Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look PP247 Pedals

3.89/5 (28 Reviews)

Same as the PP296 but without the Free ARC float adjustment.

Submitted by Brian Aslett a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    Wide contact - no hot spots on long rides
Durable
Float is just right - they solved my knee aches

Weaknesses:    Squeak prolifically unless lubed every ride
Paint job not great - they're looking a bit scruffy now
Easy to "miss clip"
Heavy compared to the alternatives

Bottom Line:
The pedals were fitted during a bike set up session about 3 months after I bought the new bike. Previously it had Shimano SPD pedals & I was getting hot spots after about 70km. It took a while to get used to them after double sided pedals & I still occassionally "miss the clips" at the end of a long ride when tired.
Have now done about 7 000km with them with no serious problems (have regreased them once at about 4 000km). They've got a small amount of play now, but nothing to worry about.
The biggest failing is their ability to squeak! It started at about 2 000km and it took me about 3 months to find an effective solution - spray them lightly before each ride with a silicone furniture polish. And then they smell real good too!!

Favorite Ride:   The peninsula ride in Cape Town SA

Purchased At:   Cyclab Johannesburg

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 520 SPD

Bike Setup:   K2 MOD 3. Al/carbon frame. 105s except bottom crank from Truvativ. Bontrager wheels & conti GP4000 tyres

Submitted by bikerx68 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2006

Strengths:    durability, large platform

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I have used these pedals on 3 different road bikes over the last 4 years and they have served me well and are still going strong on my current bike, a Trek 5200. My only complaint is that they are a bit on the heavy side.

Favorite Ride:   all of them

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar SPD type pedals

Bike Setup:   2006 Trek 5200, stock setup

Submitted by DaveG a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    Dependable
Large platform
easy entry/exit
smooth bearings
cleats available everywhere

Weaknesses:    weight, compared to the current offerings

Bottom Line:
I have 3 pairs of PP247's on 3 different bikes. These have been a steady depednable performer. I assume these will go the way of the Dodo now that the Keo model has taken over. I like the large platform and easy entry/exit. Bearings have remained smooth over years of use

Favorite Ride:   any I finish

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   I have used Look for 16 years now other than a brief stint with Shimano Looks

Bike Setup:   Coppi Genius

Submitted by AC Slater a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    They seem strong and well made. The 'click' you hear when you engage is very audible and confidence inspiring-you know you're in.

Weaknesses:    Almost no float. I don't know if this is really a weakness. They were made this way and some riders must prefer the very limited float, but I'm not one of them.

Bottom Line:
I've been using eggbeaters with off-road pedals for a while, but the lack of a truly positive feel and any significant platform made them kinda uncomfortable for road use. Anyway, nearly everyone uses the Look/Time type of pedal, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I didn't know much about these things and it turns out, the clerk at Performance knew even less. Coming from the super floaty eggbeaters, I knew I wanted pedals w/ adjustable float. The guy at Performance told me that the release tension adjustment screw was the float adjustment. Of course, this is incorrect. If you don't believe me, ask my swollen knees (in the clerk's defense, he did help me the best he could, even printing up some info he found on the internet). At any rate, I will be exchanging these pedals for some 5.1s or something else with a little more float.

Note for people who shop at one of the Performance retail/outlet stores-
before you go in, check their website. Their online price is usually lower than their in-store price and they will give you whichever one is cheaper.

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Wes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2005

Strengths:    Looks (no pun intended!,) comfort, ease of entry and exit

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
After riding a year with SPD style pedals on my raod bike, I decided to try a wider platform pedal due to some discomfort on long rides. The Look 247 has not dissapointed. I got them fairly cheap and they have been flawless.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere not raining