Kinesis Crosslight Forks

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Road-D gets its name from the D-shaped aluminum blades Kinesis engineers developed exclusively for our most popular fork. Also available with Easton E9 fork blades

Submitted by Tom a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    Stiffness, low weight, cost, tire clearance, handling.

Weaknesses:    It's an aluminum fork - not as good for damping road vibration as carbon, titanium or steel.

Bottom Line:
I have exposure to three of these forks - they're on my 'cross and commuter bikes, and on my wife's 'cross bike. They're all great for me: low weight, fat arms confer great stiffness (both for inhibiting lateral wheel motion and for a responsive feel when using strong canti's or linear-compression brakes, since the arms don't flex), all-aluminum construction is great for the commuter bike, *lots* of tire clearance, and they come with braze-ons for fenders.

I've had nothing but success with them after installing them all myself, and would recommend this fork to anyone seeking a highly functional, durable aluminum 'cross fork.

Similar Products Used:   Many steel forks: Waterford, Surly, lesser.
A few aluminum forks: Giant, Kinesis road.
A few carbon forks: Easton, Reynolds.
The Kinesis are my favorites.

Bike Setup:   If you care:
RF/XTR 'cross on Waterford X-22 frame
RF single-speed on IRO aluminum frame

Submitted by Dan Goertz a Recreational Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    Light and can take a beating. Carbon doesn't belong on a cross bike.

Weaknesses:    Huge tabs.

Bottom Line:
The first guy seemed to have a big problem. This is the second Kenisis fork I've owned, the first was a road. I've been happy with both. I'm a slightly heavier rider (180lbs) and the fork seems stable to me. It has lots of clearance for larger cross tires and mud. It's nice and light but can be bit harsh on rocky decents. I would never put a carbon fork on a cross bike, that's just plain freaky, way to flexy. My Steelman fork seems to be the best yet. The Kenisis is a noce beginner fork.

Similar Products Used:   Steelman Fork

Bike Setup:   Trek xo1, Full Dura Ace and Hugi 240 wheelset

Submitted by Charles a Recreational Rider from S.F., CA.

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    This for rides worse than any other fork that I have ever ridden.

Bottom Line:
This fork came with the bike. Like a fool I bought the bike mail order from Nytro. If they had ridden the bike than they are idiots. Likely they are just thieves. The brand new titanium bike road like a piece of crap with this fork on it. It rode harsh, cornered poorly and it was extremely unstable at high speed (40 mph & above), coming down the mountain.
But worse yet when I took my hands off the handle bars I had to ride with my torso at a 20 degree angle to the verticle plane, because this piece of crap was welded crooked. Numerous phone calls and 2 visits to Nytro (S.F. to San Diego) resulted in nothing. Phone calls to Lightspeed and letters yielded no response other than delay.
I never delt with Kinesis because frankly they had nothing that I wanted because I had a local custom frame builder (Jeff Richmond) build a beautifull fork for the bike. Wound Up is the only carbon fork builder that builds a carbon cross dementions fork (400 mm from crown race to drop out). With the custom fork the bike handles well but it is not as stable at high speed as my 25 year old Italian bike.
Lesson 1: Never buy a bike that you have not ridden, even if you have been fit for the frame size.
Lesson 2: Never buy a bike from Nytro unless you expect zero service, because thats exactly what you are going to get from them.
Lesson 3: Lightspeed/Tennesse Merlin not a chance. Get a Serotta or a Seven.

Favorite Ride:   west county of Marin

Purchased At:   Nytro Bike Store in San Diego

Similar Products Used:   Stock Italian Steel, Carbon & Custom Columbus Stainless Steel by Jeff Richman

Bike Setup:   Lightspeed Appalacian converted to all around with a Campy triple.

Kinesis Crosslight 5T frame?

I crashed my beloved Raleigh RX 1.0 and have managed to bend/twist the frame. While I am awaiting word back from Raleigh on what they might have, I’m looking at some other frames and found this Kinesis Crosslight 5T. My RX was made by Kinesis as well so this is fairly attractive. The numbers/angl ... Read More »