Shimano Ultegra PD-6500 Pedals

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Compact, low-profile design Chrome-moly spindle Sealed cartridge bearing unit Cleat tension

Submitted by jamesdak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    Rock solid build
smooth bearings
Nice visible tension indicator

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy by today's standards

Bottom Line:
These pedals came on a 2000 LeMond Zurich I picked up used recently. Pedals were a bit beat up cosmetically but functioned fine. Higher clip out effort than the Look KEO Classics I am used to. Some hot spots but I was using my old and slightly small MB shoes so I can't blame this on the pedals. Very Solid pedals that seem well made but are a good bit heavier than the Look pedals I usually use.

Favorite Ride:   Tomorrows

Purchased At:   Came on my used 2000

Similar Products Used:   Look KEO Classics
Shimano MB dual sided pedal (Not sure what model)

Bike Setup:   2000 LeMond Zurich with full Ultegra setup.

Submitted by Attila a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Small, light, durable. Cleats are more walkable and less slippery than Looks. The pedals don't wear down like looks. They're harder to pull out of as the cleats wear.

Weaknesses:    No longer made, harder to find. SPD drillings harder to find on road shoes.

Bottom Line:
It's too bad Shimano stopped making this pedal; it's the best pedal made. The cleat is compatible with Shimano mtb pedals, so you can put the 2-sided mtb pedals on your winter bike and use the same shoes on all your bikes. The Dura-Ace version is not as good - the plastic tabs keep breaking off.

Purchased At:   Chuck's

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace version of the pedal on track bike. Ultegra 6500 on road bike. A520 on tandem. MTB pedals on fixed-gear winter bike. Same shoes work on all these pedals.

Submitted by TFR a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    fair price considering quality. $130 to $150 for pedals that last a real long time is actually a good deal when I think about it

Weaknesses:    not much, after using a lighter pedal that screwed up within a year. A little lighter would be nice, but not bad weight

Bottom Line:
Not too heavy, very durable, and work great. Had not used them in a while.

I just sent my Look Keo Carbons back for warranty work. I had gotten them to try something lighter, and because they have a 3 bearing system which I assumed would make them durable, but did not. The KEO carbon's bearings showed play in less than a year.
So I pulled out the old Ultegras. I really appreciate them. A very nice pedal. Probably will get SAMPSOn pedals next time. Had a pair of SAMPSOn Straticsin 90's that lasted many many miles and were light and worked well.

Purchased At:   Vernon Cycles, from

Similar Products Used:   Sampson Stratics, Time, Look Keo

Bike Setup:   Lemond Zurich carbon, with ultegra.

Submitted by Alvin Mirabal a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2006

Strengths:    Reliability, adjustment indicator

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
My first SPD pedals after being a Look fan for many years. Love the tension adjuster indicator and ease of clipping and un-clipping.

Favorite Ride:   Softride Qualifier

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Aaron France a Road Racer from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Strengths:    slick looking, strong, steel pedals, with a relatively low weight. fixed or float depending on cleat.

Weaknesses:    some complain about hot spots. also, cheaper, lighter pedals are now available on the market.

Bottom Line:
Slick looking, cro-moly, relatively light pedals. They have a very cool tension indicator, for quick reference. Unfortunately, they have single sided entry.

These pedals use the SPD-R sh-70 or sh-71 cleats... Supposedly a standard SPD cleat with rubber pontoons, which makes it easier to walk with SPD-R drilled shoes. Some shop geeks have made claims that you can use the standard SPD cleat with this, but I had problems with cleat retention when I tried that with a spare pair of SPD cleats. I would pop-out on sprints and even some seated climbs.

Overall I think these pedals are great. I've only encountered hot-spots during centuries. During an 18 mile crit I raced this fall I did develop a little bit of a hot spot, but I don't normally feel that during my weekly rides (one of which is about 50 miles) or when I use them for courier work.

The sh-70 cleat is a fixed cleat, no float, which some prefer. I just switched to the sh-71 cleat, which has what I've heard to be 9 degrees of float. So much like the look free-arc, you can choose whether or not you want float based upon your cleat purchases.

Favorite Ride:   sunday rock creek park to seneca

Purchased At:   used