Shimano 105 PD-5610 Pedals

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Shimano's latest version of their 105 pedal has really blurred the line separating them from...

Submitted by JR Namida a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    New they are only a bit heavier than the Dura Ace & Ultegra, and give a wider cleat platform that a Mountain Bike pedal. I purchased a stainless and black set for different bicycles. Black set shows scratches.Performance was good for 7,000 miles on two bicycles.

Weaknesses:    After 7,000 miles both sets developed a squeal/squeak that I thought was a bottom bracket. I switched the pedals about on different bicycles, and squeak moved with the pedals after I took the bottom bracket apart for service. I purchased a tool to let me service the pedals, but can not quiet the Black Pedals. Silver is good after service for about 500 miles before the squeak returns.

Bottom Line:
I ride 4 different bicycles for difference purposes, and these pedals lasted for almost 4 years. Both sets began having problems near the same mileage, 7,000. For the $110 price of two sets of pedals they performed well, and I moved to a 105 5700 and it is also trouble free.

Shimano, builds a good solid pedal that lasts forever, or longer than most people ride their bicycles. I am certain these 105 5610 pedals could last a lot longer, if I would have serviced them earlier.

Favorite Ride:   Red Rock

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano ULTEGRA SPD SL PD-6800, after using a 105 PD-5700 set of pedals, and spring for the expensive shimano pedals (losing a left Dura Ace PD-7800 pedal).

Bike Setup:   2004 60 cm Orbea Orca, Dura Ace drivetrain consisting or a 52-39 chain rings driving a 11-27 cassette. Dura Ace Wheels with Continental Gatorskin tires. 2009 59 cm Fuji SST 1.0 with Sram Force drive train consisting of a 52-36 Praxis Works chain rings spun by a Zayante Road Crank, with a 11-32 Sram 11 speed cassette.

Submitted by Phil.Lueb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    - Good Connection between shoe and pedal
- Easy getting in and out
- Secure feeling, no clipping out without intending it
- price is, in my eyes alright

Weaknesses:    - gets scratches very quick

Bottom Line:
I'm using this pedal for almost two years, since I felt that the SPD System puts too much pressure on one spot.

It cost me about 50$ which seemed an attractive price. And well - it's Shimano 105, you get alot for what you payed for: Very good function, a clean and strong connection between shoe and pedal, a nice secure feeling on it, no creaking sounds like at the more expensive products from look or others and is seems to wore out quite slowly.
Getting in and out is adjustable and works quite well after a short time of practise.

On the other hand you get the other side of shimano products: Just one contact with anything slighty hard and you get quite an ugly scratch on your (in my case black) pedal.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere my nose leads me

Purchased At:   cant remember, some

Bike Setup:   Dynamics Frame size 63, Veloce Shifters, Ultegra derailleurs, Stronglight crankset,
full carbon fork, self-build-wheelset with Novatec Hubs, Dt r520 Rims and CX-Ray spokes

Submitted by RC28 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    Price, quality, cleat engagement.

Weaknesses:    Bearing setup (maybe) my experience nothing beats the Dura Ace setup.

Bottom Line:
I've been using these on my daily ride for about 2 months now. I have the Ultegra version on my race bike and I have to say that the difference in performance between these is minimal. These are great! The main difference between these and the Ultegra pedals is the bearing setup. For those that complain about the weight penalty between these and Ultegras...c'mon! I weighed them and my Ultegras and the difference was only 5 grams. 5 grams difference is nothing! And these can be had for about half the price of the Ultegras if you search around.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction