Mavic Mektronic Groupos

ELECTRONIC DERAILLEUR Wireless electronic derailleur with digitally coded radio waves. Total capacity : 30 teeth. Maximum capacity : 28 teeth. Compatible 9 speed. Battery length : 2 years or 30 000 km. Weight : 235g.

Submitted by Marcos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light and exclusive.

Weaknesses:    Shifting depends upon the speed of the derailleur wheels and is not that fast in a climb. When your computer falls to the ground there is a goud change that it is not working anymore.

Bottom Line:
Nice exclusive product. Very light and with the ssc brakes a good combination. Never ever came across some other biker using it. Athough it is said that there were a lot of issue with the reliability I never came across this. Only ran out of power once due to the fact that my batteries were old.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra, 105, Sachs New Success, Modolo Morphos, Sram Force

Bike Setup:   Trek 5500, Gass Torsk, Light Wheels, Mavic ssc, Ritchey WCS, Veloflex, Speedplay

Submitted by Marcos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light and exclusive.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by dkarjama a Road Racer from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Cassette can be used with Shimano or Campagnolo on a Mavic Wheel. Shifting is silent and very ergo at each of the three shift points. First computer to tell you which cog you're in. Groupset is very light. Brakes are as tight as D/A. It's Not a Shimano product!

Weaknesses:    Poor marketing and support by Mavic. You see it in catalogues everywhere but not O/E on any bikes (save 2000 Cannondale R4000). The shifting system was only offered from 1997 til 2002 and the Groupset was never sold (the Crank/BB was never introduced). For a company that has such a strong presence in the cycling community I've never seen this for sale in a shop off the shelf, in fact I had to order it online from france just to get the front derailleur. Therefore if I have problems not a single Canadian mechanic is familiar with the equipment!
Just poor support by Mavic for a product with such potential.

Bottom Line:
Light, Ergo, Silent, Expensive, and Unique. That is to say, very French.

Purchased At:   ebay and www.velosto