Performance Forte Allegro Forks

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Reduce weight, increase comfort and control. The carbon blades provide superior vibration damping at the same time they improve lateral rigidity, and the aerodynamic shape lowers your profile in the wind. By going threadless, you’ll reduce weight, as well as improve power and handling via the better contact between the stem and steer tube. Carbon blades, chromoly steer tube. 1" diameter. Wt (cut for most frame sizes): 400g.

Submitted by Jose Pena a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    The fork really helps smooth out the ride and has reduced the bike's weight by about a pound and a half. I can feel the difference when I'm climbing up my favorite hill.

Weaknesses:    None really, I've gotten my money's worth by upgrading to this fork. I use the bike for everyday training and have never had a problem with the fork or with the other Performance products that I have installed on this bike.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the '05 Axis Pro. After several years during which I did no riding, I decided to get back into it. To do this, I decided to upgrade my '92 Trek 1400. To start off, initially I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, so I settled on this fork, as well as a Performance carbon stem and a Performance carbon handlebar. The resulting change in components took about a pound and a half off the weight of the bike and made a load of difference in the comfort and handling of the bike, especially up hills. I've had no problems whatsoever with any of the upgraded components. I'm 175 pounds. I've had this setup on my bike for about 3 years and have used it on the MS 150 Bike Ride, along with other long-distance rides.

Favorite Ride:   Prince William Forest Trail

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   1992 Trek 1400 frame (solid frame, if a bit heavy!), 7 speed Shimano 105 gruppo, downtube shifters, Performance Axis Pro fork, Performance carbon seatpost, Performance carbon handlebar, Fizik Arione saddle, stock Trek wheelset.

Submitted by jasg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Reasonable weight; price; aero blades

Weaknesses:    Weight could be lower; some may wish a carbon steerer (not me)

Bottom Line:
This is for the Axis 1 1/8 steerer with alloy steerer. I put this on a custom Ti frame and it's been just fine. Weight is reasonable for its price, and the alloy steerer is durable. Looks nice now that I've covered up the orange with electrical tape. Rake of 40mm makes the handling a little less stable thatn a less straight fork.

Favorite Ride:   infrequent stops

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Other budget (<$80) carbon forks. All seem equal to me.

Bike Setup:   Custom Ti frame, all Ultegra

Submitted by ckilner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2004

Strengths:    Very light for the price. Good combination of rigidity and comfort. Good aerodynamics. Nice carbon weave finish.

Weaknesses:    Large (ugly) yellow graphics.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the '04 Forte Axis Pro, which is the threadless full carbon fork with raked aero blades (369g). I installed the fork on my steel road bike to replace the harsh straight-blade threaded aluminum fork it came with (which was giving me numb hands on long rides). The light fork and threadless stem (also Forte') took a pound off the bike. The fork is rigid (like a well-made CrMo fork) in sprints and climbs, but has substantially more compliance over rough roads. Almost all road buzz is absorbed by the fork (and Cane Creek S2 headset)and big hits, although still felt, have less harshness. Tracking in turns is excellent.

Favorite Ride:   Skyline Drive - Front Royal to Panorama

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Waterford CroMo fork, Giant carbon, Time Club fork.

Bike Setup:   Reynolds 853 steel frame, full Ultegra 9sp STI, Mavic wheels, ITM Pro 260 bars, Forte Team pedals

Submitted by AshburnJim a Recreational Rider from Ashburn, VA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Value, Stiffness, vibration damping

Weaknesses:    It might be time to update the design just a bit to give the legs of the fork a bit of a curve or further sculpting to further reduce road buzz. Could be just a bit lighter.

Bottom Line:
A great value. This fork really improved the bikes handling and chopped nearly a pound off versus the stock Bianchi steel fork and quill stem when teamed with a new stem and headset. The fork is stiff but reduces road harshness. I would find it hard to justify spending twice as much more for the next best competitor. Bought it in combination with the Cane Creek S-2 headset and Performance Forte Stem. All-in-all a great set up. Much easier to adjust, stiffer, and lighter. Installed it all my self with a bit of fussing on pressing the new headset cups in.

Favorite Ride:   Catoctin Mountains

Purchased At:   Performance Shop

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Eros almost stock expcept: Terry Fly saddle, Speedplay pedals, 12-21 Chorus Cassette, Cane C

Submitted by JOE a Recreational Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Strengths:    Carbon at a great price.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Stiff but absorbs the right amount of road shock.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere