Campagnolo Record-Pista Groupos

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by sc235813 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    Strong. Beautiful. Light

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but still cheaper than road stuff because there are few thing to buy.

Bottom Line:
There is quite literally very little to complain about.

Favorite Ride:   anything on my bike

Purchased At:   Business Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Miche, Dura Ace

Bike Setup:   Serotta Fixed Gear Frame, Campy cranks, Mavic OP wheelset on Dura Ace hubs, EAI cog, Wipperman chain, Chorus headset, Profile Design bullhorns, TTT stem, front brake of uncertain origin (yes, I think it's good to have one in the front...)

Submitted by Jesus Nieto a Road Racer from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Incrediblly beautiful, strong, reliable, and aero looking.

Weaknesses:    The headset. I have broken two lower cups, and they were well adjusted and used on the track only.

Bottom Line:
I am a big Shimano fan, but in the track you don't shift, you don't brake, all you want is something reliable and good looking so your competition will envy you even if they beat you. That is what this group is all about. Dura Ace is also very good, but I have also used 30 year old Campy groups and I trust them as if they were new, and the new ones are the same quality but with a jewel look!! My pals say that Dura Ace cranks are stiffer, but I am not strong enough to tell the difference. And we have a saying here: It doesn't matter how you pedal, only how you look!! (No importa como le des, sino como te ves) Just a joke, of course.

Favorite Ride:   Zempoala lagoons

Similar Products Used:   Old campy, Dura Ace track, Gipiemme

Bike Setup:   Points: Lejeune Reynolds 753
Pursuit: Custom made Columbus aero

Submitted by Ralph Brown a Road Racer from Toms River, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    Fit, finish, quality, Looks

Bottom Line:
This stuff rocks. It is hard to describe what makes something feel solid, but Campy did it with this group.
The stuff I have is a few (10) years old and It is still almost perfect. Knowing that you can trust your equipment allows you to focus on the ride. Dura-Ace is nice, but the Campy is unbeatable

Favorite Ride:   Central Park Crit

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Dura-Ace Track

Bike Setup:   DeRosa Pista

Submitted by Brian Newbury a Road Racer from Bethlehem, PA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    durability, finish, overall quality right down to the smallest washer

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I bought my track bike used 2 years ago. The frame was 4 years old, the components much older. I checked the cranks for fatigue cracks (the old nuovo record era stuff was prone to that) and they were clean. the hubs were as smooth as butter, as was the bottom bracket. after riding the bike for one season I decided to overhaul all the bearings to be safe, and when I took them apart I noticed that the locknuts were marked "61" meaning that the grouppo is now 39 years old! I find this amazing that a grouppo can last 39 years under hard riding (there's no easy riding on the track!) as still be in such good condition. I've recently purchased the new hubs and made a racing wheelset up with NOS GL280 and 330 rims, and these hubs are just as smooth. I don't care if the campy stuff is more expensive, it LASTS! I've recentlt replaced the old 151mm bolt pattern crank with a NOS 144mm nuovo record pista crank for better availablity of chainrings, but this kind of lifespan is amazing. Absolutely bombproof stuff.

Favorite Ride:   anything not in my car