Home | Reviews | Forks | Look

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• Store Price

• Weight: 295g
  • Fork Material: VHM carbon
  • Steerer: VHM carbon, 300mm x 1 1/8"
  • Wheel Size: 700c
  • Rake: 43mm

Submitted by zdpn03 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    Nice aerodynamics, excellent handling and great comfort.

Weaknesses:    Integrated carbon race molded into the fork crown makes it diffcult to get the installation set up correctly.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review in regard to the creaking noise.

After much trial an error, I have figured out the trick to keeping the fork from creaking. I found that not tightening the top cap/stem asembly enough caused it to loosen slightly and making the creaking noise. If the front end is tightened too much, it binds causing a poping noise when standing and climbing.

In orer to prevent either noise, you have to be very precise as to how much you tighten the top cap. I found that if I tighten it most of the way, ride it for about 20 miles, then retighten it (being careful not to tighten too much), I can find the sweet spot and the front end will stay quite during my rides.

So, in summary, the fact that Look molds the crown to allow the headset bearings to rest directly on the fork creates issues with keeping the front end quiet. It is possible to get the front end set up properly, however it takes a lot of effort and trial & error. Once you get it right, it works. However, it is a hassle getting set up properly, so be aware of what you are in for if you purchase this fork.

Favorite Ride:   Enchanted Circle, NM

Purchased At:   Look

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC90 SL.
Look HSC2, HSC3.

Bike Setup:   Look KG486

Submitted by zdpn03 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, comfortable, nice visual design, stable handling.

Weaknesses:    Integrated carbon race design. Only one rake choice (43 degrees).

Bottom Line:
This fork is like all other Look forks I have ever ridden. It handles well, is light weight, and has a good balance of comfort and stiffness. It is perfectly suited for all the types of riding I do from occassional crits, group rides, rides in the mountains, and weekly 100 mile rides. Performance wise, I give this fork the highest rating.

However there is a problem with the design of this fork. This particular model is 100% carbon, including a modified crown that eliminates the need to install a race for the headset bearings to rest on. While this is a novel ideal, it results in a lot of front end creaking noise due to the contact between the metal bearrings and the integrated carbon race design. This noise is quite annoying and is hard to eliminate. The person I talked to ak Look had the same problem on his fork, and the solution he gave me was to wrap plumbers teflon tape around the crown where the headset bearing makes contact. That works for a few rides, but eventually the tape wore through, and the creaking noise returned. The only way that I could eliminate the creaking noise was to spread grease between the carbon crown race and the bearing. (Manufacturers normally advise against using grease on carbon, but nothing else I tred worked). The grease works great for a couple months, but eventually looses it's effectiveness. As a result, I have to loosen the headset/stem/fork assembley and regrease the contact point every 2-3 months.

In summary, if you don't mind a little maintenance, this fork is great. If you don't want to deal with front end creaking issues, then stick with a fork that allows you to install an aluminum/metal race. The tiny bit of weight savings Look gains from designing this fork with a carbon crown race is not wort the added maintenance hassle.

Favorite Ride:   Enchanted Circle, NM