Speedplay X/1 Titanium Pedals

4.4/5 (25 Reviews)

The unique shape of X pedals provides knee-saving lateral rotation, without the self-centering action inherent in most pedals - your knees don't have to work against spring tension. Their compact, low-profile shape positions your foot closer to the spindle, for optimal power transmission, not to mention the unmatched cornering clearance. And their dual-sided design provides the easiest entry/exit of any clipless pedal. The X-1 uses a titanium spindle for maximum weight savings. 150g/pr. Comes standard with cleats and mounting hardware. Compatible with virtually every road shoe in the marketplace.Please note that due to their Ti spindles, Speedplay recommends use of the X1 pedals for riders 185lbs and lighter.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

Submitted by Whtshprd a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light, easy to maintain, dual sided for easy entry, transfers energy well, natural float allowance with ease to exit but restrictive enough to feel before actual exit.

Weaknesses:    Some complain about the cleats getting any debris and that it's impossible to get into the pedal. Although this may be true, these pedals are for a serious rider who is always in the saddle and not dismounting often. There are other pedals for that purpose.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are incredibly light with enough "float" to take any stress off the ankles and knees. I love the fact that I can step into the pedals without worrying about getting into the "right" side. I've climbed and sprinted extensively in them and have never had an accidental "pop out" of the pedal. When I bought my first set of Speedplays (X/1 Stainless), I was concerned about not "feeling" a solid transfer of energy from me to the pedal. I thought that I might feel flex in the sole of my shoe due to the oreo cookie sized area of the pedal as opposed to the Time pedals that I had owned years before. Nevertheless, there is no flex in my shoes although that may also be attributable to the quality of shoes. Maintenance is a non-issue. Very easy and relatively clean.

The only weakness is getting debris in the cleat. If you get in any mud, sand, wood chips, etc... it is very difficult to get into the pedals. I would give this item a 4 star rating for this flaw, but if you are a serious enough rider to drop $300+ on these pedals, then you are always in the saddle and not running around in your cleats. If you are doing cyclo-cross or off the saddle a lot, Speedplay makes pedals for that such purpose. So, I still rate the pedals and the cleat system 5 stars.

These are my 2nd pair of Speedplays and if I get more bikes in the future, I will not hesitate to install a pair of these on any of them.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Time (original), Time (Titan Magnesium), Onza, Speedplay X/1 stainless

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum: Chorus crank, Dura Ace transmission, C-Record delta brakes, Modolo stem and bar, Mavic Open 4 CD/Mavic hubs, C-Record headset, Speedplay X/1 stainless

Felt AR3: 3T LTD bars, 3T ARX stem, Ultegra brakes, crank, transmission, shifters, Prologo zero seat, proprietary Felt aero seatpost, Rolf Elan Aero rims/Rolf hubs,Zipp titanium skewers, FSA headset, Speedplay X/1 titanium

Klein Attitude: XT grouppo, Ritchey rims, Mission Control stem/bar combo, Onza pedals

Submitted by Justin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Easy on the knees
Comfortable and unrestrictive
Reduced numbnesss
Excellent power transfer

Weaknesses:    walking is cumbersome (better to stay on bike :)
avoid walking in dirt

Bottom Line:
I've read the reviews posted about these pedals and while most are positive, I felt the need to point out some of the issues other riders have presented with these pedals. I have ridden my Speedplay pedals now for 5,000+ miles (lost a computer and had to guess) and my only other experience was with SPD cleats. The issues other reviewers had with the Xseries included; difficulty with the extra float, small platform area, cleat replacement and clogging.

I can only speak for myself in this review but I'll start by saying I'll only ever own Speedplay. First, the extra float only took about two rides or 50 miles to get used to. I have absolutely no mechanical problem mashing the pedals in a sprint or accelerating up a hill/mountain. Additionally one comment from a rider suggested the extra float my have caused his knee pain. Again, I cannot speak for him but my switch from spd relieved toe, foot and leg numbness and any and all earier knee pain.

The comment on small platform area perplexes me. Yese the cleat is small but the platfom is attached to the shoe and provides substantial area in my opinion. Additionally, any good road shoe should provide a solid platform for power transfer and I believe this to be a non-issue.

The last comment I have is regards to clogging and wear. I once stepped in some mud and the dirt made it difficult to both clip in and out. I do not recommend stepping in dirt with this pedal system unless ou invest in a pair of platform covers. Problem solved. Aside from the ill advised stepping in dirt, I hve had absolutely no ware or mechanical issus with the pedals. I have replaced no part of the pedal and have only once regreased inside the cleat. The are a solid construction, at least for this 160lb rider, and I highly recommend!

Favorite Ride:   any ride outside

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction in Ga

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Alloy frame with full ultegra and Ritchey wcs components

Submitted by red serotta a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    Double sided entry. Lightweight (but not the lightest, as advertised). Parts are available, but pricey.

Weaknesses:    The cleats are a nightmare if you have to walk very far, especially in loose sand or dirt. I've tried the cleat covers but inevitably end up losing them after one or two uses.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden the X/1 and X/2 cleats for over 40,000 miles and have them on both my road bike and time trial bike. The pedals are well designed and will go forever as long as you maintain the grease in the pedal body. I even replaced the stainless steel "bowties" on the pedals with aftermarket aluminum ones to save a few more grams.
I do have issues with these pedals though, enough so that I have recently swithched to Look Keos. For having such advanced pedals, the Speedplay cleats are a real pain. They clog easily when walking in sand or dirt, and they can wear down groves in the expensive titanium spindles of your pedals if the cleats are not regularly replaced. Also, the cleats are heavy, they bring the combined pedal/cleat weight up to more than the steel spindled Look Keo/cleat weight. Another interesting thing about the switch to the Looks has been the disappearance of knee pain. I thought that the free float was better for bad knees, but now I think that the knee needs to be held firmly in position, especially when climbing out of the saddle.

Favorite Ride:   The Loop

Purchased At:   LBD

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD (too small a platform) and Look Keo (the best pedal on the market today).

Bike Setup:   Serotta Ti with Campy Record and Litespeed Ti TT bike with Campy Chorus

Submitted by Xinram a Recreational Rider from Brakel,Belgium

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    Weight,views

Weaknesses:    "Heavy" cleats

Bottom Line:
Love this pedal. Got them from Flanders Pro-cycling Team. Very light weight.

Favorite Ride:   Belgian Classics

Purchased At:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Look,Campy,Shimano

Bike Setup:   Flanders Full Carbon 04-Team,Shimano 10-sp,Mavic Ksyrium ssc sl,Selle Italia Carbon,Handelbar Seatpost Jazz Carbon,Speedplay X1

Submitted by Teo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    Easy entry
Very light

Weaknesses:    Maybe price

Bottom Line:
I’m primarily a mountain biker so I’m used to double sided entry. I once tried Look 396 pedals and could not get the hang of getting into them. Got frustrated and left road biking for a couple of years. Decided to get back into it recently so I purchased the X1’s and absolutely love them. Entry is a breeze. You pretty much just step down and you’re in. Just like mountain bike pedals. Why everyone doesn’t use these is beyond me. I didn’t notice very much of the gliding on ice feeling unless I really paid attention. And the contact point is plenty large especially if you match it with stiff carbon sole shoes. And these are of course wicked light. Overall the best pedal out there.

Purchased At:   Roadbike Review Clas