Home | Reviews | Forks | Time

Time Millenium Carbon Forks

Carbon/Vectran blades bonded to aluminum fork crown with aerospace adhesive 1" Cro-Moly threadless steering column, length 300 mm 6 single- and bi-directional tubular woven layers of High Resistance (HR) carbon with Vectran to absorb shock Aluminum dropouts with safety tabs Rake: 43 mm Weight: 640 grams Finish: clear varnish

Submitted by HaydnG a Road Racer from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Strengths:    Light, hopefully strong for an all carbon fork.
Cheaper and lighter than the Pinarello replacement (for which I was quoted £340 + fitting by the Pinarello distributor in the UK.

Weaknesses:    Let's see once I've got everthing set up right and I get over my nervousness on fast, twisty, bumpy descents and my collar bone and shoulder stop aching where I bust it in the crash.
The decals are also a bit brash for my taste, compared with the understated Pinarello forks.
I wonder how they compare with Columbus Muscle that seem to be cheaper, and are also available in 1" steerer with full carbon.

Bottom Line:
I've actually got the Time Millennium Carbon Stiff+ fork with a 1" steerer. This is the all carbon offering in the Millennium range and weighs 405g before cutting.
The steerer has a cross shaped carbon fibre insert reinforcement for its entire length (hence Stff+). I got it to replace the Aria carbon forks with a steel steerer on my Pinarello Paris frameset that were damaged in a heavy crash, hence the need to get a 1" steerer fork.
At present I'm taking it easy with them because they feel softer than the originals and the position does not yet match my usual stem height. This also means gear and brake cables are a bit too short (I'm on Dura Ace).
They have the "Microset" system for setting then up, because you can't use the star or similar type bung system (the reinforcement+ in steerer prevents anything being inserted) the Microset is placed between stem and top of headset/spacers. It has two rings threaded together, The upper can be held still, whilst lower one is screwed in to extert compression on the headset (very like a threaded headset really). There is then a small locking clamp that ensures the lower ring does not unscrew, allowing play to develop in the headset.
Incidentally, the place that fitted them simply re-instered the 3x5mm spacers PLUS the Microset and didn't allow for the fact that the Microset effectively acts as a 10mm or so spacer. Still its better that the steerer is cut a bit on the long side, until I work out position with new Deda Newton 130mm oversize stem and bars I will be changing to soon.
Fitting etc. instructions only came in French, that is beyong my limited linguistic skills to fully understand, even with help of native female french speaker in the office (who does not have the technical vocabulary for bike related matters).
Still I'll keep you posted on how they work out, but don't hold your breath becaseu we're well into the fall now and the Pinarello is generally a bit too nice for wet weather.

Purchased At:   Argos Cycles - Brist

Similar Products Used:   Pinarello Aria Carbon with steel steerer

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Paris (54cm) with dink in top-tube, Shimano Dura Ace gruppo, Flite Ti Gel on Pinarello carbon post. Mavic Cosmic Expert wheels with Michelin Pro Race 23mm (looking to Kryseriums for next year). Cinelli Eubios on Pinarello Nera stem (both shortly to be replaced by Deda Newton oversize). Time Equipe Pro pedals.