Home | Reviews | Pedals | Time

Time Impact Pedal Pedals

Aluminum body and a chromoly spindle round out this value road pedal from Time.

Submitted by dirkhunt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    You may eventually wear out the cleat... but it will take a while(years not months)
All metal construction is still light and power transfer is impressive.

Weaknesses:    finish scratches easily, but who is going to see it under your shoes anyway. Replacement bearings were hard to find.

Bottom Line:
I bought these used on e-bay, the bearings had gone south but they were easy to replace once my LBS found them. This is my first pair of clipless pedals and I found getting into and out of them easy. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and asking around, and these are what I thought would work for me.
These are much easier to get into and out of than my Campy platforms and with the audible click in I never wonder if I'm not in, you know it. They are very smooth and rotate almost as well as my free bearing platform pedals. Overall I would recommend these to anyone.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Overholser at dawn

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   POS CroMolly frame, Dura Ace rear derailuer, ultegra crank, Velocity Spartacus wheelset.

Submitted by ulandt a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    pretty low foot to axle

Weaknesses:    recentering spring drives me nuts, clunky cleat

Bottom Line:
They worked passably. Entry is more difficult than most. I wanted not-so-swishy float, which I got, but the tension spring recenters the foot. This drove me nuts.

Similar Products Used:   original Time pedals, Speedplay, new Shimano, all kinds of spd, toe clips...

Bike Setup:   various

Submitted by jwilliams a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    relatively light, ease of use, bombproof

Weaknesses:    if you aren't used to it, clip in could be problematic

Bottom Line:
Purchased several pairs of Impact and Impact S pedals as replacements for my old time racing pedals. I love them. Wasn't sure about going carbon and didn't like the SPD-R or Look system as much. I know it is personal, but after riding old style Time pedals for 14 years, it was a natural transition.

Favorite Ride:   any time I can go

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Time Racing, Time Sport, Time Criterium, Various Look pedals

Bike Setup:   Merlin Ti, full ultegra, AC 420 wheels

Submitted by ad4e a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2005

Strengths:    rock-solid platform; durability. good float, but not as good as the Speedplay's. however, the speedplay's pedal body wore down & were a mess to maintain using the so-called "greas-port". messy. not to mention speedplay cleat replacement cost in insulting.

Weaknesses:    bearings could be sealed better, although even after a year of riding (in wet weather too), they're still going fine.

Bottom Line:
i replaced my Shimano Dura-Ace 7800 "Lance" pedals w/the Time Impact "S" over a year ago & never looked back. wow, what a difference!--so much better. the Time's have a ROCK-SOLID platform. i'm still using the ORIGINAL cleats since they have shown very little wear. i average eight hours a week riding--closer to ten-12 hours over the summer months. i can't believe the cleats are holding up this well.
but, note that the pedal body's platform is contstructed of hard steel, not some hokey magnesium alloy that wears down after two months of riding. because the pedal body is hard steel & the cleat is a fairly hard plastic, neither wear very much at all; & i think this is possibly why Time has offered the "RXS" as a "replacement" for the Impact: the Impacts hardly wear. there's a lot more plastic on the RXS' to wear down.
in summary, these pedals BLOW the 7800's outta the water. i can't believe i paid over $200 for them & got these for less than $100 & they're the bomb. i have recommended them to all my road-riding friends & have purchased another set as a "spare". u can't beat the price/value ratio here.
side-note: although i have the Time ATAC XS pedals on my 29"-wheeled off-road bike, they don't impress me like the Impact's do.

Favorite Ride:   all roads: urban, industrial, suburban, rural, clay, gravel, all of it anywhere.

Purchased At:   both LBS & online.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Dura-Ace (both old-style & new "Lance" SPD-SL 7800's); Speedplay's (X1 & X2); old-style Looks.

Bike Setup:   2001 Litespeed Tuscany, Dura-Ace gruppo, except for pedals & brakes (which are the Mavic's). Cane-Creek Aerohead wheelset & Specialized Mondo 700x23.

Submitted by xbgs351 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Weaknesses:    No float. Q-factor adjustment eliminates side to side movement and allows less rotation. Very hard to click into. Fast cleat wear.

Bottom Line:
I experienced ankle, lower leg and knee pain with these pedals. Despite the advertising these pedals have no real float. Any rotation is resisted by the spring.

The Q-factor adjustment only eliminates side to side movement and is pointless.

I found the spring tension adjustment useless as when it is set at the lowest setting it is the same as the base model. Setting the spring stiffer just makes the float issue worse.

The brass button on the cleats wear fast if your toes point outwards.

Favorite Ride:   Country roads

Purchased At:   Hendry Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Look and Speedplay.

Bike Setup:   Evolution and 600

TIME Impact - TIME RXS cleat/pedal compatibility ?

I have TIME Impact magnesium pedals on both my "main bike" and my "rain bike". Both sets have served me flawlessly , but the ones on "main bike" are getting kinda' sloppy and rattly after 20k. It's the outer bearings (the ones that are not serviceable) that finally go South. I want to replace the wo ... Read More »

Time Impact Pedal Adjustments??? help

So i've just started riding a set of Time Impact pedals (not the S or mag/ti). when i lift my foot under pressure, there is a slight (1-2mm) space that i feel...i can wiggle my foot up and down...not a big fan of this...are there any adjustments that can be made? The Time literature is horrible an ... Read More »

Time Impact S pedal??? and your thoughts....

about traditional cross laced wheels. Ok, so my new(to me) 2003 Tuscany is finally in and assembled... Its a ******* of a bike, but the eBay.com price was right. The bike's frameset is great with an Ouzo Pro carbon fork, and Ultegra brakes. After this point, the parts get semi-ugly. 105 Doubl ... Read More »