Campagnolo Chorus Rear Derailleur

• Available in Double or Triple Crankset Compatible Model

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by roadrat1949 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Failed catastrophically, damaging both bikes.

Bottom Line:
    I bought two of these rear dérailleurs for each of my road bikes in 1998. They both failed catastrophically in 2002. I divide my riding over four bikes, so these were really only about two seasons old at worst. One wrapped itself in the rear wheel spokes, ruining the wheel. The other locked up and bent the rear hanger so that the bike was no longer ridable. I've ridden Campy since 1973, and I've never had anything like this happen. And on TWO of them! Now I only ride Shimano.

Favorite Ride:   Red Rock Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo Record, Campagnolo Super Record, Shimano DA, Shimano Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Now, Campagnolo hubs, brake calipers, and headset. Look pedals, Shimano Dura Ace shifters and rear dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur.

Submitted by Jeff a Road Racer from Lake Tahoe

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Strengths:    Light, gorgeous and works flawlessly.

Weaknesses:    Some say price but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
    I have over 15K miles on one of these and haven't had to touch it. Just like every other Chorus component I have had, it looks great and works even better.

Favorite Ride:   mountains

Similar Products Used:   DuraAce, Ultegra, Record, XT, LX

Bike Setup:   Several bikes all the road bikes now have Campy except for my wife's Kestrel which has DuraAce.

Submitted by Aaron a Recreational Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    Beautiful polished aluminum, Italian craftsmanship, perfect shifts every time, durability!

Bottom Line:
    Campy stuff looks better, lasts longer, and works better than any Shimano product. I know, I work on the stuff all the time! Shimano makes good stuff, Campy makes better stuff!

Favorite Ride:   Las Vegas to Jean and back

Purchased At:   At the bike shop I work at

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105, Older Campy Record (which by the way still is working on a friends bike)

Bike Setup:   Circa 1985 Bertoni Frame (Columbus SL), GT Edge carbon fork, Campy derailuers, cranks, hubs, cassette, seatpost, and Ergo Power (Campy made Sachs) shifters. Cane Creek brakes, Mavic Open Pro rims, Conti tires, 3T bars, Flight saddle, and Cinelli tape.

Submitted by Mike a Commuter from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    Crisp shifting, elegant lines.

Weaknesses:    Developed a hairline crack along the hanger. I didn't crash and can't remember ever bumping it, seems to have developed on its own.

Bottom Line:
    The derailleur is a couple of years old and is starting to miss a shift or two. The crack is a bummer too. I'll keep riding until it breaks, but I expected more for the $$$$

The Shimano 600 Ultegra I had on my own bike lasted for years without a fault.