Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look Keo Classic Pedals

3.97/5 (36 Reviews)

The Look Keo Classic is a mid-range pedal in the line with a very competitive weight and features. As with other Keo pedals the amount of float is determined by which cleats are used. The Keo Classic has adjustable release tension with a fairly low range making it ideal for first-time clipless pedal users. Colors Graphite or RedInjected polyamid bodyTwin bearing design - one sealed bearing and one needle bearingCromoly pedal axle for strength8-12 nM adjustable release tension280 grams per ...

Submitted by Billybob

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Reliable, work great, easy to rebuild after years of use. Excellent retention. Newbies not used to clipless pedals won't know if they are good or bad. But after 25+ years of riding clipless, these are tough to beat. And economical, too.

Weaknesses:    Not the easiest to get into, but practice and they work fine.

Bottom Line:
Great pedal and good investment!

Submitted by LostViking

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Nice wide base for my foot. Perfectly adjustable for just the right tension. Smooth running and simple.

Weaknesses:    Because of they way they hang when your shoe is not attached - clipping in on-the-fly is a learned art which may frustrate some users.
Wish they came in more colors.

Bottom Line:
These are the first clipless pedals I've ever used and, once I adjusted the tension to my likeing - I've never had a problem with them.
They are secure when I pedal and easy to clip out of in a rush.
Once clipped out however, the pedals turn "funny" and you have to master the technique of clipping in again - this may result in a slow start when a stop-light turns green.
I have never gotten stuck in these pedals and I have never fallen because I was unable to un-click in time. They are awesome pedals - they are staying on my bike forever!
As I noted above, more color options would have been welcome, including white, chrome and celeste. But my red pedals look great on my red and black Spesh Allez!

Submitted by TiCoyote a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable
Easy to clip in and out
Lots of power transfer
Good float
Durable

Weaknesses:    Walking cleat is junk
1-sided entry
Sometimes squeaks in wet weather

Bottom Line:
When I started biking, I rode a mountain bike. Everywhere. Trails. Roads. Single-track. Even on a few club road rides with 1" tires. When I first switched to clipless, I got the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters. They had just come out, and it was a perfect solution for me. I was new to clipless pedals, and relatively new to cycling. It was super easy to clip in and out, and the mechanism was so simple.

Let's fast-forward a few years, and highlight the problems I had with the Eggbeaters:
-Original pair didn't have a deep enough allen-key socket, so it stripped out when I tried to remove the pedal. Had to grind in wrench flats to remove. Spindle replaced under warrenty
-Bought a used pair of Quattros to use with road shoes. Arrived broken. Quattros discontinued
-Upgraded through a few sets of Eggbeaters. Each set needed greasing and replacement of bearings with increasing frequency
-Began suffering serious ankle pain. Turns out there just isn't enough interface between the cleat and the pedal to make it road-shoe friendly
-Crank Brothers seems to have pulled out of the road market entirely
-The mechanisms were getting loose and worn out on my EggBeaters. Crank Bros wanted some cash to do the repairs or replacements. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to make new pedals a viable alternative. At this point, I was just thinking about rebuilding them so I could sell them. I was pissed until someone on RBR pointed out that I had owned the pedals for a few years, they weren't all that expensive to begin with, and nobody ever claimed that they would last forever.

So I wanted a new pair of pedals. I looked at the Speedplays, because they have a similarly easy interface, light weight, lots of float. But they seem to have a lot of moving parts that can break or get out of adjustment.

A friend and my brother each suggested I check out the Looks. They figured that more people ride them than anything else, the bigger platform would increase climbing power, the tighter interface would eliminate the ankle pain, they're road-dedicated, they're sealed so they don't need maintenance, and Look has a lot of experience making pedals. Also, for $80, I could ride them for a year, and if I hated them, I'd only be out $80. Or, I could ride them for two years, and if I killed them, I could either upgrade or get a new pair for another $80, and that's small money for a piece of equipment that lasts two years.

