I used all the time on the 10. It's even faster and more solid with the 11.

Another feature I really like is that you can cross chain without problems. I don't especially want to do that all the time, but if that's the gear you end up in at a crucial point in a ride/race, you can safely crank away as you're cross chaining.

Who should get this: Campi record is legendary in the industry and has a whole 'gestalt' that most people either love or don't really like. If you're looking for one of the hands down best component groups money can buy, you should definitely consider Campi Record 11.

Favorite Ride:   Skyline Drive, Santa Cruz Mountains, California

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Campi Record 10

Bike Setup:   Serotta Hors Categorie titanium, Campi Shamal Ultra wheels, Full Campi Record 11 component Group

Submitted by JunkieJoe

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Ultra precise shifts. Comfy hood. Super brakes. Just smooth as silk drivetrain. Snappy front shifts. The cranks are beautiful

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any yet. I'm willing to bet that at 1000miles and I have to replace the cassette, I might have issue with that. Seems petty at this point

Bottom Line:
I don't have any experience with the other groups out there. I do know that when researching my new bike, you certainly have fans of each group. I'm certain they all have their merits. What sold me on the Record was my old bike has 20 yo Campy C Records. I love it as much today as the day I bought it (sans the old Delta brakes, I used DuraAce calipers). With virtually no maintenance and literally thousands of miles, it shifted as well today and when new. So, I figure if I get that kind of longevity again it will be a great investment. As with my old CRecord, it is just a timeless piece of highly functional art. It is outrageously smooth and quiet.

I gave it a 5 for overall, but a 4 for value. My reason is that their Chorus group is 95% of the performance, but 75% of the price. Thats not a knock on Record, but rather a benefit to the Chorus line.

Submitted by colnago8888 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Strengths:    The 8-ramp pins on the chainring worked like a charm when going from small to big. The Ergopower is very crisp and from previous experience, gets better with age/use. The dual pivot front and rear brakes felt very good. I really noticed how quiet the 11-speed group is. I have heard a lot of great things about Dura Ace from friends, but, just like Andy at Competitive Cyclist - Campy is built by artisans, and Shimano is built in a laboratory.

Weaknesses:    None so far, except perhaps for the price of the group, but you wouldn't expect anything less from Pablo Picasso, would you?

Bottom Line:
Most of the people I spoke to recommended that my LBS install the groupset. Because of the tight tolerance on the 11 speed, made sense. After seeing a few videos on youtube, decided to install myself. Aside from the new cable-routing on the ergo levers, the rest was straight forward, but you do have to take some time. After all, Campy is a piece of art. As I was familiar with Campagnolo 10 speed, I knew what to expect.

I took the Look 585 on its maiden voyage today and I have one word to say - PRECISE. The Look 585 was very stable, and the groupset worked flawlessly. It only took about 5 km for me to get a rhythm going and actually felt comfortable with the shifting.

Favorite Ride:   Look 585

Purchased At:   Veloswap

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo Record 10 Speed, Campagnolo Chorus 10 Speed.

Bike Setup:   Look 585 Ultra, Mavic R-sys SL, Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow, U.S.E. Alien carbon seatpost, Ritchey Evolution bar and FSA SLK stem, Keywin CRM pedals.

Campy Record 10 Speed and Super Record 11 Speed Front Chain Ring and Crank Arm

I currently have a 53/39T with 170mm arm Record 10 Speed. Would I have shifting issues if I replaced it with a 50/34T with 170mm Super Record 11 Speed crank? ThanksRead More »

Chorus/Record 11 Speed Shifters - Mileage?

I just sent off a set of Centaur shifters for warranty replacement after about 5k miles. The thumb button on the right shifter stopped ratcheting correctly and would dump 3 or 4 cogs at a time. This has me thinking of maybe "upgrading" to 11 speed Chorus or Record. I have been reluctant to go tha ... Read More »

Using Campagnolo Record 11 shifters on shimano 10 speed system?

I really like the look and feel of campy shifters. Is it possible to use record 11 shifters where the rest of the drivetrain is 10 speed shimano? Forgive me ignorance, but I haven't seen much on this topic. I have seen a lot of stuff on using 10 speed campy shifters on 9 speed shimano drivetrain, a ... Read More »

campy super record 11 speed

crank 5 bucks at nashbars all lengths (no cups)Read More »

Questions about cranksets. FSA K-force and record 11-speed

first, will the record 11-speed work with record 10-speed chain and front derailleur? my feeling is yes, since i just had an 8-speed record crankset installed on a bicycle with 10-speed chain and front derailleur, and it works just fine. second, how do the k-force (megaexo) and the campy record c ... Read More »