Wound Up Threaded Carbon Forks

4.09/5 (11 Reviews)

WOUND UP bonds their X-WOUND straight legs to an aluminum crown and 7075 dropouts.

Submitted by Andrew a Road Racer from Auckland

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Build quality, ride quality, excellent tracking, quirky looks

Weaknesses:    Only cosmetic really, the crown should be better anodized (it has already stained) or painted, quirky looks

Bottom Line:
Fantastic fork (I have the Seven Cycles version). Tracks very well, provides a comfortable ride and is reassuringly solid. I had a 1 inch version some years ago (now doing great service around town on a courier bike and still going strong) which i was forced to change when i moved to a 1, 1/8 steerer. In the meantime I tried Easton EC90 and Look HSC3. The wound up is a far better fork than both of them. Well made, but difficult to keep the crown shiny. I must admit, i have found it difficult to tell the difference between my old cro mo steerer and the new carbon version.

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC90, Look HSC3, Wound Up Cro Mo Steerer, Profile Judy

Bike Setup:   Seven Axiom, Record, Eurus, Thomson

Submitted by chibiker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Total piece of crap. Wouldn't use this for firewood. Lousy construction there is glue leaking out of the drain hole on the bottom dropout completely blocking it. The glue is seeping out all around the dropouts and where it is attached to the aluminum head.
Customer service is unbelievably poor. Won't return calls, get voice maze. Warranty is totally worthless. You are on your own when you buy anything from these guys. Don't blame them their parent company is a defense contractor, must be used to putting out crap for high dollars with no resposibility.

Submitted by mbzml55amg a Road Racer from Redwood City

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    It's carbon fibre. Lyte as plastic and strong as steel.

Weaknesses:    If you paid $300 for a new one.

Bottom Line:
Bought the year 1998 threaded Wound-Up carbon fork from Glenn in NC off this site's marketplace for $75. Not bad considering it's around 300 clams new. Hooked it up to my Trek 2100 which has almost the same gray & white decals, nice. The performance improvement is not really detectable over stock aluminum fork but the cool factor is up a couple notches.

Favorite Ride:   Burlingame to Redwood Shores

Purchased At:   Glenn from NC

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   'Ol skool carbon Trek 2100, Campy cranks w/56t big ring and 11t high gear on Dura Ace cog..UNREAL

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Strength- won't break in my life time.

Weaknesses:    Can you say BUZZZZ.

Bottom Line:
Thought the Wound-up fork stunk! The handling was more precise than the Time and Reynolds, this might be good but the trade off is carpal tunnel syndrome or nervous dysfunction in the hands and wrists. Shock absorbing it ain't. The fork imparted an annoying buzz of high frequency vibration. The observation of the fork blades flapping fore and aft with the road surface imperfections indicated a totally pathetic product. The fork could be felt squashing with every pedal stroke while climbing a steep hill out of the saddle. My weight is only 140 pounds, these issues might be found with greater body weight but mine??? I abandoned this fork after 50 miles for a vastly better AME. This fork sucks and should never be considered when better products exist.

Favorite Ride:   Hana Highway, Maui

Similar Products Used:   AME, Time, Reynolds

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralight, Campy Record 10, Nucleons, all the best stuff.

Submitted by Dan Lee a Road Racer from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Stability in corners, straight blades, strength, vibration absorption

Weaknesses:    could be updated to be lighter, fading aluminum crown, chipping decals, as noted earlier

Bottom Line:
I took this fork with me when I studied in the former east Berlin. My regular training ride included many miles of cobbles (I guess the Russians didn't repave the roads after WWII), and I was sure the constant impact would crack the carbon steerer. I even had a new Wound Up fork waiting for me when I got back to California. To my amazement, the fork not only did a great job absorbing the shock of the cobbles(it's important to have healthy wrists when you throw down all of those beers), but it wasn't damaged at all. I ended up returning the second fork. If you're a weight freak, this fork probably isn't for you, and my next fork will be 1 1/8 threadless, but I would still consider buying another Wound Up fork. This one's lasted me five years.

Favorite Ride:   Anything steep

Purchased At:   shop employee

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel EMS, Kinesis aluminum, various steel forks

Bike Setup:   Seven axiom steel, Campy chorus gruppo, Chris King hubs(another great product), Mavic reflex sew-ups

Help finding a 1" threaded carbon fork

Looking for some help finding a good 1" threaded carbon fork. I had a Easton and got a crack on the lower steer. This is for my fun bike. 94 Bottecchia steel I bought when living in Italy. Any help would be great ThanksRead More »

246mm Threaded Carbon Fork?

I've stripped down my '89 Schwinn 564 for a possible repainting. Headset bearings were shot and I was thinking about the possibility of upgrading the fork from the current steel to carbon. I measured the length of the steerer tube at 246mm. I went on line and could not find a fork this big. Bike ... Read More »

Threaded vs smooth valve stem for 80MM carbon fiber clinchers?

Was just wondering if the threads on the one inner tube I bought could damage my carbon material around my rim. am I better off using a smooth stem?Read More »

Nashbar 1" threaded carbon fork

Anyone have any experience with this fork? What are your thoughts? I'm in need of a 1" threaded fork and this looks like a really good deal. ($69.99) This would be replacing a carbon fork on a 2000 Bianchi Veloce which I'm told has a 43mm rake. I'm not sure what the axle to crown length is on eit ... Read More »

carbon 1" threaded fork needed

Hi, just purchased a titanium frame and I'd like to run a threaded carbon fork to go with a quill stem. * Can anyone please suggest a decent carbon fork around $100? * Winwood RT carbon fork... any reviews? Thanks in advanceRead More »