From the very first ride, I couldn't be happier. They solved the ankle problems. They're comfortable and powerful. Are they easier to clip in and out of than the EggBeaters? Well, they each have their own unique problems. In order to engage, you need to kick these over so they are right side up. Sometimes, that just makes them spin, because the bearings are really smooth, so you don't get them upright even on the second try. Sometimes you really have to look at them to make sure they are the right way. But I never get a false engagement. I know when I'm engaged. The EggBeaters sometimes feel engaged, but they're not. Also, the little cleat on the EBs are hard to find, so sometimes the shoe slips right across and I either bang my shin on the pedal or my crotch on the saddle. Both painful.

Do they creak? Yes, sometimes in wet weather. If it is very humid, misty, drizzly, or raining they creak. Never in good weather.

Are plastic cleats durable? I get a full season out of a pair. A new pair is $10-20.

Are the pedals durable? After two seasons, mine look beat up, but they function like new, and they have never needed any type of maintenance.

What about those walking cleats? I don't know why Look invented those. Sure, you can walk on a linoleum floor without falling on your ass, but if you walk on the road or gravel, you'll just chew up the rubber grips. Then you can't clip in, because the rubber gets in the way. Even when they are new, the rubber prevents the cleat from sliding into the pedal. Just replace them with the standard cleat, and you're good to go.

Overall though, I'm incredibly happy. I wouldn't ride anything else.

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers EggBeaters

Submitted by joanne

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
very disappointed with this product, i recently started cycling and decided to purchase the pedals. being new to the sport, i wanted to have the pedals on the easiest tension to clip. In doing so, i turned the screw a few too many times and i striped the screw. I had only had the pedals for a few days so I took them back to the store where i purchased them and they stated that in 11 years of selling these pedals, i was the 1st person to EVER strip the screw. Really??? The 1st person to have done this......i wish i had the same luck with the lottery...... So i decided to write the manufactor in hopes I could send themback for repair..........after 2 weeks, still waiting for the manufactor to reply to my email.........too bad, so sad for me :(

Submitted by catnorth

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Low price

Weaknesses:    Difficult to clip into. Poor cleat durability. Squeaky.

Bottom Line:
Having had Campagnolo look style pedals on bikes for the past 15 years, I decided to go for the new Look Keo Classic pedals on my new custom build dream bike. What a mistake. I found the contact area of the pedals too small resulting in excessive pressure on a small area of my feet. However the worst feature of these pedals was the difficulty I had engaging. I've used look and spd style pedals for the last twenty years and apart from the first couple of rides never had a problem clicking in. But these keo classic pedals were awful. On numerous occassions I found myself struggling to get the cleat correctly engaged, making me look like a dork when pulling away at junctions and traffic lights. Not good at all. To compound matters, I found that after the first fifty miles or so the pedals developed an annoying creak, particularly when putting the power down.
Enough was enough, I bit the bullet and paid £85 (about $140) for a pair of Shimano Ultegra carbon spd pedals. What a difference - absolutely fantastic - reminded me why I went clipless in the first place. Sorry Look but you've lost a loyal customer with this poor quality product.

Keo Classic vs. Keo Easy; What's the Dif

Looking for starter pedals, I was considering the Keo Classic, but I see they have a Keo Easy for even less money. I can't figure out from the website what exactly the difference is. Is the Keo easy just cutting it too cheap for serious road biking?Read More »

Upgrade Look Keo Classic

Hi all I am a fitness road rider (2009 Scott CR1 Pro) and I am considering updating my current pedals, Look Keo Classic, to a higher end Look pedal. Has anyone else done this and can you pick a difference in their performance. Does the weight saving, increased stiffness, make a difference. ... Read More »

Look Keo Classic Pedals

How much life do these pedals have in them? I've got just about 2000 miles on them since early March. And with the continued aggravation of a mysterious knocking sound I've noted in another thread, I am curious to know if the pedals may be the source. They're secure to the cranks. I have no pr ... Read More »

Keo Classic or Plus?

So after much soul searching, I'm thinking of trying a new pedal. I have been riding Egg Beaters for years, and I just don't think the interface is working for me anymore. I'm thinking about Look Keos. So, for around $80 I can get Keo Plus or Keo Classics. Is one better than the other? They ... Read More »

Keo Classic Maintenance

The bearings on my Keo Classic pedals are beginning to grind and not spin very freely. Is this something that I can fix myself, or are the pedals not user-serviceable? If I am not able to do it, will my LBS be able to handle it, or will I have to ship the pedals to Look? Thanks.Read More »