Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look Keo Blade Pedals

Look is known foremost for their pedals.  In their tradition of innovative design and cutting edge technology, Look presents the Keo Blade; Featuring the linear spring rate carbon blade design, the Keo Blade is one of the lightest in t...

Submitted by Bikepassion a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2014

Strengths:    Secure engagement, weight

Weaknesses:    fragile carbon blade because it is exposed to side impact, weak body near the pivot. Poor cleat placement adjustability.

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 sets for my road bikes. After 3 500 km the blade delaminated on the right pedal of the first set. On the other set, the body cracked over the pivot of the entry mechanism. I've found that they are not as good has Shimano's as far of cleat placement under my shoes. They are great pedals if you race bikes, but if you are a recreational rider and clip in and out several times, I would try to avoid them and buy a more durable pedal system.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPL-SL

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix SL3 Ultegra Di2
Cannondale Supersix
Giant Anthem X0 29er

Submitted by Rain a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Strengths:    Quiet, very light yet substantial feeling. Stainless over axle cleat interface surface.

Weaknesses:    Could be supplied with slightly longer cleat mounting screws.

Bottom Line:
This is for the carbon body steel axle with 16nm blade. Each pedal weighs 112 gm. Very easy and positive engagement with a bit of resistance to disengagement which I really prefer as an experienced rider. The pedals feel very stable and large platform helps dampen chip seal vibes as well as encourage effort out of saddle. If cleat / platform interface is kept clean and lubed sparingly with a drop or two of silicon these are silent and tight. This pedal allowed me to understand why shoe makers are increasingly emphasizing mold-able foot beds as I can now feel how my foot moves inside the shoe. I definitely recommend this pedal with 16nm blade to experienced cyclists looking for the best.

Similar Products Used:   Older Keo classic, leaden Shimano platforms, Wellgo SPD style.

Bike Setup:   BMC RM01 with Ultegra drivetrain and Dura 9000 wheels

Submitted by Craig

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2013

Strengths:    They look cool
Weight (but not a significant difference than other more reliable pedals)

Weaknesses:    The carbon blade broke after 2 months of use; after about 100 in/out transfers

Bottom Line:
As I pulled up to the start line of a 100 mile granfondo bike race (w/ 8000 feet of climbing) the blade spring on my right pedal broke in half when I unclipped. It was not a difficult unclip, the carbon spring however lay in two pieces afterward. I opted to ride on it as I had no replacement, fortunately the pedal still functioned but if I lifted my foot up for any reason it came right off the pedal.
LOOK will not service these pedals, nor do they sell replacement carbon springs to replace broken springs, you have to go through a LBS who will then ship it to LOOK. I'm told I shouldn’t expect to get my pedals back for several weeks. A carbon spring?? what was I thinking when I bought these.

Submitted by mbright

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Perfect Size paltform, Better Power Transfer

Weaknesses:    Maybe Price

Bottom Line:
I have about 1,000 mile son the pedals, and chose the 16# spring. That platform size feels perfect...power transfer appears to have increased over the Keo's I used to ride, They are easy to get our of. One of the best investments I've made recently to my bike.

Submitted by al

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, wide stainless platform, very smooth bearings, nice float, very firm positive "snap" on entry

Weaknesses:    Price, durability, noisy, hang at the wrong angle, cleat durability

Bottom Line:
I've had these pedals going on their 3rd year and I really wanna love these things, but I just can't get over their inadequacies. I've had a set of older Look aluminum pedals with delta cleats for nearly 20 yrs with no problems, decided to upgrade to the Blade Carbon Ti to go with the new carbon bike after running the old pedals a week or two. I didn't want to pay full retail and got them (new) on e-bay from a non-authorized seller to save a few bucks over their $500 retail at the time.

They are very light and the bearings spin smooth and effortlessly, much better than the XTR's on my MTB. The first thing I noticed when switching from the old alum pedals is that the Blades hang at a weird angle, the front of the right pedal sits somewhere around 10-11 o'clock, you really gotta eyeball these for a second or two to line everything up while getting in unlike the the aluminum pedals where the front sits forward at 1 o'clock and all you need is a momentary half glance. And if you're not careful and kick the pedal forward, the bearings spin so effortlessly and the pedal body is so light that they go round about a dozen times unless you stop them with your foot. Needless to say I've gotten better at this over time, but still not as fast to line up as other pedals, making them less than ideal for urban riding with lots of starts and stops.

As for feel and performance, the clip in engagement (once you've taken the extra 2 seconds to line it up) is one of the best/most positive of any road or mountain pedal I've ridden. I have the 12Nm version and the retention is perfect. The wide platform is really nice, no hot spots and nice power transfer in and out of the saddle. Float is nice and resistance free with the 4.5° cleats, no problem setting them up.

Pedals came with 2 sets of cleats, one with rubber grips & 4.5° float, the other smooth. I didn't make it out of the garage on the smooth ones without nearly killing myself and switching to the grip cleats, end of story on those. With the first few sets of grip cleats the rubber either wore down, or ripped off ending the life at a rate 2-3 times faster than what I was used to with the delta style. I must say in Look's defense they have recently changed the grip rubber to a noticeably harder compound that still grips and doesn't rip out.

As for pedal durability itself, after a couple months while clipping in, a chunk of plastic broke off the inside rear corner of the left pedal. It hasn't affected performance, but not exactly confidence inspiring, if I'd bought them from an authorized dealer they would have gone back for replacement and I'm sure Look would have taken care of me. I have about 10k mi on them now and they don't look as scuffed up as I expected. The one thing that's happened this season though is that they've started to squeak. Even with new cleats, cleaning the pedals, and spray lube its still there. I'm contemplating my new pedal options and leaning toward the carbon Dura Ace, I'll sacrifice some weight for durability!

Keo Blade Clunk

I have a brand new set of Look Keo Blades (non-TI) and a new set of Look Grey cleats. On the first run with these cleats I have an odd clunk/popping/clicking sound coming from both pedals. I removed them, re-greased them, and re-installed them, but am having the same issues. The cleats are new, ... Read More »

Look's Flagship Pedal: Keo Blade Carbon Ti

I am so happy and excited, I just got Look's highest end pedals: the Keo Blade Carbon w/ Titanium spindle. Initial few miles tell me they feel amazing. The clip in is snappy and firm. getting out is the same as my old Keo 2 Max. I'd love to discuss these pedals and help out anyone else who's intere ... Read More »

LOOK Keo Blade cro-mo

Looking at a pair of Keo Blades cro-mo axels. Anyone use them?Read More »

Which pedal is easier to clip into? Dura Ace 7900 or Look Keo Blade?

I currently have the Dura Ace 7900 carbon pedal. I like almost everything about them except one thing...having to look down to clip in. When starting at a stop light, I'm usually not clipped in until I'm halfway or completely crossed the intersection. I have trouble finding the front hook to get ... Read More »

Keo Blade Carbon Ti (12nm)

Are these a good pedal to upgrade to from the Keo 2 Max? I've been using this on my bike for 2 years now and am looking for a good upgrade. the Keo 2 Max have been great every single time. No maintenance required and it always just worked. Will the Keo Blade Carbon w/ Ti spindle be a good upgrade ... Read More »