Kestrel EMS Forks

4.26/5 (23 Reviews)

Materials: Enhanced Modulus Carbon CrMo Steerer Monocoque Aerodynamic Sizes: 138 155 175 193 221 244 270 310 (unthreaded)

Submitted by Lito a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Great price. It dampens a little better than my steel fork.

Weaknesses:    Not a significant increase in comfort or performance.

Bottom Line:
The Kestrel EMS fork dampens vibration nicely during long descents. Given that I have a 650 C wheel setup, I don't believe you get the dampening you would with a conventional 700C tire. It didn't lighten the bike significantly nor change the handling. I read about all these folks who found religion riding carbon fiber forks - it cures back aches, neck aches, arm aches, blindness, whatever. But it didn't do that for me. It was a very subtle changes.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Hamilton Road

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Custom made steel frame. 650C tires. If you live in the bay area, call Dale Saso in San Jose for the best deal on a custom made steel frame. You'll be shocked at the value!

Submitted by Nessism a Recreational Rider from Lorain, Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff fork for agressive riding. Great for the heavy riders out there.

Weaknesses:    Ride is fairly choppy for lightweights.

Bottom Line:
Solid reliable fork. Great value these days as they are available for mid/low $100's these days.

Favorite Ride:   Backroads

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Time Equipe

Bike Setup:   Eddy Merckx EX TI

Submitted by Fender a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, reduced road vibration, cornering, company knows what its doing!

Weaknesses:    not the lightest thing out there

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork as an up grade on my old school steel Ciocc. Although I did not feel much of a difference in the weight, I do feel a lot more comfortable on rides. It carves corners with laser like precision, reduces road vibration and does not flex when sprinting in the final 200m or on climbs. As I previously mentioned, although its not the lightest one in the market, theres no real reason to shell out $300+ on a full carbon fork unless your a cat 1 racer.

Favorite Ride:   Calexico - Jacumba

Purchased At:   Hi Tech Bikes in San

Similar Products Used:   steel, aluminium, graphite

Bike Setup:   Steel Ciocc, full ultegra grouppo, cosmic wheels.

Submitted by lverma a Triathlete from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    Nifty looks, good vibration dampening

Weaknesses:    Not as latterally stiff, loss of raod feel.

Bottom Line:
I had high expectations for this fork when i exchanged it from the generic aluminum that came on my softide. TO be honest there was additional vibration dampening but also a loss if road feel. In addition I didnt think it had the lateral stiffest the kinesis aluminum did. I went back to trusty aluminum and liked it better

Purchased At:   Online