Home | Reviews | Pedals | Time

Time RXS Carbon Pedals

3.92/5 (25 Reviews)

Time RXS Clipless Carbon pedals is a high performance super lightweight pedal set. Biomechanically efficient angular float. Adjustable Q-factor, rotational float of +/- 5 degrees and lateral float of 2.5mm.

Submitted by kombo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    Nice click that lets you know you're in.
Good amount of float (for those that like it)
Nice and light
Smooth bearings
Adjustable tension of float

Weaknesses:    If you don't click in on the first try then your foot slips off pretty easy.

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals. I came from the crank bros system (on both mtn and road), which are possibly the easiest pedals to get in and out of.
On my first ride they took a little getting used to, but now I get into them first time every time. I'm not sure why people find these hard to step in to.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with a climb

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by slowpokepete a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Good looks.

Light weight.

Weaknesses:    VERY DIFFICULT to clip in to these pedals !!

I am very disappointed in this product.

Bottom Line:
I have used these pedals on less than three rides.

I am primarily a mountain biker, and have used Time ATAC XS Carbons for years, so when I decided to put some real "roadie" pedals on my new ride, I went with the Times.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Bike Setup:   Jamis Xenith Pro

ZG Brakes

Fulcrum Cranks

Zipp 404R/303F

Dura Ace

Submitted by skygodmatt a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    Adjustable, light and feels great with a low stack height.

Weaknesses:    Cleats really suck. They break easy and are expensive. Also, not covered by warranty.

Bottom Line:
I bought these $200 pedals and thought they were great at first. Then, after only a month, my cleat snapped in half under normal riding. I went to my LBS and they said the cleats were not under warranty! Time also wanted $40 for a new pair.

I have never had a pair of cleats which snap in one month. Also, $40 for a plastic cleat that fails quickly is ridiculous.

If you are wealthy and love spending money on fragile bike parts then this pedal is for you.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere with no cars

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Look, Speedplay, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3 with 7900.

Submitted by HigherGround a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Strengths:    Good foot support.
Entry and exit is acceptable, even if they're not the easiest ones on the market.

Weaknesses:    The clip at the front of one pedal broke after about a year and a half of recreational use.

Bottom Line:
I have been using clipless pedals since the mid 80's. During that time, I have used pedals from Look (the original white models with a black catch plate, as used by LeMond), Time (the gray and red Crit pedals, and the red Equipe Mag pedals), and Speedplay Zeros. I spent approximately 15 years using the two previous models of Time pedals without any problems. They were always rock solid, if a bit heavy.

I was lured away to Speedplay due to their light weight, easy entry / exit, and lots of adjustable float. However I didn't like Speedplay's finicky cleats, and the pressure points on my feet. After some rides of 60 - 100 miles, my feet were sometimes so sore that it hurt to walk afterward. I ended up giving the used Speedplays to a friend who has been happy with them.

When I switched to the Time RXS Carbon pedals, I noticed the extra support immediately. I felt more stable while out of the saddle and I didn't have problems with my feet getting so sore on long rides. Initially I felt like I had made the right switch by going back to Time.

On my second or third ride, I had my first crash in about 10 years when my front wheel was taken out by a gap in the road. I couldn't get out of the left pedal quickly enough, and down I went. I might have gotten out quicker with the Speedplay pedals, it's hard to say. Afterward I inspected the pedal body carefully, and it did not appear to be damaged. For better or worse, my lower leg had taken the brunt of the impact.

I continued to use the pedals for another year and a half. That left pedal usually seemed a bit more difficult to enter and exit, even after replacing the cleats this past spring. The cleats were a pain to mount, as the back cam would interfere with accessing one of the bolts, but the pedals generally worked well enough that I wasn't interested in switching to another brand.

That is, until they broke last month. I don't know whether or not the crash contributed to the later failure, but the tip of the left pedal had broken off - just as many other people had said their's did. The pedals are still functional, but they will soon be replaced by a different brand with a metal body, such as Shimano or Campagnolo.

During the many years that I raced and crashed on metal pedals from Look and Time, I never once had a problem with the pedal bodies. It was always a case of installing them on the crank and forgetting about them. However to have the pedal break after less than two years of use, and after the one year warranty has expired, is rather disheartening.

Before I bought the pedals, I had read several reviews of both the Time RXS and Look Keo pedals breaking. I thought it wouldn't happen to me, since I'm not stressing my equipment as hard as when I used to race. Well, it did. Buyer beware.

Favorite Ride:   Any warm, sunny day

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Look (mid 80's model), Time Crit (gray metal body with red spring cover), Time Equipe Mag (red metal body with red spring cover), Speedplay Zeroes.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Classic with Campagnolo mix.

Submitted by bigmig88 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2008

Strengths:    good size, easy to get into

Weaknesses:    Must be too weak. Breakage seems to happen and a quick search on google finds this has happend to lots of people

Bottom Line:
Cant say much but I love the performance, but after the pedal now snapped and wrecked the years target race, I am very very disapointed.

Favorite Ride:   Round the Bays, Wellington NZ

Purchased At:   Totalcycling.com

Similar Products Used:   time impact mag, keo, durace etc.

Bike Setup:   scott addict R1, mavic cosmic carbon, 08 record, ritchey rcs evolution bars and stem, vittoria, smp stryke composit saddle

Time RXS Ulteam Ti Carbon pedals - $165 shipped @ bicyclewarehouse

For the weight weenie on a budget. Current price is $174.99 - $10.00 off coupon (4175) + free shipping over $100 = $164.99 delivered. It looks like Time discontinued the RXS Ti versions, likely to push people towards the Titan Carbon version of their ICLICs. 183 grams per pair.Read More »

speedplay zeros vs time rxs carbon

I am currently riding speedplay zero stainless pedals and am considering switching to the time rxs carbon. My speedplays are worn on the pedal body and there is a lot of lateral rocking, even with new cleats. Anyone have experience with the rxs models? I am looking for a more solid feel (less rockin ... Read More »

time RXS carbon

does any one know where i can get these for under $130 or around that price?Read More »

time RXS carbon pedals

does any one know where i can get these for under $130.00Read More »

Another pedal question..Look Keo Carbon or Time RXS Carbon?

As a newbie roadie (come from MTB), what pedal would be the better option and why? Cheers!Read More »