Shimano Ultegra SL 6600-G Groupos

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

• This new beautiful finish will give the opportunity of even more beautiful and stylish road bikes. Ultegra's ice grey finish is not only a cosmetic addition, but also features a weight saving of almost 100grams compared to the regular Ultegra package. Furthermore an Ultegra branded compact crankset will be available.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by custom60 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth, fast and accurate shifts. Strong brakes. Nice looking drivetrain with the icy gray finish.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Very smooth and crisp shifting drivetrain. Once dialed-in, the shifting, up or down, is spot on and very fast. The indexed shifting in the same direction for up/down shifts is very convenient. Brakes are quite strong and I really like the release mechanism being right there on the calipers. Near silent freewheel.

Similar Products Used:   First road bike in many years, but Shimano XT 750 MTB drivetrain.

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Tarmac Expert, Ultegra SL drivetrain and wheelset.

Submitted by velociped jones a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    looks, durability, value, two piece crank, finish. craftmanship,

Weaknesses:    no longer available at the price i paid for it.

Bottom Line:
    good stuff. nice ergonomics. a little batmanish. nice finish. improved braking.

Favorite Ride:   niagara classic

Purchased At:   totalcyling

Similar Products Used:   dura-ace 7700,ultegra 6600. 8 speed ultegra and dura-ace before that. equivalent mtb groups

Bike Setup:   frame: colnago active
    bar tape: douglas
    stem/bar: ritchey wcs

Submitted by jonnosmith4130 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Strengths:    Great shifting characteristics, super stiff cranks, good brake modulation, good value for money

Weaknesses:    None as yet

Bottom Line:
    I've been running Campy Veloce on my training bike for about a year and I still use Record on my race bike. I recently made the desision to go back to Shimano on the training bike, basically beacause a deal came up that I couldn't refuse. Well I tell you what, having gone back to Shimano it was well worth the swap, as much as Campy is a great company Shimano I believe really invest a lot more in technology. The Ultegra SL while not the top of the line is better in it's shifting, crank stiffness, all the way through to the braking modulation compared to my Record. Some of these characteristics are personal preference I admit, but overall I think this groupo is great value, while still being able to perform at a top level.

Favorite Ride:   My vintage De Rosa

Similar Products Used:   Record, Veloce, Sram Force

Bike Setup:   Merckx EXM, Record groupo, Bouwmeester t501 wheelset, Thompson post, Flight saddle, FSA bars and stem

Submitted by bluurr a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    shifting is precise, smooth, light, quiet. plus it compliments the color of the of my bike which is grey. the best color that shimano had use in their gruppo

Weaknesses:    none that i could think of.

Bottom Line:
    i did get to use the 9spd ultegra and dura ace a few months, to test myself if i could get into road bike riding, and the tried the 10spd 105, all i could say is that the shifting is so smooth and light. riding in a pack, i could go for a surprise attack as it shifts quietly the only thing that came close to it was the 9spd dura ace.

Favorite Ride:   western part of talac provonce

Purchased At:   agnes bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   the 9spd dura ace

Bike Setup:   08 trek 1.9 with ultegra drivetrain, mavic cosmic elite.

Submitted by cyclesport45 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    I'm never racing the Tour de France. These components are better than I really need, and they work REALLY WELL.

Weaknesses:    The Ultegra SL "Ice Grey" finish is stunning. Just hope that Shimano keeps stock so I can replace stuff as it wears out.

Bottom Line:
    Got the full Ultegra SL groupo with Motobecane Immortal Ice. Including pedals. I've been riding on Shimano 105 or Ultegra for the past 20 years, so I'm well aware how much better NEW components are compared to the OLD that are being replaced. Taking that into account, these components are all markedly superior to previous ultegras I've owned. The bottom bracket.. rock solid, silent. Brakes.. strong as hell, and SMOOTH. And the shifting.. the best I've ever shifted, by a lot. And, this is all right out of the box. I have yet to fine tune the shifting yet. The pedals feel excellent, I've used Looks for 20 years, and the Ultegra Sl pedals feel like I'll NEVER accidentally unclip in a sprint. And, I also have the Ultegra Wheelset too. As I haven't put enough miles on them yet to form an opinion, I'll just say that they seem of comparable quality to the rest of the groupo.

Favorite Ride:   Any Fast Group Ride