Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look A-3.1 Pedals

Submitted by harman_mogul a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    Familiar. Economical. Good looking. Spin freely and don't give the knees any grief.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Bearings wear suprisingly fast. Bulky, so can hit the ground when cornering a road bike with low bracket height. Obsoleted by the Keo, which has better ergonomics, lighter wieght and is relatively cheaper.

Bottom Line:
Tried and tested technology. Not at the leading edge, but do you really need that?

Favorite Ride:   Regent's Park

Purchased At:   St John Street Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Look 5.1 (unusable), Shimano 105 Looks (unbreakable).

Bike Setup:   Have these pedals on my Cinelli road bike and my Tom Board fixed.

Submitted by Josh M a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Function well. No problems.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals if you can find them for cheap. Very easy to clip in/out. Plenty of float with the red delta cleat. Cleats last for a reasonably long time. I would rate these five, but they are quite heavy for a road pedal at 400 grams.

Submitted by DJGONZO a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    Easy use, low maintenance, and they look good.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. Again I have nothing to compare them to.

Bottom Line:
I've used these pedals for a little over two years they are the only clipless pedals I've used and I am more than satisfied with them so much that I've never thought of replacing them. Easy to use and maintain. I love the platform and the solid "clicking" sound when cliping in. No squeaks as others have mentioned. The only reason I'm not giving these pedals a 5 is because I have nothing to compare them to.

Favorite Ride:   My next century

Bike Setup:   2004 Klein Aura V, full Ultegra, Easton EC70 Carbon bar, and seat post, Ritchey 4 Axis WCS Forged Stem, Bontrager Race Wheels.

Submitted by OrangeGuy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    solid platform, float is good, solid (plastic)sound when clipped so you know if you are not.

Weaknesses:    Slipery on the shoe if you are not clipped in. They are heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have been using these pedals for over 3 years and they have held up very well. They are not very light , they have a good platform, they just work like a pedal should. (The cleats are a different story)

Favorite Ride:   If I can be on the bike...it is good

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Crank Bros

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works E-5

Submitted by bobp a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Strengths:    Good entry and exit.
Good eye appeal.

Weaknesses:    None for my needs.

Bottom Line:
I bought the A3.1 pedals because I was having trouble clipping out of my A5.1s. What a difference a couple of Newton-Meters (Nm) make. The A3.1 adjusts between 8 and 12 Nm. I have them set at about 10Nm, just 2Nm lower than what I had on the A5.1. This works great for me. No problem clipping out. They also look good, very similar to the A5.1. I get no squeaking, but then I never did on any of my Look pedals.

I could see how a real road racer might want a tighter feel but I'm pretty light and I don't sprint, so I feel pretty secure in the pedals.

Purchased At:   Competative Cyclist

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek 2300 - stock except
Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle
Dura-Ace 12-23 9 speed cassette (a gift!)