Coombe Millenium II Pedals

Engineered from the inside - out to provide the highest level of quality, reliability and biomechanical efficiency, COOMBE MILLENNIUM ll PEDALS are manufactured to the highest standards in Boulder, Colorado USA.
-AeroDynamic
-Low Profile
-High Strength
-Pedal System

Submitted by bobf

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2017

Strengths:    Great pedal, durable cleats.

Weaknesses:    Takes some getting used to.

Bottom Line:
I was concerned the Coombe system would give have limited float or that it would be easy to unclip accidentally if I were to pivot my foot. However there is plenty of float and I can feel a stop point before any risk of unclipping. If you get the universal cleats, make sure the screws are tightened firmly to avoid any rotation of the cleat. Clipping in is different, as most people have said. At first it was sometimes automatic and sometimes difficult; you just have to practice. Unclipping feels like about like my previous Look Keos.

Similar Products Used:   Look Keo

Submitted by S Free

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2015

Strengths:    Strong, Great Looking

Bottom Line:
I’ve been a recreational rider for about 15 years and have used Shimano and Look pedals in the past. A friend told me about the Coombe Millennium pedals when I was upgrading the other components on my Seven. The 60 day guarantee and my friend’s recommendation convinced me to give them a try - I’m glad I did. The pedals are incredibly stable, easy to get in and out of (with a little practice), and they look great.. Also, the rubber padding around the cleats makes it easier to walk around than with the other systems. These are great pedals that I think surpass the alternatives.

Submitted by Nick C a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2015

Strengths:    These are a great set of pedals. It gives you the impression that the designer took a long look at other pedal designs, noted carefully what was wrong with them, got rid of the unnecessary crap, and spared no manufacturing expense to produce a very functional and elegant pedal. I'm coming from Speedplay Zeros, which, to be honest, I got in part because they were a popular pedal; surely they must be good, right? And while the Speedplays were ok, I already note a bunch of things I like better about the Coombes compared to the Speedplays. The Coombe cleats, with their rubber pads, are totally walkable; walking around in Speedplay cleats, you're liable to damage the cleat, the floor, or yourself when you wipe out. With the speedplays, I had to screw the cleat screws not too loose (or the screws fall out), not too tight (or you can't clip in); the Coombe cleats just tighten down to the shoe and that's it.
The stack height for the Coombes is even lower than the Speedplays I believe, especially when you factor in the 4-hole-to-3-hole adapter you need for Speedplays.
Clipping in to the Coombes requires very little pressure (although clipping in is slightly different to other pedals), and what's remarkable is that they feel _extremely_ solid when clipped in (no slop whatsoever), and yet clipping out also requires little twisting force. The float on the Coombes feels very much like Speedplays (i.e. very free) except that the float range is smaller on the Coombes. They look great too.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses that come to mind are the price, which is high, and that the cleats are less adjustable than most (although there are 3 different cleat options when you buy). The price is high, but it seems like I hear almost uniformly from long-term users that the cleats last much longer than other pedals, probably due to their simple design and lack of little springs and things. Not really a weakness, but clipping in is a little different (requires a step-and-twist), but you quickly get used to it. Speedplays took longer to get used to, I felt.

Bottom Line:
All in all a great pedal. It's a fine bit of bike bling, and despite not being made by a "big" name, they work better than the more popular pedals I've tried.

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay Zero

Submitted by CatOne a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2015

Strengths:    These are the most solid pedals in existence. Stack hight is low, they are extremely (I may say perfectly) solid and stable, and they're really the best pedals that exist anywhere. I say this as a user of Speedplay, Time, and Shimano pedals. I cannot overstate how great these pedals are. They really define excellence.

Weaknesses:    The entry of the pedals is different. You have to put your foot in the right position and do a heel out/heel in maneuver. It takes a bit of getting used to, but within a couple days you'll get used to it.

There is NO adjustment of the cleats. They are fixed. You cannot adjust side-to-side at all. You have to choose fore/aft when you buy the cleat. Note the lack of adjustability is a blessing and a curse. Once you get it right, it takes about 30 seconds to install or replace cleats. No fiddling. The downside is it may not be 1 mm perfect to what your current cleats are. You'll adapt ;-)

Bottom Line:
Really these pedals are outstanding. They have some float. It's fairly similar to Speedplay float in that it's a pivot around the center of the cleat. It can be less free or more free depending on whether you lube the cleats.

The bearing design is outstanding. The durability of them is outstanding. The stability is outstanding.

It may sound like I'm gushing and I am. I rode Speedplays for about 10 years before going to Coombe pedals in 2003 or so. The Coombes were so much better and more stable than the sloppy Speedplays it was miraculous. I went from the Coombe Pros to the Millenniums in 2006 or so, then Coombe vanished from the face of the earth for about 8 years (I don't know the story here, but I continued using my pedals until about 2010 when the cleats wore out and were too sloppy). I used Shimano Dura-Ace pedals then for about 4 years, and they were good pedals but had a higher stack height and were less comfortable for me than the Coombes, and they were much less positive in a sprint (I'm a sprinter and I pull up when I start my sprint, and I could feel the Dura-Ace pedals flex and open the jaw a bit, though I never had an accidental release). I saw Coombe re-emerged from the void late last year, so I got a couple sets of pedals and a few sets of cleats, and I'm ecstatically happy they're back in business.

Really, I should probably keep these things a secret, as they're an advantage. But I'm older now and not racing as much so I'm doing you all a solid. Buy these pedals. They're worth their (high) price and more.

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay X-2, Dura-Ace, Time RXS

Submitted by steve r a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2015

Strengths:    connection between shoe and pedal seemed to add power to my stroke

Weaknesses:    I could not find any.

Bottom Line:
Today was my first ride with these pedals and I instantly felt a better connection between my shoe and petal. I don't suspect that they will propel me from being a 47 year old cycling enthusiast to a tour rider but I did seem to feel more power with each stroke. I came from speedplay's and had riden shimano for many years, and I felt a difference immediately. Speedplay is a fine pedal but the Coombe felt much better to me. The machining is a work of art, absolutely perfect, and his 60 day guarantee showed me that they were confident in their product and stood behind it. I recommend them highly!

Favorite Ride:   ward raymond loop