Performance Forte Classic Pedals

2.26/5 (27 Reviews)

6 degree float. LOOK cleat. Aluminum body, dual-spring entry/release mechanism. Sealed mechanism, chromoly axle.

Submitted by Jacque Anderson

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    I have NEVER had this type of pedal but I have common sense and I am athletic. It took me all of a minute and a half to figure it out. I did not crash even my first time. I have a old pair of Shimano R075 hand me down shoes with RED Look clips and I didn't fall over once. Do not be afraid of this pedal if your smart.

Weaknesses:    Reading the reviews of people who do not know how to opperate the pedal!

Bottom Line:
I am training for my first triathalon and I WILL BE USING this pedal. I am sure this pedal will do fine and I will post again after my race. Don't be afraid just be smart and train hard!!!! That is mt review.

Submitted by sitbone a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've had problems with this pedal as well. Found it easier to unclip by twisting inward rather than outward. I have them set on the weakest grip so I don't crash at 0 mph at lights. Done that twice when I first got the pedals. Performance should require all their executives to road test their products before they go into the stores.

Favorite Ride:   denise

Purchased At:   beverly hills, ca

Submitted by kafene a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    Looks and price.

Weaknesses:    WAAAY to hard to unclip, regardless of experience.

Bottom Line:
Bought a couple of these for bikes I got for my daughters. First time they've tried clip pedals. They fell often on the first ride. Told them they'll get used to it. Then I tried adjusting them a couple of days later to make it easier. The lowest setting is still WAY too difficult to unclip. I felt really bad afterwords for thinking it was them. I would have fallen if I had used them!

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD4 w/ Shimano 105's.

Submitted by MDJ5169 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, look decent, float is easy on the knees.

Weaknesses:    Bearings are weak and won't last long. Cleats tend to wear quickly.

Bottom Line:
These were my first venture into clipless pedals and yes, I did crash a couple of time at stop lights. I just assumed that was part of the learning curve but maybe these do clip out a bit harder than most. I will be finding out soon as I have 1,400 miles on these and the right pedal is starting to have a bearing go out 'clicking' which drives me nuts. (I weigh 180 lbs. and have some hills in my riding area but if you can't get a full season out of them it doesn't matter how cheap they are....) Not sure yet if I want to go with the Keo or Speedplay but it sounds like either is a better choice than these.

Favorite Ride:   Parrish Gap- Talbot

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   2008 madone 5.2

Submitted by New User a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2008

Strengths:    They are easily returned.

Weaknesses:    They resulted in a damaged bike, physical pain and embarrassment.

Bottom Line:
I bought these before seeing these reviews. They are deathtraps, especially for new clipless riders like myself. I fell twice because I could not get out of the pedals. AVOID!

Favorite Ride:   A Dry One

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Forte Campus Pedal - a far superior clipless pedal for those new to them.

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, a frame and handlebars.

Any thoughts on Performance Forte Classic Mg/Ti pedals?

[url]http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17680[/url] Anyone have any experience or thoughts on Performance's mg/ti Look style pedals? They're on sale now and look like a good deal but I don't want to drop a wad of cash on a set of pedals that are going to fall apart or have the b ... Read More »