Campagnolo Veloce Groupos

4.28/5 (32 Reviews)

Submitted by pricetony a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Fit, finish, speed of set up, reliability.

Weaknesses:    Multiple shifts gone missing!

Bottom Line:
I had Veloce on the 1989 GT Edge - strong, durable, functional stuff. The 2008 setup looked sooo much better - prices quoted are in UK £ (not dollars!). The Ultra Torque crankset is the business - quick and easy to set up, and really WORKS - over and over.

Skeleton brakes are strong and great looking. Shifting is ultra reliable, and 10 speeds better than the 9 speed set up previously. I do miss the multiple shift ability of earlier though.

It isn't as up market as the bike (An opera Giorgione) - but is at least as good as an up market gruppo would have been when the frame was new 5 years ago.

I'm considering whether every review is positive because we stand by the decision we made in buying stuff - or because, despite wanting the kudos of Record and lots of carbon fibre - this cost a fraction of the price and works perfectly. Go fast enough, noboday can tell. Record is for car park bragging, or lottery winners, Veloce does it in the real world for me.

Favorite Ride:   Wye Valley

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   1989 Veloce, Shimano 105.

Bike Setup:   Opera Giogione Scandium/Carbon frame
Veloce groupset
Khamsin wheels
Spoon saddle
SPD pedals

Submitted by sscooterguy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    Quick, smooth and precise shifting
Never missed a gear
Takes only a few minutes to get used to
Easy for beginners because of the separation of thumb and paddle shifting. (I have gotten 2 friends into cycling on this bike).

Weaknesses:    Plastic paddle shifter
Campy pricing usually higher in comparison to Shimano/Sram compatible parts (though you get what you pay for, usually)

Bottom Line:
This is my first venture into Campy. I've ridden Shimano 105, upgraded to SRAM force, and now I built up my extra frame with Veloce. I can't speak to the installation, as I had my LBS do the build, and they are very experienced with campy.
The ride is great. Very smooth and exacting. I think SRAM force is more mechanical feeling, and Shimano has a smooth, but mushy feel in comparison. Over all, louder than SRAM force, but not annoying, just a high pitched whir.
Thumb shifts are great, the shift happens when you let go, not when you push down. They are crisp. Paddle shifts are smooth. Short throw for one gear, deeper throw for up to 3 gears at a time.
The only complaint is the paddle shifter itself is plastic. If it were alloy, harder plastic, or carbon, the shifts could be more precise and exact. However, this is the low end model line, so I guess for the price its still good.
Brakes are good, stronger than 105, but not as responsive as SRAM. I think SRAM has the strongest brakes I've ever ridden. The Veloce skeleton brakes are plenty strong, but require a deeper pull and therefore not as responsive as SRAM in my opinion.

Favorite Ride:   Boulder, Utah

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105
SRAM Force

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR 2
Full silver color veloce with skeleton brakes, standard crankset
Mavic Askium Race wheelset with continental gp 4000s'. Cheap and easy to convert shimano free hub to campy.
Total bike weight 18.2 lbs.

Submitted by johnnyo12 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    smoooooooooth, fits my hands, thumb shifts

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
this group set came on my 08 narone.
So far I love it. Shifts smooth, fairly quiet and my LBS said they can rebuild these anytime- looks like a good investment for the long haul. And, it's nice to have italian group on an italian bike....

Favorite Ride:   when the wind is at my back

Similar Products Used:   105's- but they aren't similar

Bike Setup:   08 Narone- standard set up from fact.

Submitted by mcgroup53 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    Telepathically quick shifts, utterly precision and virtually silent. There's just a feel to it that's unlike any componentry I've ever ridden before. Amazing brake modulation, too.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy, and the hoods aren't as comfy as the SRAM hoods. Takes a little time to get used to the thumb lever, which also requires some new skills to reach while riding from some positions.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding and racing since 197 and have always been a reverse Campy snob - it can't be THAT Good! Well, this grouppo came on my new Bianchi and it blows everything else I've ever ridden, including Dura-Ace and SRAM Force, away. If this is Campy's "entry level" racing group, I can't wait to try Chorus or Record!

Favorite Ride:   Southern Indiana hills

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Sun Tour, Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace, SRAM Force

Bike Setup:   2008 Bianchi 1885

Submitted by nagatahawk a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    The Crankset increasing pedaling effeciencey 30 percent. I can climb much faster than with the 105, and can sustain a 14 mph climb, until my out of shape legs give out.

Weaknesses:    the loud freewheel is actually a asset, whenever I pass, I free wheel and the all can hear me coming. its better than yelling on your left, or a very unmanly bell. lol. just kidding.

Bottom Line:
Bought my De Barnardi with Shimao 105.
the 105 brakes were weak, replace those with Campy record. the Recently replace everything else with Campy Veloce and Kamshin Campy Wheel sets.
Chris at Summit Cycles, in Westchester,CA
pro rated my 105 as a trade for the Veloce Crankset, shifters, cables, front and rear delrailer. including labor $237. the Kamshin Wheels were separate.

The Cranks are encredible, the bike is faster all around, acceleration, the wheels helped a little, but the cranks with the interlock bottom bracket/crank assemby, what a differnce,

the shifter are more comfortable when grasping them. shifts are tighter. I love the thumb shifter for up shifts. the down shift paddle behind the brake lever is way better than shimano. The Shimano brake lever acts at the down shifter and has a tendency to move and brake when shifter.

I now have 10 speed over the 9 speed Shimano.

The Veloce shifts way better than any of muy old Record derailers.

Favorite Ride:   any on my new bike.

Purchased At:   Summit Cycles, Westc