Home | Reviews | Forks | Look

Look HSC-3 Curved Aero Blade Threadless All Carbon Forks

4.35/5 (17 Reviews)

This carbon threadless fork is built with a carbon steerer for handling, strength and light weight. One of the most laterally rigid forks on the market. 40 or 45mm rake.

Submitted by eric wertheim a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    As an upgrade, it improved handling and overall ride-quality; Light; Excellent finish and cosmetics, obvious high-quality construction

Weaknesses:    Hard to find in a 43mm-rake

Bottom Line:
This review is for the standard fork (not aero). Very light, around 380 grams; Improved steering and handling, made the front of the bike seem much lighter and smoother-riding. Also made the bike feel more nimble.

Similar Products Used:   Ouzo Pro (similar characteristics and quality); Cannondale Synapse (nice steering but rides a bit harsh)

Bike Setup:   Trek Aluminum; Dura-Ace; Mavic rims (both clincher and tubular); 18 lbs.

Submitted by Wines of WA a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Strengths:    Durable, good vibration damping.

Weaknesses:    Vague handling, especially in corners. Slight shimmy when you take one hand off the bars. Front brake pads rub when you put the gas down.

Bottom Line:
Seems like most review of virtually all carbon forks say that a fork is stiff and improves handling, including revies of this Look fork. I guess that depends on other forks you've used. I had this fork on my training and backup race bike for 3 years and many thousands of miles, and just replaced it with an Ouzo Pro Peloton. I always suspected that the wiggle in my front end was caused by the Look HSC 3, and now I know that was in fact rue. This fork is fine in terms of durability and damping, but is simply not up to par with the Reynolds Pro Peloton in terms of stiffness (see my review of that fork). I recently quit racing. I sued to hate using my backup bike with the Look fork in races because it drifted in corners and would shimmy slightly if you took one hand off the bars. When standing to sprint out of a corner, the front brake pads would rub on the rim. Not good. If you want a fork that handles speed well, look elsewhere.

Favorite Ride:   Any road without cars or glass

Purchased At:   Pro deal through tea

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds Ouzo Pro Peloton, Reynolds Ouzo Pro, Steelman steel fork, Merckx OEM fork made by AME (all better than the Look except the steel fork).

Bike Setup:   Merckx M3 ti with Dura-Ace 9 and various wheels.

Submitted by zep-rider a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    strength vs. weight ratio, ride characteristics

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've only had this fork on my bike for only a few months, but so far I'm quite satisfied with it. It rides well with good lateral stiffness. I probably dropped a half pound off the front of my bike when I put this fork on it.

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel, Time

Bike Setup:   Airborne Zeppelin, Look HSC3 fork, '04 Record, Spinergy Spox wheelset

Submitted by MTCC a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort! in a straight line it smoothes everything out. It also feels very secure in turns.

Weaknesses:    The stickers can be rather loud. They should try black decals with a white outline to tone things down.

Bottom Line:
At first I thought this post was too flexy on my GIOS, so I swapped it out for a TIME with a Steel steerer and aluminum crown. it beat me senseless (actually numbed my hands). I ran right back to this fork and it magically feels mighty fine now! I just put one on my Seven Ti!

Favorite Ride:   Any, on a sunny day!

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Wound- Up with al. lined carbon steerer, LOOK LDS, Time ( Hated It!)

Bike Setup:   Gios A-90 DA everything, USE carbon post, terry Ti Fly saddle

Submitted by jt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    weight, ride characteristics. stiff enough for me - 150lbs.

Weaknesses:    none, other than getting the expander plug sleeve to stay in place was a pain.

Bottom Line:
Wow what a difference. This is my first carbon fork, only the second one I have ridden. I was looking for one to drop some weight and smooth out the ride. For the price I paid I could have barely gotten an entry level fork but this fork was used and I installed it myself.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   air rail - trek.

Bike Setup:   fuji finest-al, no more chromoly fork!