Campagnolo Record Pro-Fit Pedals

4.2/5 (35 Reviews)

• Store Price

Minimal profile. Large contact area. Pedal engagement is independent of the adjustable release tension. Compatible with Look bolt pattern. 6 degree float. Compatible with ErgoBrain cadence insert. The Record Pro-Fit uses a triple sealed bearing.

Submitted by Jean-Pierre Poulio

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Holds you in the pedal; low profile; turn on the spindel well; easy to get out.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in if you are not paying attention.

Bottom Line:
I've tried Look pedals and switched to Campagnolo Pro-Fit about 10 years ago. They performed well in every situation (race; climb; wet; dry). The best price vs quality you can buy. Until you are accustomed to theses pedals, you will find them hard to clip into. The edjustment is easy and will help in that regard. You can't be sloppy at putting your foot in the pedal. Unlike Shimano!

Submitted by Jared Purdy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Typical Campagnolo quality: highly polished alluminum, light with ti axle, great bearings, super smooth. Three year warranty! Easy entrance and exit, solid feel, good platform.

Weaknesses:    Cleats are made from a type of plastic that makes walking in them difficult. It is quite hard, and therefore slippery on almost any surface. Can't attest to their durability or lack there of. Only time will tell

Bottom Line:
When I was racing in the 1980's, bike frames were made from steel, and pedals where either alloy or magnesium. Fast forward to 2005, when I bought a new bike (Colnago Master with Campy Record 10 speed), and I was surprised at the offerings of carbon pedals. Time or Look were the pedals that most of the retailers were pushing, with Campy Profit being relegated to the back of the pack for being "too heavy". Sure, Dura Ace held its own, but even that pedal was being pushed out of the game by everyone wanting to save a gram, and get on the carbon bus. Well, its been five years, and I have gone through THREE pairs of Time RSX pedals. Let me be clear: I do not race, and I am very gentle with my bike. The first pair, which came with the bike in August 2005, had the body unscrew from the axle while I was out for a ride in the country (after about 5000 kms). The second pair, the body broke in half after 5000 kms, and now the third pair, has the wire clamp that holds the cleat in place coming loose. I'm done with this product, and it will be a cold day in hell before I ride with carbon pedals again!! I installed the Campy Pro Fit Plus, and I cannot understand what all of the negative press is about. They are alloy, typical Campy quality, enter and exit with ease, solid platform, low clearance, great bearings, and a paltry 20 grams heavier than the Time RSX. Really people, if you can't push another 20 grams, hang up the bike! Carbon is a great product for many components, but pedals shoudl be metal.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere the roads are smooth and the cars are far and few between.

Purchased At:   modernbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Various Time pedals, going back to the first model, Shimano SPD.

Bike Setup:   2005 Colnago Master with Colnago Street carbon fork, complete Campagnolo Record 10 speed groupo, Cinelli RAM bar/stem combo, San Marco Regal saddle (with ti rails)NOS Campagnolo Delta Strada XL 32 hole tubulars, Conitental Sprinter tubulars, Garmin Edge 500 heart rate monitor.

Submitted by plunt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Strengths:    Well designed, well built. Will look after the cyclists' weakest joint

Weaknesses:    None, unless you could a few grams of weight as a weakness

Bottom Line:
I used SPDs for years but moved to a racier shoe when I wanted to get fitter and faster. Touring and walking type shoes for SPDs are surprisingly heavy with their thick soles. Also under strain the SPDs can creak on long climbs (a lot of force on a small metal contact area). I used Look, - old then Keo models, for about 3 years but started getting knee problems. Eventually this was found to be due to excessive float in the Looks that allowed my foot to pronate outwards (the outside of my foot rotated down under force, pulling the knee out, away from the top-tube). I switched to Time and found the flat, stable platform wonderful. Within weeks I was riding without problems - well just the one; the Times were a sod to click into. Other reviewers had noted this, but I have been cycling since the days of the old toe-clips and straps, so I thought it couldn't be that bad and I'd get the knack. Well it was awful. Sometimes I could click in immediately, other times I was fighting the pedal for miles, and understanding why some users can break these plastic based bodies. If it takes over 30 years experience plus a few months break-in period, well that's not user error, that's bad design.
I saw the Campagnolo pedals were flat with a small extension to add flat-foot stability so I got some. Had to use ebay as few shops stock these. First, the bearings are superb. a tiny amount of pre-load, but so smooth. Out-class both Look and Time in this regard. The pedals have the same nice low Q factor of the Time and are stable and flat. The click-in and flick out is the best of any pedal I have ever tried. An excellent mix of engineering and design. The metal on metal contact "click" is just nicer and more positive than even the Looks. The adjustment settings actually have an effect, whereas on other pedals the changed from "loose" to "tight" fit was so slight as to rate the adjustment feature a gimmick.
A few months ago I was wondering if I should just switch back to SPDs on all my bikes. Now I am seriously considering switching my touring / about town bike to Campag pedals, and give up the convenience of easy walking in cycling shoes for such a stable foot platform and a great bit of kit. I am left wondering why these third party manufacturers are so dominant in the stores when Campagnolo - and Shimano - make such great groupsets.
Contrary to other reviewers I think the cleats will last as the plastic exposed to wear is not an important part. The metal on metal key bits are well protected. We'll see.

Favorite Ride:   Any road without cars

Purchased At:   Procyclingdiscount o

Similar Products Used:   SPDs, Look, Time, Christophe, Lyotard, rat-traps and other things out of the late stone age

Bike Setup:   Custom Ti with Eurus wheels and mixed Campag kit. Brooks Swift saddle. Pretty red Conti tyres (daughter's choice)

Submitted by cavedave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Strengths:    Great looks easy to set up easy to getinto and out of. Really smooth nice bearings.I also got a good price on them.

Weaknesses:    cleats anr not the best in the world could be stronger or made to last longer

Bottom Line:
I bought these after using other pedals mostly because my bike is all Campy record so the pedals work well with the group. These pedals are great I can not figure out all the problems getting in to them these are about the easiest pedals to get into I have ever used very easy to set up to. Mabey cause i have been riding and working on bikes for most of my 53 years. Great product

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   shinano look style. looks CX6 carbon and speed plays

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralite full Campy Record 10 speed Brooks swift ti saddle. Thomson road stem.

Submitted by papafrog a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2006

Strengths:    Look nice, sturdy pedals, easy clip out. Fairly light at 266 grams.

Weaknesses:    Platform a bit to small for my taste, difficult to clip in and for me I never really could get used to it the way I needed to in order to feel good about it. Very expensive, paying for the brand.

Bottom Line:
I switched to these when I switched from DA to Record to match the group. Formally had Dura Ace 7750's. Never clipped out accidentally. Clipping otu was easy and a nice little float. Problem with these pedals is clipping in. Compared to the DA pedals, these are much harder to get used to clipping in and even after a few thousand miles I found myself thinking way to much about clipping in and that was enough for me to say ciao to them. I don't want to have to think twice about my equipment so these had to go. I will say that once clipped in, the pedal was equal to that of the DA pedals. The cleats also held up well, I could have easily put a few thousand more miles on them before they wore out. I'd give the nod to DA though because it has a bigger platform thus making it easier to clip in without any thought or looking down. I've since switched to Look Keo Ti's, they are more similar to the DA pedals with a wider platform, are lighter and look great.

Favorite Ride:   Any sunny day.

Purchased At:   eBay