Shimano 105 5600 Groupos

3.25/5 (16 Reviews)

• The new Shimano 105 10-speed group is light & efficient.
  • Designed from the same engineering concepts as Dura-Ace and Ultegra, the new Shimano 105 maintains a unique identity while still giving the user an enhanced feel and sleek design that is backed with Shimano's proven performance.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Aurorabucky a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Ergonomics, fit and finish/design, overall functionality, 10 speeds.

Weaknesses:    Weight, Premium price

Bottom Line:
    First a quick word on many of the below reviews: Other than the left shifter problem (which has since been corrected) many of the issues that reviews on here complain about such as slower shifting with time, throwing chains, etc really come more down to cables and calibration than a group set issue. Poor limiting on derailleur travel will make Dura-Ace throw your chain. SRAM Red will change gears like a cow when the cable is stretched and things are off target.

In my case, I used this set for 6 months and 1500 miles on a Specialized Secteur Elite (now same group on a Roubaix) and had no problems. I have large hands and the 105 hoods/levers simply fit me better than SRAM, and I find I can get good leverage with them on top or in the drops. Shifting (when well calibrated) happens intuitively and lets you get down to the business of riding. Personally I found no problems shifting under load but then again I don't put out 500W after a crit jump like some reviewers may. I can however shift freely on steep hills while out of the saddle, and the ease with which I could do this has always been taken as a strength. My take is that 105 is a reliable, maintainable, durable group for recreational/endurance road and beginner racing. My intent is as components wear out, I may replace them gradually with Ultegra or Dura Ace. I think it may be a long time though before that happens, and that's ok. :)

Favorite Ride:   Tour de Whidbey

Purchased At:   Half Link Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Apex, Shimano Acera

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Submitted by sean_f a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Strengths:    - Solid feel
    - Pricing
    - Ergonomics (feel great to me, but I know not all will like the feel)
    - Reliability (I've not had the same issues some of the reviewers previously have which is odd because my bike is of early-2008 vintage)

Weaknesses:    Not really suited to the 'weight-weenie' die-hard racer, go for DA/Red/Record if you are.

Bottom Line:
    I like this set immensely. I feel it is a solid group for its price. I've ridden a bike with an Ultegra setup and while I noticed a (slight) difference, it was not significant enough for me to be left envious with 'just' my 105 setup.

For a REC-RIDER like myself (I do 100-150km/week, purely for fun/fitness), this group is fantastic. I must stress, I haven't raced with this group, nor do I intend to. I ride for enjoyment and want something that is, above all else, reliable and solid without breaking the bank. For this, the 105 group fits the bill perfectly. Oh, I used to commute and would do 200-350km/week commuting - 105 group perfect for this too; especially compared to Sora/Tiagra.

I did swap my cassette from the stock 12-25 for a 12-27 (I'm not great with hills and this helped a little). Required adjustment of the RD to avoid rubbing on the 27T cog, but nothing significant.

I'd recommend this group to anyone contemplating it - if the circumstances were right (see my comments above). I must admit though, I'm interested in trying SRAM...purely because I haven't yet, but not so much Campy and I don't know why???

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra; Tiagra on an Allez - lack of top-end 12T definitely noticeable

Bike Setup:   Cheap-crappy frame w/ no-name carbon forks and other assorted parts (saddle, stem, bars); Mavic Aksium wheelset; Conti Gator Hardshell (25s); 105 Group throughout (stock on the bike, except cassette change as mentioned)

Submitted by billwcc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2010

Strengths:    Works very well when properly tuned.

Weaknesses:    Does not shift instantly - there is a "click.. thunk". Must take it easy when shifting uphill.

Bottom Line:
    I have about 1500 miles on my bike, which has 105s. Shimano's online documentation for the 105 tells exactly how to set this group up. If those procedures are followed, the 105s work well for recreational riding. They seem not to appreciate being shifted under load, but that's ok with me, as I am not a competitive rider.

Favorite Ride:   Smooth, no cars

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Synapse 5. Koobi Century seat . Ultegra cassette and chain. 105 drivetrain.

Submitted by qwer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    Price/value/function - only 400 grams heavier than DuraAce at less than half the price.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    Have the 105 groupo on tree bikes - BMC SSX (compact), Cannondale CAAD9 (triple) and Synapse Flat Bar (triple), no problems whatsoever on circa 12000 miles (all tree bikes combined).

ABSOLUTELY no clue what the other reviewers below are talking about. What is this, campy kindergarden goes shimano bashing? Get a life. Today, in the 21th century, THERE ARE NO BAD GROUPOS anymore, only rider preferences.

If you guys hate shimano, it's OK. Buy Campy, SRAM or whatever, but don't write retarded moron reviews like the ones below.

Favorite Ride:   all

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, Veloce

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by kirand a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Shifts gears (as long as it does)

Weaknesses:    Poor quality/ durability, does not perform on the level of Campy or SRAM

Bottom Line:
    They came with the Cannondale, whitch I bought my girlfriend for her first race. During the second race on some rough roads the break levers fell apart. What more do you need on a racing day?
    We changed to Sram Rival and never had any issues any more.

Favorite Ride:   Hilly european countryside