Crank Brothers Quattro SL Pedals

3.81/5 (43 Reviews)

»Light system weight
(363g per pair with the cleats)
»Great cleat/pedal contact area
»Adjustable cleat position
»Narrow Q-factor
»Tight cornering clearance
»Smooth rotational precision
»Dependable entry and exit
»Great cleat retention during sprints

Submitted by Don a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    Really like the platform

Weaknesses:    Takes time to get use to clipping in and out. Got mud in the clips made hard to clip in and out. Have to keep clean to insure ease of clipping in and out

Bottom Line:
I have had SPDs Look and the Crank Bros. quattro Sl I have over 8,000 miles on my pedals. Rode 4 Centuries this year. Ride 60 or more miles a week. Weight is around 170
I never have had a problem with breakage.

Favorite Ride:   Cool Breeze

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Look and Shimano SPDs

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 year 2001 have a total of 15,000 on the bike

Submitted by Traaen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Ease of entry and exit; multi sided, one format for all types of riding, price, customer serivice from Crank Brothers

Weaknesses:    Reliability, bearings, weight. come on crank get it together, just copy Shimano, Look or Mavic!!

Bottom Line:
I have Crank Brothers on all my bikes, including egg beaters, candy, smarty, and quattros. I posted a review in 07 stating how much i likethe products. I still like the concept but have trouble justifiying continuing to use these when I have had 3 springs on quattros and egg beaters break, a pair of candys self destruct, a spindle break on eggbeaters, and the side plates come off 2 quattros.

Favorite Ride:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey mtn, Time mtn. Shimano road, Look road, Mavic Road, Shimano SPD-R, old school toe clips.

Bike Setup:   Scott, Colnago, Merckx, Bianchi, K2 cross & TT, GT Mtn.

Submitted by 10beers a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    Cleat durability as CB's come with a plastic surround to protect cleat. Minimal maintenance needs

Weaknesses:    Plastic Housing= questionable durability for heavier riders like myself.

Bottom Line:
I have owned these pedals for 5 years. The first 3 years didn't do a lot of riding, but the last two I have logged a decent number of miles for a beginning recreational rider. I have probably put around 2-3k on them since buying them.

Im a 225lb guy that loves to crank hard while riding. I eventually snapped off the left pedal from the spindel. The plastic housing cracked mid ride.

Changed over to Look Keo 2 Max. Havent put any mileage on them but would say the float in the Look is great than the cranks bros. The float in the CB's was very controlled vs the ease of movement I felt with the Keos.

Favorite Ride:   Any decent weather ride in German countryside.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Look Keo 2 Max

Bike Setup:   Previous: 2005 Trek 1000C
Current: 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9-5

Submitted by Blackhound01 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Reasonable weight and solid platform. Pleasant range of colours to match bike frame.

Weaknesses:    Not as durable and user friendly as times. Longevity is an issue. Very disappointed with product.

Bottom Line:
Used item on and off for 12 months. Not as easy to get into as my time atacs and not as well made. Right side pedal came apart after minimal wear (metal pressed end detached from composite frame).

Favorite Ride:   Coffee shop and beaches, ave 50 klms

Purchased At:   Internet Store

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC, still going strong after many years of use and abuse (great design and fit).

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR carbon with full campo record, deda bars and hand made wheels. Likewise for my pinarello aluminium.

Submitted by peter5992 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    I can swap my road shoes with my MTB shoes since I am using the same system (eggbeaters) on my MTB.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, heavy (in spite of the titanium apparently used), non adjustable, takes time to get used to, poor quality and service.

Bottom Line:
I got these at Sports Basement when I bought my Fuji back in June 2008. It took me weeks to get used to the clpping system - at first it seems like a circus act. It doesn't help that they are not adjustable in any way.

About two months ago my right pedal broke off (bad bearing it seems). Sports Basement called Crank Brothers who insisted on seeing the pedal before sending spare parts or a replacement. After several weeks they got back to Sports Basement, saying it required 'service' and would charge $ 27. After Sports Basement leaned on them a little they relented and fixed it for free. I finally got the bike after several more weeks. No points for the Crank Brothers service department here (but kudos to Sports Basement).

Favorite Ride:   Santa Cruz Mountains

Purchased At:   Sports Basement

Bike Setup:   Fuji Team Pro Europe (56 cm).

Shimano 540's vs. Quattro SL for first clipless system?

My wife just got her first pair of biking shoes (Sidi Mountain Bike Shoes) and I am debating whether to use a pair of Shimano 540 SPD pedals and new cleats I have or a pair of Quattro SL and new cleats I have...any thoughts?Read More »

Time ATAC or CB Candy C or CB Quattro SL

Newbie, 54 yrs old, want to save my knees Bought a road bike this spring, I also have a comfort bike and a MTB I ride. They all have regular pedals, the road bike has also toe straps. I also have a pair of Adidas El Moro III MTB shoes. I don't want to buy a pair of road shoes unless I have to. ... Read More »

Crank Bros quattro SL - metal guard on pedal is half off. help?

So, I'll be honest. I fell over. Left myself clipped in the right pedal and fell over. Somehow, in the fall, the metal gaurd on the outside of the quatro pedal (right side on the picture) is half off (attached to the front on the picture, and loose on the back) and a small greased metal disk (I k ... Read More »

Quattro SL pedals ordered

I ordered them after much research. I got them for a great price. I'm very happy to say I liked the reviews they got here. Does anyone here use them and what do you think? Please give me a good run down. Thanks.Read More »