Speedplay Zero Cromoly Pedals

3.75/5 (16 Reviews)

The Chrome-Moly spindles on Speedplay's entry-level set of Zero pedals makes them the most affordable in the Zero family. They only cause them to weigh 4g more than the Zero stainless, though. 210g/pr. You can choose either a fixed position or up to 15 degrees of float. Zero pedals maintain the traditional feel of a fixed system while incorporating all the well-known advantages of Speedplay X Pedal Systems. Dual-sided Zero pedals offer light weight, easy engagement and disengagement, a low 11.5mm stack height and superior cornering clearance. The engagement mechanism does not rely on spring tension for retention, so you don't have to crank down a tension adjuster just to prevent inadvertent release. Best of all, you can choose either a fixed position or a microadjustable 15 degrees of float. Comes with cleats (and mounting hardware) compatible with virtually every road shoe in the marketplace.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

Submitted by Mike Sweeney a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2013

Strengths:    Low stack height, double sided entry, light weight

Weaknesses:    Knee tweaker, variable click in and out force, walking on metal cleats, susceptible to dirt contamination

Bottom Line:
I've used these pedals and cleats for 7 years and have finally realized why my knees hurt. Get some dirt in the cleats and the click in and out force goes way up! Enough to really tweak your knee. The release mechanism relies on a open ring of solid steel open ring (spring) resting in a plastic cavity. Really bad design for dirt getting in the cavity increasing friction (release force). The spring has to open up to release from the pedal. If there is dirt in the spring cavity, it gets REAL HARD to open up the spring! Since you walk right on the cleat, dirt gets in.

Don't want to have to get knee surgery so these pedals are hitting the trashcan.

Changing to Shimano, reliable force and much less susceptible to contamination plus no walking on hard and slippery metal plates.

Favorite Ride:   Felt F-55

Purchased At:   Edge Cyclesports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD-SL, Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals

Bike Setup:   Felt F55, Dura-Ace components, Easton wheels

Submitted by ryanberg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    Weight
Two sided
You can adjust float

Weaknesses:    The amount of inward float was too much for me.

Bottom Line:
I really like these because of two sided idea, but the amount of inward float is too much for me so I got the zeros. I found if you limit the inward float to 0 you can unclip by twisting in, so what I did was drill the base plate to take out some of the inward float out. Now they work perfect for me plus the drilling gave me engineering work to do at home.

Similar Products Used:   Mountain bike pedals

Submitted by jejpage a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    Float adjustment, inside/outside setup. Larger area to power down, going up those lumps with better speed now.

Weaknesses:    None so far, do get the coffee caps so to not root the cleats.

Bottom Line:
very solid from the first ride. Hips, knees and general alignment from the saddle & below just felt more right. Exactly what I was hoping for with this product; as I've been a look Keo rider for many years. Plenty of breaking in to do for entry/exit, but ces't la vie. Hardly a drama.

Favorite Ride:   D-Bay Loop

Purchased At:   PBK

Similar Products Used:   Look Keo Classic

Bike Setup:   Trek, 2 wheels, handlebars, seat and a rider.

Submitted by LBailey a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Strengths:    Firm, solid, integrated feeling
Cost
Two-sided entry

Weaknesses:    Requires more maintenance than Look/Shimano pedals

Bottom Line:
I just upgraded to the Zeros from the Light Action. The LAs were good but I needed something "firmer" with more of a platform to accelerate/climb on. The zeros have a very positive feel, firmer tension and I love being able to dial in the float to exactly what I (and my knees) need. I feel the Zeros really "integrate" better with the cleat to form one solid unit. The stronger I got the more I experienced hot spots with the LAs and the "spongier" they felt under my feet. The Zeros have eliminated all of that. Very good pedals.

I chose the cro-mos over the stainless as the $65 price difference didn't seem to make sense for 4gm of weight savings. I used the cro-mo LAs and experienced to rust or corosion issues.

Favorite Ride:   Pebble Beach

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S3
Full DA 7900

Submitted by rielid a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2010

Strengths:    Double sided entry.
Adjustable float.
Good warranty service.

Weaknesses:    Need to regularly service them with a grease gun.
Cleats are not walkable at all.
Replacement parts are very expensive.

Bottom Line:
Too high maintenance for me. I used them for a few months on my commute to work.
Walking with the cleats on to my desk was too difficult, so I took them off my commuter bike. A few months later, I took them out to put them on my road bike, and discovered they didn't spin.
Luckily I had the receipt, so I could send them in for warranty repairs. Speedplay told me that I had not serviced them, and so it was technically out of warranty, but they repaired it as a courtesy.

Good thing, too, since a rebuild kit costs about as much as the retail price of the chro-moly pedals.

It was my first set or clipless pedals ever, and I assumed they didn't need regular service. Bad assumption. If you don't mind servicing your pedals regularly, these should be fine.

Favorite Ride:   Hills and valleys