Crank Brothers EGGBEATER SS Pedals

3.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Eggbeater pedals offer outstanding performance in all conditions. The four-sided design is easy to clip into, and sheds mud easily. Unlike many other pedal systems, the retention does not affect the release tension - that is, the pedals holds you securely, yet still releases easily (unlike other systems which become harder to release from if you increase the retention).

Submitted by Evilbofh a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Great feel light stay clean..

Weaknesses:    HIGH maintenance! prone to bearing failure! weak cleats.
Best kept on the shelf...

Bottom Line:
Great feel. light. stay clean.

HIGH maintenance! prone to bearing failure weak cleats. Need to be grease often, bearing give out without warning, then the pedal falls off.. (they should be delivered with rebuild kits!)

Dont waste your money if you want pedals you can trust. (possible due to my 80Kg and many city limit races...) Lighter slower rider might enjoy..

Purchased At:   chainreactions

Similar Products Used:   Shimano MTB pedals. Look road pedals.

Bike Setup:   several road / cross bike all sram rival or force.

Submitted by flipmoe a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Great idea, I don't think that they're really right though.

Weaknesses:    Lacks feeling of positive engagement.
Cleat wears really fast, don't do any off-bike walking.
Hard to clip-in
Foat feels like ice skating, even after adjustment

Also - if the pedal hits your leg, you'll wind up in ER w/ 5 stitches

Bottom Line:
One word can sum up the entire experience. "Meh."

They're not 'bad' pedals per se but I really don't like how they feel. There's no positive engagement, and it's hard to find the clip-in point quickly.

Since there's no cleat and no pedal to give you a frame of reference, you wind up fishing for the engagement point. Sometimes you'll click in without any noise at all and I'll have to doublecheck just to make sure that I'm actually in.

Favorite Ride:   South Bay - SantaCruz

Purchased At:   Evolution Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay Zero, Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Lemond Versailles (Carbon/Steel), Ultegra Pedals

Submitted by pbird74 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Easy in/out, light, tough,need I say more?

Weaknesses:    Buy the harder version of cleats if you can. If not, who cares, really.

Bottom Line:
I love these pedals. I will not go to Shimano, LOOK, or any other style.

Favorite Ride:   Lovely Mount

Purchased At:   rbr.com classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Toe clips?

Bike Setup:   2005 Raleigh Supercourse. Ultegra, FSA Carbon, Thomson, Mavic, etc.

Submitted by Chipotle Fan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Works as advertised.

Weaknesses:    No click sound when you release.
Very unnatural feeling when peddling.
Takes too much of a heel twist angle to release.
I think they're dangerous on a road bike.

Bottom Line:
Having purchased my first road bike with clipless pedals I chose the Eggbeaters because of their simple design, four-sided entry, low maintenance and recessed cleats. I came to realize that those are all the wrong reasons for choosing a road pedal.

From day one I had problems releasing. I would come to a stop, twist my heels, lean over to stand, only to find that my foot never released and thump, asphalt massage. I soon learned to release from the pedals before coming to a stop so that wouldn’t happen anymore. I found that my riding was becoming apprehensive, especially downhill. Instead of feeling like I was pedaling the bike, I felt more like my feet were strapped to a couple of metal bars and I wouldn’t be able to release in an emergency situation.

I decided to try a conventional ski-binding type of pedal and chose Shimano. The difference is amazing. I hear a loud click when I disengage so there’s no question when I’m in or out. My foot pressure is now spread evenly across the entire front of my shoes and I feel like I’m pedaling a bike, not strapped to a couple of bars. Yes, walking with Shimano cleats is not as easy as the recessed Eggbeater cleats however I would never trade that small inconvenience for control and safety on my bike.

Favorite Ride:   50 Miles and Hilly

Similar Products Used:   Shimano - Works great.

Bike Setup:   Trek Pilot w/Ultegra Groupset

Submitted by flyingdutch a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    Ease of use
weight
clearance
engagement

Weaknesses:    longevity
built of the wrong stuff!

Bottom Line:
First, let me say I love these pedals.
However, after many iterations, variations, tweaks and fashion statements there are some fundamental flaws still not being addressed by the Brothers Crank.
All the positives (low weight, clearance, ease of use, mudproof etc) are true.
But the single biggest issue of their entire range is longevity. Many mtb riders i know had an affair with beaters but 12 months later ditched 'em.
Problems.
The spring gets 'tired' and thus the pedals lose their tightness of engagement.
I even snapped on of the arms. After 3 months of commuting/light use.
The Allen key hole in the centre of the spindle has ridiculously small engagement face, so prey your allen key is a snug fit. I now have a crankset rendered useless because i cannot get the pedal off. The shop had a go (and they are good!) but it will require some butchery.
But the single biggest flaw with the beater and related range is one part which seems to be common to their entire range as far as I can tell. Its the plastic, yes PLASTIC shim that sits in the centre of the bearing/innards arrangement. So, you can expect your pedals to disintegrate (as 3 of my pairs have ths far) leavng you with a partial pedal assembly on your foot, an axle left on your crank and bits of bearing assembly and other pieces along the road behind you. I have achieved this now 3 times. I don't ride offroad (well, rarely) and the last 12 months have been silly/dry here and I have done a bearing-kit swap.
After 4 pairs (1 x SL's 1 x Candy, 1 x C and 1 x MXL)
and trialling Quattro Ti's I am done.
If the Brothers Crank ever fix their flaws, I'll be back because these pedals do rock, but I expect pedals to last more than 12 months of average use

Favorite Ride:   BR(x)