Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look Keo 2 Max Pedals

2.93/5 (15 Reviews)

Look has taken their incredibly popular Keo Sprint pedal and made it even better with the Keo 2 Max. The most striking design change is the wider platform providing greater stability less likelihood of a hot spot and better power transfer. The cleat con

Submitted by Julio Cesar Castelluber

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Beauty.

Weaknesses:    Resistance, very weak and breaks product with little use.

Bottom Line:
I'm an amateur cyclist, got 1.89 m in height, 81kg weight and pedal was installed on a bike used only on weekends. The pedal was in perfect condition, no shock or fall, but the shaft bearing just broke. I have saved the invoice and denied me an exchange. I'm in Brazil and I was very disappointed when it comes from a top of the line product.

Submitted by lewislw1

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2013

Strengths:    Light. Good performance until they go bad. See below.

Weaknesses:    Like almost all Look pedals I have had, the bearings/axles don't last - after 1-2 seasons, the they loosen and start clicking. You can tighten this, but they quickly revert to click again. Look is a pain to deal with for warranty repairs. Look cleats wear out too fast. Time to move to another brand of pedal.

Bottom Line:
Good pedal performance, but they don't last.

Submitted by Richard Parkin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    wide, rigid, aesthetically pleasing, easy in/out, stable, secure

Weaknesses:    price, Kéo Grip cleats

Bottom Line:
Thoroughly recommend these pedals. Feel like the pedal of a professional; Contador anyone? But still very, very user-friendly. The cleats are dreadful and last even less well that standard Kéo cleats.

Favorite Ride:   Dunrobin Glen - Gordonbush, Sutherland, Scotland

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Look Delta, Look Kéo Easy

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Carbon Tech B4P - Ultegra 53/39,12/25

Submitted by look695 john

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable,easy entry,low maintanence.

Weaknesses:    Look dont supply sandpaper with cleats.......(only kidding)

Bottom Line:
I see some cyclists have problems with the cleats creaking and have tried everything from cooking oil to talcing powder but have not solved the problem.Here is my solution.NO1.When cleats are new they usually dont creak but even after only one or two spins they are liable to creak .First thing to check is cleat position on your shoes.Go for a cycle and ask yourself the question-Am I straining on the left or right side of the cleat? When you are pedalling the cleat should not be under sideways pressure.If it is ,reposition the cleats.Whats right for someone else may not be right for you .we all angle our feet differently on the pedals.NO2. examine the cleat and you will notice burrs/marks around the three sockets(where the bolts are fitted).these are caused by stone damage while walking on them.To stop creaking all you have to do is get some medium grade tough sandpaper and smooth all around the three holes and right across from the left to right hole.Also sand the metal plate on the pedals slightly .THIS WORKS no oil, no grease, no whatever.Happy creak free cycling.

Submitted by SaddleTime a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Reliability, ease of use, durability. Easy memory feature on the cleat: the old cleat can be removed and a new one quickly and easily installed in exactly the same position with a referencing button that is attached separately to the shoe bottom. Not particularly expensive.

Weaknesses:    Rubber walking grips eventually peel off the cleats, but can be Krazy Glued back on if caught in time.

Bottom Line:
Wow - I must be using different Keo Maxes than other reviewers here: over the last 10 months I've put approx 6000kms on mine, in races, 150km training rides, charity rides involving walks at nutrition breaks, rain, dust, snow, on rollers and trainers, climbing sprints, unpaved back roads, and anything else that comes up on the bike. So far I've not had a single squeak, bad release, sticky axle or anything else that's been mentioned by other reviewers here. I guess I must be lucky.

I bought these because I left my old Sprints on my last bike when I sold it at the end of last year, and I had zero problems with the Sprints after 12,000kms and figured new Look Maxes would be a 'no-brainer' for my new bike.

The only maintenance I've done is to remove them from the crank arms on occasion (after riding in dirty conditions) to clean and lube the axle threads. The metal plates have been very effective at reducing the wear on the pedal body from the cleat rub. (I can understand where the squeaking would come from if grit got between this plate and the cleat, but so far it hasn't happened to me. Hope I haven't jinxed it!)

I have no experience with other road pedals since those old Sprints were the first pedals I bought, based on a recommendation from a roadie friend of mine. I haven't had any inclination to try other pedals yet and I have to admit that I plan to stick with Looks until I do have an issue like others here have described.

Based on my experience I have no problem recommending these to anyone, regardless of use or ability: not only are they very easy to engage, they're also easy to disengage, yet have never prematurely released on me, regardless of how hard or fast I'm pedalling. That's the reason I got some for my wife who was having a tough time getting her Speedplays to engage/disengage.

Just my 2 cents-worth.

Favorite Ride:   Sea To Sky (Vancouver-Whistler)

Purchased At:   PBK

Similar Products Used:   Look Sprint

Bike Setup:   Look 585 Origin ProTeam, Campy SR11, HED C2 wheels with PowerTap Pro+, Fizik Antares, 3T Eronova Pro bars, 3T Arx Team stem, Thomson Masterpiece post

Look KEO 2 Max Carbon - $135 shipped

New, in box. eBay has them for $134.95 including shipping [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-KEO-2-MAX-2012-CARBON-road-bike-pedals-NEW-Cleats-/280799449165?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4160f3904d#ht_500wt_715]LOOK KEO 2 MAX 2012 CARBON road bike pedals NEW +Cleats | eBay[/url] If you'r ... Read More »

Look Keo Blade vs. Keo 2 Max

Well like the title says I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both of these pedals and could give me some advice regarding them. I rode a pair of 2 Max's for a bit and liked them but I can get the Blades for $189 and was wondering if it would be worth the price. The 2 Max's are around $110ish ... Read More »

Look Keo 2 Max will be here today

Any tips for set up, etc? I'm switching from Speedplay Zero Chro-Mo's. If anyone is interested I got them on the 'bay for $104 with free shipping.Read More »

Keo 2 Max VS Keo 2 Max Carbon

so im comparing both the keo 2 max and keo 2 max carbon and the only difference i can find is that the keo 2 max carbon is 8 grams lighter and has an injected carbon fiber body compared to just a composite body in the keo 2 max. is the upgrade to the keo 2 max carbon worth it?Read More »

Look Keo 2 Max vs Shimano PD 6700

I have only ever used Shimano pedals, but am looking at the Look Keo 2 Max pedals for my new bike and am wondering why they are so popular apart form the looks!Read More »