Home | Reviews | Forks | Look

Look HSC-2 Straight Blade Threadless All Carbon Forks

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

100% monobloc fork. One-piece design is proven to be strong and durable, for any size rider. Same features as the HSC 1, but with straight blades and is 15% stiffer. Available in 700C, 4.0cm or 4.5cm.

Submitted by Jason Jouet a Road Racer from Washington, D. C.

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Strengths:    Fork is very light, absorbs bumps pretty well, corners well

Weaknesses:    a little flexy

Bottom Line:
The fork is very responsive and tracks decently. It's a little flexy in hard cornering, climbing, and sprinting (my wheel rubs the opposite front brake pad during hard efforts). My Ultimate is extremely responsive and this fork adds to that(mine has a 4.0 cm rake). It is almost too much for me to feel comfortable some times and for that reason I may change to a longer rake fork (the Reynolds Ouzo Pro looks nice, now I just have to convince the wife). I think the fork would be fantastic with conventional bike geometry but I'm not convinced it's the best for the radically small wheel base of the Litespeed Ultimate. Litespeed used to offer the LOOK HSC II fork but now they have switched to the Ouzo Pro. Probably has more to do with money and sponsorship than anything else but it does make me wonder.
Anyway, I think the fork is overpriced. There are other options for less money. They may not be as light but they're close and the extra expense is not worth it to me.

Favorite Ride:   Rock Creek Park Weekend Training/Insanity rides

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Performance Forte straight blade t'less, Kestrel EMS threaded

Bike Setup:   55 cm Litespeed Ultimate, DA, Cane Creek Aerohead wheels,

Submitted by Noel Zamot a Road Racer from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Strengths:    VERY light, stiff, easy to install

Weaknesses:    Lawyer tabs, need to cut 3-4mm off of your front brake bolt in order to get the brake to tighten down.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line: Dropped a pound and change off the bike (along with threadless stem/headset), quickened steering, made bike corner like a cat on velcro.

Got this for a song at the LBS Blem Bin - I think I know why. Previous owner tried to install front brake, but a normal brake post is too long, so you can't tighten down the brake nut. Apparently, the previous buyer gave up, left the brake nut inside the recessed hole and returned the fork. Took me a while to figure this out and remove the nut - then realized I had to cut down my brake post. No prob - Mr. Dremel to the rescue! (There is enough thread on Shimano dual pivots to make it work.) The lawyer tabs are a pain in the arse, compounded by the 4mm too wide spacing for the front hub (older 1990 Ultegra on my training wheels). Still, ease of installation (no probs with lower race, clean cut on the carbon steerer) give the fork extra points. Just did a long 3 mile climb on a rest week test workout, and the fork was dead-on during the descent, comfortable and straight during the flats, and light, stiff but not bouncy on the seated/standing climbs. No harshness noted - the fork just muted expansion cracks and gravel stretches. I'm digging it.

A good fork for climbers or circuit racers. I might go with more rake (less trail) for long road rides. But you can't beat the weight. Not enough info to rate it as a crit fork, but I would imagine it would be great on the corners.
4 stars for value rating (only because I got it on the cheap), 5 stars for performance (notwithstanding the lawyer tabs and spacing, both minor nitpicks).

BTW, I got the 4.0 cm rake model (4.5 is the other offering). My old fork had a whopping 5.0 cm rake, which made for a noticeable but not objectionable increase in steering quickness. Light countersteering on descents now allows for more controlled leaning than with my last fork (no hesitation on the turns). Definitely a confidence booster, carbon steerer notwithstanding!

Favorite Ride:   Rolling blacktop unknown to cars

Similar Products Used:   Stock Davidson threaded aero crown fork on my Impulse (Tange Prestige tubing)

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, Mavic, Vittoria sew ups, ITM post/stem, Profile bars

Submitted by L.J. a Road Racer from St. Louis, Missouri

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2000

Strengths:    This is a very light fork and is reasonably stiff for an all carbon steerer tube. Great for road races with a lot of climbing.

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit flexy under hard cornering or powering up climbs or in a sprint.

Bottom Line:
Its a great fork for light weight people who don't like crit racing. Over time I have noticed that it has become a little more flexy. However its job is to be light and that it does very well. If I had to do it all over agian I would still get the HSC-2.

Favorite Ride:   Climbing