Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look Keo Chromo Pedals

The low profile, lightweight pedal from Look features injected carbon construction with spring tension adjustability and offers up to 9 degrees of float. Triple bearing design with two sealed bearings and one needle bearing. Traditional Look bolt pattern with a smaller, lower-profile cleat design. 4.5 degree cleats included. Cro-moly spindle.

Submitted by pinarello001 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Low profile, light.

Weaknesses:    vague engagement (with grey plates). Hot spot. The pedals feel too small underneath the shoe as if the platform should be wider. I am only a size 9 (42-44US) but my feet are quite wide.

Bottom Line:
Having raced with clipless and then finally with look pp76 which were quite a high level clipless at the time, I decidedto upgrade.
I liked the look pp76 and I particularly liked the float with the red plates. I used a red plate on the left (due to breaking my knee cap when I was 15) and a black plate (zero float) on the right.
The engagemnet on the pp76's was very good and positive. It was just a little deep and on tight bends it was easy to smack it on the ground (particularly when doing criteriums).
So, I decided that the KEO would be lighter and thinner and would be identical with the pp76's. I was wrong. I mean when it comes to shoes and cleats, we are all different anatomically so I have to put the criticisms into context in that its my personal view.
I do not like the engagement. It seems vague. Because of my long term problem with my left knee, I have set the engagement to a low tension so I don't have to twist my foot too much but I have gone down the road thinking my foot was in but it was'nt. I am lucky not to have had an accident. I now put the left foot in first and always take the right foot out at a junction etc. I use grey plates which I beleive have 5 degs of float but its 5 degrees of stiff float, the other thing I noticed was the 'hot spot'. For longer rides, I found my foot creeping outwards in the shoe as if its starting to creep over the outside edge of the pedal. Now many of you may have noticed that your feet swell up especially on long rides and therefore pulling up the straps on the shoe is not always practicle. I could tighten them to keep the foot more central but then I am uncomfortable. My shoes are Sidi's and i never had problems with the old red plates and the pp76's.

Favorite Ride:   Barhill accross the moors

Purchased At:   e-bay, new

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo throughout (for sensible riders who don't want to keep replacing bits and who want resale value). Ksyriums, Pinarello Galileo, Michelein pro road 2 23mm (very good).

Bike Setup:   Compact 34/48 for hilly randonnees. 39/52 other times. 13-25 cassette. Cineeli criteriums (very old but still light and I love the shape as the bars are more curved than boxed)

Submitted by chadsmith71 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    Highly adjustable, light weight, cleats will work on the spin bikes at my gym (Pure Austin) for weekday winter workouts.

I bought them for $155 (including free shipping) from an eBay seller - great deal compared to retail. But I gave 4 stars for value b/c if you buy them retail they are quite expensive (as are most other high end pedals).

Setup was easy. Mine came with the gray cleats (4.5 degree float) which I need for my old decrepit knees. I also like the fact that 3 float options are available (9 degree red cleat, 4.5 degree gray cleat, 0 degree black cleat).

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I recently shimmed my left cleat after a Retul fit found a small "functional" leg length discrepancy (legs are the same length, I just sit w/my pelvis rotated slightly, most likely due to an injury to my left femur). At the time I was using Time RSX Carbon pedals. I have been using various versions of Time pedals since the days of Miguel Indurain's Tour de France dominance (1991 - 1995). I've intermittenly tried Shimano pedals but always went back to Time b/c of knee problems with other pedals.

But with 5mm of shims beneath my left cleat, I was having a problem with the cleat bolt head ripping through the cleat itself on the left foot. Time pedals only have 1 metal bracket for the front bolt, not the 2 back bolts. And there is limited side-to-side adjustability.

My Retul fitter suggested Shimano or Look. I went with Look b/c I found them cheaper on eBay than I could find Shimano PD 7810 (which get great reviews). Plus the Looks are ~50 grams lighter than Shimano 7810.

Look cleats have 1 bracket per screw/bolt, which means I can torque down on the cleat screws w/out the screw breaking through the actual cleat body, as I was experiencing with my Time pedals. Were it not for this problem, I would have just continued riding the Time RSX Carbon pedals, which are excellent IMO.

Another problem w/the Time pedals is the limited Q-factor adjustment. The Looks are MUCH better in this department. I was having to buy 2 pair of Time cleats to put on 1 pair of shoes b/c of the way the Q-factor setup works (you just swap the cleats to the other shoe, basically).

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD 7800 (hated them), Time Impact, Time RSX Carbon, older Look models.

Bike Setup:   2008 Orbea Opal 54cm with full Dura Ace 10 speed, PowerTap wireless rear wheel, Mavic Kysrium SL front wheel, FSA traditional bend (a.k.a. shallow) alloy bars, FSA OS-115 stem w/carbon face plate, FSA SL-K carbon seatpost, Fizik Arione saddle, and Look Keo Carbon CroMo pedals.

Look Keo Blade Chromo or Ultegra PD-6700

So I'm debating between these two pedal systems currently. I'm coming off of speedplays for something that is ideally more stable as my knees could use the larger platform. I was wondering what your recommendations are, price being of relatively little importance. Again the pedals I am looking at ... Read More »