Profile Design BRC Forks

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Our "do it all" fork. Aluminum or CrMo steering column. Curved fork blades for smoother ride and precise handling. 40mm deep blade for better aerodynamics. Tapered aero blades. 700C or 650C. Threaded or Threadless. For High-Performance Road and Triathlon events. 504 grams (Aluminum 300mm).

Submitted by dpvwia a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2004

Strengths:    Decent weight for the price, good design.

Weaknesses:    Ugly graphics.

Bottom Line:
All in all, a good basic carbon fork. No weird noises or vibrations, good aerodynamics, no compatibility issues (except maybe for some computer mounts, given the blade shape).

Favorite Ride:   Cuyahoga Valley

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Steel forks.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Sonoma, Campy Chorus/Athena

Submitted by bobbycorno a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Strengths:    It came with my frame. It didn't break. I'm not using it any more.

Weaknesses:    Harsh ride. FLEX. FLEX. FLEX!!!!! ...oh, and did I mention FLEX???

Bottom Line:
First off, I'm a 6'3", 195 lb, retired USCF Masters racer. I ride hard, and value a solid, predictable handling bike. The BRC gave me neither. The deep, narrow blades are exactly WRONG for the kind of riding I do, since they result in a fork that's very stiff vertically, and very soft laterally. I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake buying my Gunnar Roadie, but decided to try a different fork. I bought a $40 no-name carbon fork with a steel steerer from JensonUSA.com, and it solved all of my handling problems. End of story. (And end of this fork as far as I'm concerned.)

Favorite Ride:   Downhill, with the wind

Similar Products Used:   Trek OCLV, various steel forks, $40 brand x carbon fork (which is FAR superior).

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Roadie, Campy Daytona 10, Open Pro rims, Michelin Axial Pro (25mm) tires.

Submitted by alex a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    Alloy steerer. No more problems with expander bolts. Stiff, aero and light for a cyclist of my weight.

Weaknesses:    would prefer if they still made cro-mo steerers.

Bottom Line:
43 deg rake and alloy steerer. This one is a good fork for a cyclist of my mileage (1000+km per month) and weight (62kg).

My previous forks had carbon steerers that had slipping bolt problems. With the star nut on this baby, no more problems.

Stiff enough in sprints and climbs so I can't complain.

Favorite Ride:   Thursday Torture Train

Similar Products Used:   stock litespeed fork
easton EC70 full carbon

Bike Setup:   vortex, ultegra grouppo and velocity deep V wheels

Submitted by jeff a Recreational Rider from Dix Hills, New York

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Strengths:    I am a larger than avarage rider, 51 years old, and 5'11", 185 lbs, who is a hill climber at heart.My comfortable crusing speed on the flats is about 20mph, faster when drafting in the peloton, and I will sprint at 25-27mph. I'm not afraid to stand on the pedals and give it all I've got to crest a hill. I was also looking for comfort on century rides. The Profile Design fork has been very good in my preliminary outings, which have included 102 miles on Block Island recently. Stiffness for climbing all out has been terrific. I am unable to flex the fork even during extreme climbs or out of the saddle sprints.Shock absorption has been wonderful,even on rough roads...MY HANDS AREN'T NUMB ANYMORE!I would consider this fork a great upgrade, which will update the ride of older classic steel bikes.The difference is not like night and day, but it is significant nonetheless.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
After a horrible roof rack accident left the original steel front fork on my 1984 Pinarello badly bent and unrepairable, I began to look at my options. Replacing the fork with a threadless model would be more expensive, lighter, and necessitate junking my Cinelli fork and stem, which have worked fine for 18 years.My bike mechanic suggested the Profile Design BRC threaded stem.

Favorite Ride:   Shelter Island in winter

Purchased At:   Bicycle Planet

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   1984 Pinarello, team red
full Campagnolo Super Record (it lives!)
Cinelli alloy bars and 1A stem

Submitted by kkeller a Triathlete from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Oscillates a great deal on fast descents. Flexes under sprinting or standing load.

Bottom Line:
Smooth, comfy fork but weak laterally.

Favorite Ride:   Bogus Basin Hill Climb