Speedplay X/2 Pedals

4.42/5 (178 Reviews)

The Speedplay X2 pedal has all of the technical benefit of the X1 version: It provides knee-saving lateral rotation, without the self-centering action inherent in most pedals - your knees don't have to work against spring tension. Their compact, low-profile shape positions your foot closer to the spindle, for optimal power transmission, not to mention the unmatched cornering clearance. And their dual-sided design provides the easiest entry/exit of any clipless pedal. The X2 is different from the X1 in that it has Stainless Steel spindles instead of Ti. They come standard with cleats and mounting hardware and are compatible with virtually every road shoe in the marketplace.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

Submitted by Douglas Bjorkman

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    Light, couldn't be easier to clip in and out of, have had same set for twenty years though only perhaps twenty thousand miles on that bike. Still work fine. Looks have worn out in same time though admittedly higher mileage. Only just replaced second set of cleats but I am quite careful as the cleats are expensive. Maintenance for pedals has been no problem, You need to keep the cleats clean,

Weaknesses:    Expensive cleats

Bottom Line:
Best pedals around unless you are light enough for X1s which are too expensive anyway

Submitted by Burr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    Free Float. Great for club rides and racing/training. I wouldn't recommend for touring and would change to a SPD type pedal so I could use my MB shoes or sandals. Much easier to walk in...

Weaknesses:    If there is one, it would be the massive cleat, but not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
easy in easy out!

A cycling buddy gave me a pair X/2's last week because his wife couldn't get used to the free float. My initial impression was that it felt like I wasn't cipped...not used to the free float, but once I adjusted, they a a dream to ride on, though i was a bit nervous when jumped into my first sprint...

That sure is one big honkin' cleat attached to the bottom my shoe! I wonder what the total weight is?

As for the maintenance issues I've read about in previous reviews, that remains to be seen. The price was right either way.

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI

Purchased At:   given to me by a fri

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Look

Bike Setup:   full carbon/ultegra

Submitted by West a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    When it works, the float is amazing!

Weaknesses:    While riding the Gran Fondo, NYC, it became impossible to clip in, no matter how much lube/grease was used. It really ruined the ride

Bottom Line:
Works fine to start, then clipping in become a chore and then become impossible

Favorite Ride:   Bedford loop

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   Mt. Bike pedals- xtr- ALWAYS works

Bike Setup:   Scott cr1 pro

Submitted by Jersey Geoff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    the float, the ability to click in even if dirty, even if worn and the metal to the ground durability

Weaknesses:    Price- I'd love to put a pair of Titaniums on my Seven, just can justify the upgrade grams versus dollars- so I stick with Stainless

Bottom Line:
Reading these reviews makes me think I'm in an alternate Universe! I love my speedplays, many of my friends ride them, we ride them hard and they are durable and last and last, and no plastic crap on the shoe bottom to wear away or fail to click in after a lunch stop.I've used them now for over 10 years, and over 35,000 miles- I think I've put 2 replacement plates on. LBS greases them once in a while. they work and work.

Favorite Ride:   Cycle Oregon

Purchased At:   High Gear Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   looks and shimanos and nashbars

Bike Setup:   Seven Aerios DuraAce

Submitted by Sammy Al-Doory a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Strengths:    nice float,easy entry (as long as the cleats aren't worn, which doesn't take long)

Weaknesses:    You never stop paying for these because of easily worn springs and speed play just tells you to buy their "new and improved model

Bottom Line:
Have used these pedals for a while and they were okay as long as I could buy replacement spring kits, but now you have to buy the whole cleat which is at least $40.00. Called speedplay to complain and they suggested I buy the zero pedal instead. No incentive, just fork over some more cash to us.
Sorry, but I refuse to keep buying their cleats, and have switched to look instead,where the cleats are half the price and last longer

Favorite Ride:   cuyahoga valley