Home | Reviews | Pedals | Look

Look PP256 Carbon Pedals

2.95/5 (22 Reviews)

Light weight, (180 grams), and low profile, (35 degrees of cornering clearance). An indexed tension setting with a visual display window for precise cleat tension.

Submitted by timtheroadbiker a Road Racer from Selma, Alabama

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    solid platform. cool looking.

Weaknesses:    heavy, dangerous if you want to get in them to fast. tiny float

Bottom Line:
I got these pedals with my merlin road bike. And let me tell you they suck. I mean if you have knee problems dont even think about geting them, go for the speedplays. I mean, I really like the solid platform under your feet and I used them for so time. But after I did one of my 100 mile days, the next day. My knees hated them.

Favorite Ride:   anything with hills

Purchased At:   got them with my bik

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay x/2

Bike Setup:   Merlin ti with campy

Submitted by K J a Road Racer from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    Rides like a Look pedal.

Weaknesses:    Float is too slippery. Pedal comes unscrewed from spindle.

Bottom Line:
I've always thought that the float was slippery enough to be unnerving. I never had a problem with the old Looks with no float. Now, after about 1000 miles, my right pedal has started working its way loose on the spindle, so that it falls off while I'm riding. Not good. I'm thinking I'll Loctite it down until I can get replacements - maybe I'll switch to Time.

Similar Products Used:   Older Looks. Plenty of different SPDs.

Bike Setup:   Marin Treviso.

Submitted by Lou DAmelio a Recreational Rider from Belle Mead NJ

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Strengths:    Weight (for Look)

Weaknesses:    Bearings

Bottom Line:
Like others, bearing problems early and often. I was probably the last schmuck to pay full retail for these before Look phased them out. The bearings were rough from the outset, the whole right assembly was shot after 7000 miles of riding.In retrospect, they were responsible for an annoying click for several thousand miles which had me disassembling various other things on the bike. (I assumed that new pedals couldn't be the cause till I read the reviews here. I'm not hard on pedals -this particular bike never sees rain. Into the trash - going to try Record Pro-fit Plus for the weight savings over Look 357's or 396's. As others have noted, I think this is the black sheep of the Look family - I have had no problems with a pair of ancient, low-end Looks which came on my old bike - they are still going strong at 30,000 miles. Look hasn't shaved weight with their latest generation of pedals and the Campy seem functionally near-identical, so I'll give them a go.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Looks

Bike Setup:   2001 Litespeed Tuscany/Chorus-Record mix

Submitted by jrathfon a Recreational Rider from Monroeville PA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap and work well

Weaknesses:    slightly scratched

Bottom Line:
I bought these from a previous reviewer Charles Chulack who gave these pedals a very bad review. He must not be a very competent rider because they work great for me. He Hated them which is fine because he paid lots and I only paid a few beers for them.

Favorite Ride:   Deep Creek

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   mtb pedals only

Bike Setup:   Torelli Super Strada Full Campy

Submitted by jason a Recreational Rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    they look cool and they're alot lighter than my shimano-looks. easy in/out and very durable

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet, but after reading what other people think, i guess i should be expecting problems eventually.

Bottom Line:
look rules. i really like these peds and have decided that i'm gonna stick with them for the long haul. i haven't had any problems with the bearings or clicking in/out. no creaking sounds, either. i really dig this company and would gladly try any of their products.... except for some of those funky, rainbow-colored shoes they make.

Favorite Ride:   ones that go up more than down

Purchased At:   some bike shop