Shimano Dura-Ace Groupos

4.23/5 (131 Reviews)

Shimano Dura Ace Drive Train Build Kit

Submitted by Tom a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    None. The old Dura Ace worked this sucks. Calling RBM to see if I can get something to replace this crappy product.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't stay adjusted. Doesn't shift easily. Takes two motions to shift the big ring. Expensive. I have several race bikes with previous Dura Ace versions this is a horrible product. If someone recommends this, they're are lying to you.

Bottom Line:
7900 Dura Ace is supposed to have more feel which is really just harder shifting with a double shift to get in the big ring. The bottom line is that it doesn't work at all I've had the shifting adjust multiple times and it doesn't engage the big ring properly and will drop off without warning. It doesn't stay adjusted and will also drop off the small ring when downshifting. The rear derailer works better than the front, but if you liked being able to move several gears with a flick of the lever prepare to be disappointed.

Favorite Ride:   Tuesday Niter

Purchased At:   RBM

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace from STI until now, Campy Record prior to Dura Ace.

Bike Setup:   S-Works SL3 Dura Ace off the rack.

Submitted by greenorbea a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Everything compared to Campy and Sram.

Bottom Line:
Shamano Durace is no comparison for SRAM Force or SRAM Red. I had a my second bike built up with SRAM force as I had several buddies telling me how wonderful force was and how they would never go back. Its not that I was disappointed with Durace. Its that it seems so clunky and out of date, as i could never get it dialed in without some chain rub. All I have to say is in comparison for a top of the line component they definately need to keep up with the Jones's. And now that they are completely loosing the component race with SRAM in the mix they need to come up with something quick.

Favorite Ride:   Hills

Similar Products Used:   Campy and Sram

Bike Setup:   2005 Orca
Sram Force Groupo
Rolf Wheels

Submitted by oxidefilm a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    7700--NONE
7800--Too much plastic

Bottom Line:
I bought the 7700, used it for a couple months then decided to get the 7800. I love them both. I was really upset when the 7800 arrived and I discovered that the marvel in engineering that Shimano claimed to have shaved almost a pound off the group was simply changing everything they could from nice aluminum to plastic. Total garbage. That said, they are both amazing Grouppos. As far as performance is concerned, the 10sp wins, just be sure you have a competent, experienced mechanic working on it. I like the 7700 style better because there are NO plastic parts. On the 7800, the downshift levers are completely plastic, and I promise to break them just before next year's first ironman, and because shimano is such a douchebag company, Ill probably have to buy totally new levers at full retail. I rant on...Really though they are great components. Both are nice on the eyes and work flawlessly right out of the box.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   CAAD8 Full Dura Ace

Submitted by Notso100 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    Super Smooth, precise
Cheap compared to everything else at the same level.
Reasonable weight
Comfortable hoods

Weaknesses:    Chain's and Cassettes need replacing too soon

Bottom Line:
I have been very impressed, efficient, effective, economical.
I do not run the Cranks, and I now kind of regret selling them, but my FSA SLK's were near new and supposed to be lighter, and they were already fitted.
Brakes are powerful, shifters comfortable, and accurate, as are the rest of the gear system.
You do go through Chain's and Cassettes, and these bits are expensive as spare parts.
I would consider running Dura Ace for everything else and running Ultegra Chain and Cassette for a high mileage training bike. But I am a bit of a poseur so it is Dura Ace all the way for me!

Favorite Ride:   The Beach Road, Melbourne

Selle Italia Thoork
Look Keo Carbon pedals

Submitted by bryin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2007

Strengths:    Quiet, smooooth and fast shifting... just works...

Weaknesses:    levers will wear out...

Bottom Line:
The final word on bike component selection, find the Shimano group or part that fits your need and budget, buy it, ride the piss out of it and love life. The DA is so much more smooth and silent compared to Campy or Sram. I ride with guys that have both and their bikes are so much louder than mine. I know all shimano sti levers wear out in 10-15K but they are worth it. The hoods of the lever rock! Armchairs for your hands! Nice crank- using Shimano compact

Favorite Ride:   Mountains

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Record (hate the chain, hate the 150$$ tool for the chain, do not like hoods

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 5.9L use both Bontrager and Ksyrium wheels.