Home | Reviews | Groupos | SRAM

SRAM Rival Groupos

Feel like a pro with Sram Rival group build kit. For your everyday training, long rides on the weekends, as well as an exceptional cyclocross performer, SRAM Rival is the perfect match. With sleek carbon brake levers you have the feel and look of pro comp

Submitted by Jeb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, crisp shifting, easy setup and maintenance, double tap...etc.
Shimano - smooth. SRAM - hard. I like the feel of the SRAM over the Shimano stuff that I used to have. Personal preference! Love the chain, shifting...repeating myself already.
Quiet when running, and noticeable shifting. Love it.

Weaknesses:    None for the price. I would like the removeable quick link that was on 9 speed mountain groups. I will look at other chains.
If your bike has an external BB (GXP, Mega Exo, etc), only SRAM cranks are compatible with SRAM BB. I believe that Race Face, FSA, and Shimano are all interchangeable as far as BB/cranks, might nto be "recommended" but I believe they will work.

Bottom Line:
As per above. Shimano is smooth. Have used Sora 8, Tiagra 9, 105 10, Dura Ace 9. Dura Ace 9 was ridiculously smooth. actually it was unbelievable. Picked up a Giant TCX W for my wife, and was hooked on the noticeable shift almost immediately. Loved the double tap. Now both my bikes also have Sram Rival. I was building a new bike and a guy posted a brand new Rival Group for $450 because he wanted Ultegra like all his friends, so the price was great for my build. I wasn't partial at the time because I liked the 105 I had on my cross bike. Since then, I have converted my cross bike to 105, and now we have three Rival groups in the house.

Submitted by Andrew Sutherland

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Very direct feel when shifting. The double tap levers have a much snappier feel than the Shimano 105's. Cool looking carbon brake levers. The brakes modulate well and stop confidently. Easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    The crankset is a bit heavy, but that is no surprise for this price point.

Bottom Line:
Very satisfied with the SRAM rival groupset. Looking back, I am happy I picked rival over 105. This groupset is a good value for the price I paid for the bike (about 1700)

Submitted by Bikedave1234 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2011

Strengths:    Great value. You can interchange components with other Sram groups to suit your needs.

Bottom Line:
I am a Sram convert after having used a full Red group on my road bike. Recently I removed the 105 group from my cross bike and replaced it with a Rival group (Shifters and Derraileurs). I was a little concerned about installation because I have not previously installed Sram derraileurs on my own. I followed the simple instructions provided and set up the group without any problems. I also used the Sram slick wire brake cables and housings. They work well. There is little point in installing nice components if you do not also install good cables and housings.

Rival works just like Red although I can feel the shifts a little more. This is okay because this is a Cross bike and I need to know the shift actually happened. The group works well and I would not hesitate to install a Rival group on a road bike. Once you get used to Double Tap you will never go back.

I would consider this group to be a great value rather than cheap.

Similar Products Used:   Sram Red, Shimano Ultegra and 105.

Bike Setup:   Trek XO1 with Sram Rival Shifters and derraileurs, Frog Legs brakes, Mavic Open Pro Wheels with Chris King cross hubs.

Submitted by slegros a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    Incredible value. Great crankset, FD, Cassette

Weaknesses:    -Plastic pivot in the RD-although so far it has worked flawlessly-just seems cheap.
-No zero-loss in the rear shifter
-Addition of the stiffer arm, centre adjust, spring tension on the force caliper may make them a worthwhile upgrade.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Rival build kit from Excel sports a while back. I like the Group but in my opinion there are a few items worth upgrading. I dislike the plastic pivot on the RD but so far it works great-just looks cheap and out of place. The Zero-loss rear shifting found on the Red shifters I like much better and think is worth the upgrade. The calipers while decent, I think are worth upgrading to Force to get the stiffer arms, centering, spring tension adjust. The Rival cranks are beautiful-some of the nicest alloy cranks I've ever used. likewise the FD, 1070 cassette, BB are great value and hard to be improved on.

A great group for the money, but some corners were cut to deliver it at such a great price... Hey that's why there's Force and Red!

Purchased At:   Excel sports

Similar Products Used:   Sram, Campag, Shimano....

Bike Setup:   Look 585 w/SRAM

Submitted by serottaCOII a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    good straight ahead braking. Hoods are comfy. Long throws for 3 up shifting is nice but can also be frustrating if not intentional.

Weaknesses:    Front derailuuer is crap.Bottom bracket is cast without any machining...very cheap but fine until you have to maintain it.

Bottom Line:
This stuff is crap. I am so disappointed in this grouppo. I am an open minded and cost conscious rider who will try new equipment especially in this day and age when bikes are just ridiculously expensive. For example I rode Suntour GPX components back in the day and loved them. Easy to adjust and STAYED ADJUSTED! Ultegra is good but can be finicky when adjusting. Ive put a little over 1000 miles on this group in the last 2 months. The brakes are great with the exception of nasty modulation if you get caught braking in a cornering situation. The rear derailleur shifts well but the front is CRAP. The cable must be adjusted so tight for the 53-11 that the trim becomes useless in a 53-25 combo. I have had the chain mis-wrap when shifting from the 53 to the 39 in the middle of the cluster on at least 6 different occasions. This is not user error. This is in climbing situations where I will upshift the rear at least 3 first (too keep from "spinning out" and dropping the chain) and then drop from the 53 to the 39. I’m not sure what happens but I speculate the rear derailleur does not take up the chain slack fast enough. The bike spends way to much time on the stand. The drive train is excessively noisy and the 39 x 11,12 &13 combos are useless because of front derailleur rub. Back to Shimano for me.