Bebop Inc. BeBop Pedals

3.25/5 (8 Reviews)

• The bebop virtues are light weight
  • Forged and CNC-machined
  • Weight : 210g
  • Spindle : Heat treated cromoly steel

Submitted by TBOP a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Release tension is non-adjustable and much too light to keep the pedals engaged, even on easy climbs. Don't even think about working out of the saddle on these, unless you enjoy crashing. New out of the box, properly installed, and properly engaged, these pedals would not keep me locked in even during moderate exertion. After abandoning the ride and re-installing a few times, I took them off for good and went back to the Ritcheys.

Bottom Line:
The light weight and float are useless because the pedals are useless. Why waste time and money on a pedal that provides nothing remotely resembling a secure lock-in? They are worth less than the space they occupy in the spare parts bin. No more purchases of pedals w/o adjustable release.

Favorite Ride:   Wherever there are more hills than cars

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Ritchey Logic, Ritchey V4.

Bike Setup:   Off-brand carbon, Ultegra, Mavic Aksium

Submitted by hummina shadeeba a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2012

Strengths:    light. low stack height. durable cleat.

Weaknesses:    sometimes they come with some play and setting them up so that they will engage can take a small shim.

Bottom Line:
When they are set-up right, which isn't too hard, and when you get a set that is tight (some come looser from the start), and when you drill your shoes for two hole...then they're nicer than speedplay in terms of durability, weight, and stack height.

Favorite Ride:   paradise dr

Purchased At:   numerous

Similar Products Used:   speedplay. campy record. spd. time

Bike Setup:   various

Submitted by ben.pdx a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    free float, easy in-out

Weaknesses:    have to modify mtb shoes to mount cleats, distorted cleat from overtightening mounting bolts will affect engagement to pedal, when you need to rebuild these pedals get ready for bad time, my cleats seem loose and they rattle on the pedal when I ride

Bottom Line:
I'm a fan of free-float pedals since a knee issue came up years ago on a week long tour. Decided to use speedplay x pedals and am still happy with them. Wanted another type of f-f pedal for a mtb shoe that the sp-x won't work with. The choice is either bebop or sp-frogs. I chose bebop because of other reviews. I have 1 pr on the bike in this review and 2 more on our tandem. If you can deal with the install issues and adjustments, bebops are great... until the rear seal fails and you have to rebuild. There are rebuild kits (Universal Cycles) but there are no instructions and no info on the website. I went into this blind with the following problems: 1) the screw that must be removed after the circ clip is phillips head and very soft, you will strip it so plan on getting an e-z out to get it out, 2) after you get the body off the spindle you will find that the outer sealed bearing comes off easily, but the inner roller/needle bearing will not come out. This is where I am today with 2 destroyed bodies, several tools and liquid solvent products bought to try to remove them without success. I'm convinced that the steel shell of the bearing has bonded to the alloy pedal body or it's so tight in tolerance that it was never meant to come out after being pressed in by a machine!!! If someone reading this has been successful in rebuilding one, let me know how you got the inner bearing out. It seems that if bonding of 2 different metals is a potential problem, the manuf should have used a little anti-sieze compound during assembly. For this reason I'm going to give speedplay frogs a try. My ratings are low but not the lowest because the pedals were pretty good while they worked.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Tricross S Works

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   speedplay x, speedplay frog

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works Tricross with Campy 10 speed etc

Submitted by Ian T a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Double sided entry, light, plenty of float, no hot spots

Weaknesses:    could use a cleat cover

Bottom Line:
Excellent light weight, worked better for me than Speedplay Zero's. Engagement easy and psoitive, no issues with disengaging

Favorite Ride:   Tour De Cure

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   shimarno SPD, Speedplay Zero

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, full Ultegra setup, Orbea Orca full Sram Rival setup

Submitted by MMELVIS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great on knees.

Weaknesses:    Finicky locking system sometimes takes a while to get clicked in. Most unacceptable is that the right pedal now unclips during regular cycling at a moderate clip. Stopped using the pedals due to downright dangerous condition. Light user, good maintenance, simply inexcusable! Cleats are the weak link.

Bottom Line:
They were good for a while. These pedals allowed me to ride pain free after SPD pedals nearly put me on crutches. The non-centering float is just the ticket for forty something knees.

Favorite Ride:   Egypt Valley