Home | Reviews | Pedals | Time

Time Xen Pedals

2.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Time Sport Xen Carbon Road Pedals: Road pedals with larger surface area and wider engagement than RXS pedals. 15 degree release no-slip Racing Safety Cleat, 3-bolt mount compatible with most road shoes...

Submitted by Cask a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to unclip.
Big platform.
Fairly cheap.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in.
Can't be fitted with reflectors.
Usually spin to be wrong side up.
Not that light.

Bottom Line:
Got Time RXS Carbon on one bike and RXE pedals on another so got the Xens to go on a new build. Initially they were immensely difficult to clip in but have gradually got easier. After unclipping they almost always spin so the wrong side is facing up which is annoying. They came out well in a crash test (literally) when they came unclipped no problem as I flew over the handlebars. No pedal reflector fittings which is a disadvantage. Overall these aren't as good as the old RXE pedals as they are heavier, chunkier, no reflector fittings and harder to clip in.

Purchased At:   Ribble Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Time RXS Carbon
Time RXE

Bike Setup:   Kinesis KIC2 with Shimano 105.

Submitted by I_Know_You_Rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    None - Its Junk

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in.
Frustrating to use.

Bottom Line:
**** JUNK **** Don't Buy
I rode Time ATAC's on my MTN bike, and really liked them. As a result I though I would give these Time Xen a try on my new road bike. Well I was extremly disappointed. I find the pedals very difficult to clip into. Difficult to the point where I am trying to slam my foot so hard into the pedal, that I think I could damage my crank. Do yourself a favor, and buy something else.

Favorite Ride:   Hilly 100 - Ontario Baby!

Similar Products Used:   Time Atac Mtn
Shimano Ultegra - Road
Shimano old skool road

Submitted by jjender a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    Time quality
Nice carbon finish
Angular and lateral float
Cafe cleat
Cheaper than RXS Carbon pedals

Weaknesses:    Don't spin round leaving the front of the pedal up easy to click into
Weight (300 gr)
Click in is a little tricky

Bottom Line:
I've been using Time pedals on my MTB for years, and after buying a road bike an using Keo pedals, I switched to XEN Carbon pedals.
I like the nice carbon finish, the angular and lateral float, and the Time cafe cleat.
I haven't experienced problems with these pedals like other reviewers.

Favorite Ride:   Sierra Madrid

Purchased At:   Madrid

Similar Products Used:   ROAD: Look Keo and old Look Delta
MTB: Shimano (535, 959, 540), Time (Allium, ATAC, XS)

Bike Setup:   Decathlon 9.1. Dedacciai Alu+Carbon Frame. Campagnolo Veloce. Campagnolo Proton wheels. Time XEN Carbon pedals.

Submitted by mtbguy123 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Poor clip in
THEY WILL BREAK...read the other review the same thing happened.

Bottom Line:
DON"T GET THESE PEDALS. I have been a big fan of Time pedals on my mountain bike for years so I thought I would try the new Zen pedal. Big mistake...I originally thought they weren't to bad, clip in was a bit tough but nothing to bad. Then on my 4th...yes 4TH ride the front of one of the pedals snapped clean off almost sending me to the pavement. DO NOT BUY THESE PEDALS!!!!!

Favorite Ride:   Meech Lake Descent

Similar Products Used:   Time Atac
Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   KHS Flite 750 w/ Fulcrum wheels

Submitted by Joe Cottee a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2008

Strengths:    *Light weight

Weaknesses:    *Looks plasticky
*Don't spin round leaving the front of the pedal up easy to click into
*Front snapped off after very little time using them

Bottom Line:
Initial impressions are that the pedals look 'plasticky'. They do seem light though for the money.

Always had good experiences in the past with Time ATAC pedals but these xen's are hard to click into continually (after using for approx 2 months) and this morning the front of one of them snapped off while trying to click in. Avoid!