Campagnolo Super Record 11 Speed Groupos

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Campagnolo Super Record 11 Speed Group 2009: 8 piece Kit - Eagerly awaited in the cycling world, Campagnolo has announced the 2009 Super Record. An extra cog, narrower chain widths and tighter chainring and cog spacing specifies Campagnolo's new 11-speed.

Submitted by Tim a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    It looks pretty, very light.
Crack set is really pretty and incredibly stiff. The outer bearings really allow for a more ergonomic alignment of the legs and feet. almost a 100% power transfer. So light that one would think they are going to break. No, they don't even flex. Very impressive.

Weaknesses:    Too expensive for its functionality.
Wearable components are too expensive to replace
shifting is not a click, like shimano.
Requires a lot of adjustment.
Not recommended for inner cable handle bars.

Bottom Line:
Not a set it and forget it type of system. Shimano Ultegra beats this set, hands down. DuraAce, leaves it in the dust.
I chose Campy, because of the reviews and because the bike I have is also Italian. The reviews are skewed, perhaps because others have not used Shimano products, or to avoid the embarrassment of having paid so much for so little.
It's a beautiful looking set, and very, very light. The issues I have is that the shifting is not precise and I have taken it to several master mechanics. The shifting is too mechanical, one has to truly swipe the shifter to actuate the shifting. Compare that to Shimano, which actuates with a click.
The brakes have no lever adjustment to be able to release the wheel quickly. one has to unscrew the adjuster and even then, the release of the wheel is forced.
The BB came lose and did the crank arm. Apply the upper limit (or more) of the torque range.
Dip the chain in a grease remover (the grease it comes with is very tacky and sticky) then oil with a very light oil. Else, after miles or riding there will be grim cake everywhere in the drive parts. Trust me, it is bad.

Favorite Ride:   Any Fast and hard one

Purchased At:   online store

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, Dura ace

Bike Setup:   2013 Pinarello Dogma

Submitted by V man a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light, pretty, great shifting, solid

Weaknesses:    Poor sprint shift, no quick release chain link, compatibility, less stiff crank than 7900? (Really not sure on this one)

Bottom Line:
I am going to attempt to be completely fair here. I love my super record groupset, it shift really well and looks beautiful - it is of course very light as well. However, it has its draw backs as a road racer. The first one is that the thumb shift is not good when springing out of the saddle - mainly because it is very difficult to shift just one gear. This is pretty sold as a campy plus point (the multi-shift) but it can cost you dearly at the end of a race if you go from the 14 to the 12 rather than the 13 (for example). I have big hands if people are interested (not an advert for lonely women, merely an ergonomic point). The groupo also suffers from not having a quick link in the chain - very difficult to clean. Other than these points, it is wonderful.

Similar Products Used:   DA 7900, Ultegra, Campy centaur, Veloce, 105, force, red

Bike Setup:   R3, super record, fulcrum racing 3

Submitted by Bobby a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Braking smoothness, rarely a glitch

Weaknesses:    cost of course

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this now for several thousand miles in just 3 months, yeah crazy, including serious mountains, went with the 12-29. Incredibly smooth, also have DA on another bike with Ultegra brakes. These blow the brakes away. Amazingly responsive

Favorite Ride:   Marinoni VR3

Purchased At:   Sleepy Hollow

Similar Products Used:   DA/Ultegra with Cannondale Six carbon

Bike Setup:   Marinoni vr3, campy super record 11

Submitted by Neilmac a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Strengths:    Esthetically beautiful. Light. Otherwise flawlessly functional.

Weaknesses:    No gruppo this expensive should have any glitches at all.

Bottom Line:
From the moment it was installed, there were glitches, particularly on the middle gears. Derailleur would not advance on first shift, then advance two gears on second shift. A little basic reading of internet sites will turn up others with the same issue.
Bicycle Pro Shop, however, is a superb store, with an excellent team of sales staff and mechanics, and they were determined to fix the glitch. They tried, and tried, and tried. They changed cables. They adjusted. They readjusted. They installed a kit put out by Campy to remedy the issue. Nothing worked. Finally, they swapped out the 2009 rear derailleur for a 2010. The gear-skipping persisted. So, they changed the front and rear derailleurs, and both brake/shifters, and the chain and the rear cassette, all at once. By that time, I'd given up on Super Record. They installed 2010 Record 11 instead, in the hope of curing the glitch once and for all.
We shall see. I Just had it done.
But I have learned the lesson about becoming an early adaptor. Don't. Wait a few generations.
I've been a lifelong Campy fan, ever since I worked in a bike shop in my teens. But this left me wishing I'd opted for the sterile, but reportedly flawless, Dura-Ace experience.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Pro Shop, Wa

Similar Products Used:   2009 Chorus/Record 9-speed mixture, plus earlier generations of Record going back to the Seventies.

Bike Setup:   Merlin Road frame, Fizik Aliante saddle and Fizik post, Campy Eurus wheelset.

Submitted by David Rosenbaum a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2009

Strengths:    Beuty, style, smooth, quiet, comfort.

Weaknesses:    Shifting is finicky, annoying "knock" in the BB. Poor warranty support from CampyUSA.

Bottom Line:
My first impressions with Super Record 11 were that of pure heaven. This groupset is so very smooth and quiet. The hoods are very comfortable and an improvement on Record 10. I am 6'3', 200# and after riding this groupset for a couple of months I started having annoying shifting problems (very finicky) and a creak/pop coming out of the BB. I worked with my local shop for months to isolate/fix the problem and we finally solved the BB issue by installing new cups. The shifting issue has not improved and despite numerous phone calls with Campy USA, the problem remains. I purchased this groupset in 12/08 and I wonder if there was a "first generation" problem with the one I have. It shifts not nearly as good as the record 10. Nobody else I know, or my LBS takes care of has had the same problem? It breaks my heart to think about going away from Campy, but my experience with this groupset has been disappointing and the warranty service from CampyUSA deplorable. Hopefully the kinks have been worked out of the system now that it has been out there for almost 1 year?

Favorite Ride:   Durango-Silverton