Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look A-5.1 Pedals

3.7/5 (20 Reviews)

Submitted by Sknyskiman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    Appearance, reasonable weight, and durability.

Weaknesses:    None worth mentioning.

Bottom Line:
I haven't found any problems clipping in and out of these pedals. Adjustment range is very nice too. After three years, they still seem to run smooth and no squeaking. I do lots of climbing so these pedals have taken a pounding over the years. I've been using Look clipless pedals since 1986, and their technology gets better all the time.

Favorite Ride:   Northwest Sonoma County

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Look classic Look pedals (1986), Look A3.1, and Look PP??? (can't remember exactly).

Bike Setup:   2002 Litespeed Tuscany w/Ultegra 6500 components and Shimano compact cranks
Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels
Michelin Pro Race tires

Submitted by Jeff a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Just way too hard to uncleat them even after 2 years of use. In fact it seemed to have gotten harder with time. May be due to the exposed spring.

Bottom Line:
These are the worst pedals I have used so far. Been using Shimanos and had no problems with them. Decided to change into new Look after the many years of abuse of the Shimanos (but with little problems). So damm diffcult to uncleat that it even tore the sole of my old shoes off. Am using a new pair of shoes and I can see that its about to do the same for the new shoes. Avoid these pedals at all cost.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano pedals

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Aero. Shimano ultegra 9 spd.

Submitted by Richard Penney a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2007

Strengths:    stongest tension to hold you in

Weaknesses:    the spring loaded plastic part the holds the cleat to the pedal broke. I had it constantly set in at the higheest tension of 18Nm and I can only assume that the pedal was not made sufficently strong enough to cater for its own tension design.

Bottom Line:
I am a pragmatic person. If it does the job I like it, if it doesn't I don't like it. I had bought the A5.1 because they had the strongest tension I could get as I had pulled my foot from Look 296 pedals before and nearly came off the bike.
Pedals were great before I broke them, If pedals break under stress/tension they can be very dangerous. I would not buy these pedals again but I would buy the 396 pedals again.
I have managed to break 3 aluminium bike frames in bottom bracket area and my current trusty steel frame track bike has been welded twice in bottom bracket area. This is/was not due to rough riding (bumps etc) so I would assume I put a fair bit of force through the bike from time to time.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Look 296 and Look 396,

Bike Setup:   I ride a steel frame fixed wheel track bike to train on and a Cannondale road bike for longer rides

Submitted by NZVET a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    Solid construction that can take the knocks. No problems with bearings after initial replacement.

Weaknesses:    Just the squeak!

Bottom Line:
About 8 months after purchase the right pedal bearing started to seize. Was promptly replaced under guarantee. A few months later the dreaded LOOK squeak emerged on the right pedal. Tried all sorts to get rid or it but any effort was only temporary before the squeak would re-emerge. It must be contageous since the left pedal developed the same problem within a few weeks. Even the new delta cleats didn't help. After 2 years of persisting with this and having the unwanted squeak on many a ride, I've relegated the A5.1 to my spares bin and upgraded to DA SPDSL's.

Favorite Ride:   Taranaki, NZ