Performance RC-7 Pedals

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Simplified alloy body. Needle bearings and a chromoly spindle. Wide toe plate and dual force retention system. Tension adjustment window, 4°degree float. Compatible with Shimano mountain SPD®cleats.

Submitted by Brock a Recreational Rider from Olathe, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to use, inexpensive, not real heavy.

Weaknesses:    piece sticking up in back rubs on bottom of shoe

Bottom Line:
Since they were so cheap, I bought two sets of these pedals for my road bike and my hybrid/commuter. Overall, I think they are smooth and easy to use, and clipping in became very easy over time. The only drawback I experienced had to do with the piece that sticks up at the back of the pedal. That piece would rub on the bottom of my shoes, and sometimes would squeak. (These shoes had the panels on the bottom that you cut out for SPD set-up, so that part of the pedal was rubbing against rubber or a thin covering on the metal sole, not the hard fiberglass or carbon fiber that's on many higher-end road shoes.) Their newer, comparable model (Forte Pro?) appears to have remedied this issue.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Logic Road SPD

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD5 road bike, Ksyrium wheels, Ritchey WCS bars and stem, 105/Ultegra components.
Cannondale CAAD3 Road frame set up with flat bars, Rolf Vector wheels.

Submitted by charlie a Recreational Rider from northeastern California

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Strengths:    cheap, decent bearings, light weight

Weaknesses:    ??

Bottom Line:
I wanted a better pedal than the cheap Nashbar double-sided MTB pedals I first used when I put this bike together. Performance had these for $39 so I gave them a try. The bearing is pretty good for the money, it will flip over on its own. The pedal takes Shimano-generic SPD cleats, and works fine...easy clip-in and release. They aren't bad looking either. With used Ultegra pedals going for about twice what I paid for these I figure I got my money's worth. Lighter than Ultegra, too.