Shimano 105 5700 Groupos

New Shimano 105 incorporates many of the benefits that were originally developed for Dura-Ace 7900 series and integrated into Ultegra 6700 series. Overall, performance and durability is enhanced while the entire group manages to drop almost 30 grams from

Submitted by ivar Hansen

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2015

Strengths:    Available WW in any shop

Weaknesses:    Dangerous design and function, cheap materials, metal bends easily, springs too soft

Bottom Line:
These parts came with my Cannondale CX bike and I rode approximately km600 on/off road. In a km75 MTB competition yesterday both the front and rear shifters broke down and I could only use 3-4 gears up and down +20 degree hills . In my +30y of biking road and offroad no other component ever let me down like these stupid ones from Shimano. Materials are cheap and vulnerable, the design is not on par with competition. At bit of sand or dust in the rear derailleur and it will not shift down one cog or will do it slowly with a lot of noise. Springs are weak and ineffective. Metal parts soft and bendable.
The STI shifters design is downright dangerrous: Because the brakehandle is used for shifting, you may not get a solid grib on it i case of emergency - in fact you may sort of push it in front of you, risking a fatal delay. Gloves will make the even worse. How this design ever became popular is unbelievable.
I cannot recommend this groupset. I'd recommend cheaper or equal components from Campagnolo or SRAM.

Submitted by T.G. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2014

Strengths:    Price for sure, seldom needs adjustment, very durable (everything is metal)

Weaknesses:    Weight... if you care about that sort of thing, exclusivity (no bragging rights), exposed shifter internals get dirty

Bottom Line:
This group came on my 2011 Scott Addict R3. Previously I had been riding a bike with Tiagra and a 5600 105 rear derailleur. I remember the first couple times riding my new bike I was amazed at how well it shifted. Sometimes you wouldn't even feel the rear single shifts. After about 5000 miles I began experiencing a fair amount of lever stick on both shifters. For some reason this would only occur on warm days, but in the cold/cool they would function properly. I tried to clean them out a couple times by spraying solvents up into them to no avail. My local bike shop tried the same procedure along with new cables. This went on for a year or so and eventually I broke down and ordered a new set of 5700 shifters. Problem solved. There is quite a bit of internals that you can see through an opening in the inside of the hoods. I believe this allowed grime and dirt to enter and eventually clog up the internals of my shifters. I am now at about 8,500 miles on this group, and recently had to replace my rear derailleur. For some reason it would not come into adjustment. I tried a new cable and rd hanger eventually swapping it out for a new 6700 RD which immediately fixed the problem. The LBS eventually came to the conclusion that my RD spring had lost tension which was causing the rear shifting problems. This is the first group that I have put this many miles on, but I have gotten the impression that these parts shouldn't wear out this quickly. Other than those two instances this group has been trouble free.

Favorite Ride:   Green Cove Rd.

Similar Products Used:   9 Speed Shimano Tiagra, 105 5600,

Bike Setup:   2011 Scott Addict R3
Upgrades: Selle Italia SLR w/carbon rails, DA 7900 Crank, Ultegra 6700 RD, Ritchey Super Logic Stem

Submitted by D Pepa

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    Price is great
Front and rear shifting is great at this price level
Love the Crank... really stiff

Weaknesses:    Rear shifting lags a bit and is probably impossible to get dialed in perfect
Front shifting still has chain rub in taboo gear combinations

Bottom Line:
I switched out from a full sora groupo to 5700 since I wanted the extra rear cog for climbing. The upgrade is noticeable and it didn't cost me my life savings. Defiantly a good groupo for a training bike but probably not the best for racing. In my experience, even if you get it dialed in properly there will still be a lag time in shifting, especially shifting from the smallest cog to the 2nd smallest or vice-versa.
Bottom Line: Really hard to complain about this group set at it's price