Crank Brothers Candy TI Pedals

• 4-sided entry
  • Weight :252g

Submitted by zmille2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Durability and weight. Easy to bail out of before you face plant. No adjustments necessary.

Weaknesses:    None I have found besides the price. But you do get what you pay for (usually).

Bottom Line:
I have had these pedals (the actual Ti pedals not the SL) for over 3 years now and have had no problems with them at all. I mostly use them on my Titus for mountain riding but recently moved them to my Tarmac because I haven't found a road pedal that I like yet. I probably have over 2k miles on them and they are awesome. Might be a little too much float for long distance road riding but I haven't noticed that yet.

Favorite Ride:   Immigration

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   several shimano pedals

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac comp

Submitted by DBartley a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Cost and ease of entry and exiting.

Weaknesses:    LOOSE!!! Very loose feeling when clipped in.

Bottom Line:
I bought these pedals for cyclocross racing and off season training. I have always used Look Keo pedals and the Crank Brother Candy's are a big change. I am using the Adidas Ultra MTB carbon shoes. The biggest issue I have is with the float. These pedals are LOOSE!!!! I feel as if my foot is coming out on every pedal stroke. I am coming from the road and very tight floats on Look pedals. It is easy to clip in and out. Very easy to clip out. I hope in a few months I can get used to the feel but it is strange to feel like you are walking on ice.

Favorite Ride:   Brasstown

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Fuji Cross Pro

Submitted by antman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    Float
Easy entry/exit
Bikeisland.com has them cheap w/free shipping
was considering Quatro's but didn't feel like shaving off tread from my MTB shoes to make 'em fit

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I too have the SL (chromo) and like them very much. Use them with Shimano SH-M181L mtb shoes cuz I'm too cheap to buy new shoes. I'm a convert to road so I can't compare to actual road pedals but I do prefer these to Shimano SPD's. Had to use the shims in-order to clip in. Work great.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Kestrel RT700, FSA Crank, Durace, Ritchy WCS bars, wheelset, seat post, etc...

Submitted by Harry a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Easy in & out. Nice yellow look that compliments my blue Felt and yellow Vredesteins.

Weaknesses:    So far, none.

Bottom Line:
Haven't ridden since the 80's when toe clips were the standard set-up. A nagging friend coaxed me back into the sport. A bicyle illuminati pushed me into the mod'rn clipless pedal thangs. The Candy C's are for mountain biking, I'm told, but the illuminati said these would be fine for my road bike touring purposes. He was right. Combined with the Shimano MTB shoes (I just can't find any SIDIs or Diadoras or anything of shoe substance that doesn't squeeze my toes and scrape my nails) they were a delight on the 55 mile Rosarito to Ensenada MX ride. Easy in & out. I see that the Bros have a road pedal with more of a platform, but no need to switch to a heavier pedal. I can't do a comparison to the big names like LOOK, etc. until I try them out. But I'm happy with these. The price was right at Performance Bike and these seem to be on sale for half the price every week.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Campy toe clips. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bike Setup:   Felt 60.

Submitted by brownbear a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Easy entry and release.
Solid platform
Easy Installation
They do not clog if you step in mud.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Put these on my Surly Cross Check that I use for comuting and recreational rides including some light trial riding. They work great. Easy to engage, easy to release. The platform provides a stable base to get the most out of each peadal stroke. Even on a century ride, I had no hot spots like I have had with previous SPD and speedplay pedals. I am planning on doing some cyclocross races this year so the easy entry and exit will come in handy.The pedals do not clog up with mud like I have experienced with speedplays so that should help as well. A well designed pedal system. I am plannning on adding the road version to my Road/TT bike for next year.

Favorite Ride:   Tunnel Hill Rails-for Trails

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD
Speedplay X SS

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross Check Frame/Fork
FSA Gossmer Compact Crank(50X34)
FSA FD