Colnago C-40 Frames

4.84/5 (43 Reviews)

• Redesigned top-of-the-line carbon frame.
  • Sizes: continuous range from 49 to 64 cm. "Freuler" type frames with raised joint as from size 61.
  • Models: AD2, AD10, AD11, AD13, AD14.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by vaughnstewart a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing. Feels like your riding a sherman tank that weighs 7.3 kg. Not bad for a 61cm bike. Campagnolo only. You can hit anything with it , ride the worst roads, and still never get tired. 100 miles on the c50 is good - 100 miles on the c40 is a delight! Mine is completely unique.

Weaknesses:    Other people covet it! Its been stolen once, but I declared war and got it back. Everywhere I take it people touch it, lift it, and marvel at how something so purple can be so perfect. Subsequently it is only ever ridden to and from my house. Sad as when I cycle in Italy or France I have to take the c50.

Bottom Line:
    My c40 was a tour spares bike. I am the third and last owner until my son inherits it. It is as all bikes should be - perfect! I just wish I had another so that I could ride it on the not so perfect days. But my c50 is a good winter bike! When you ride a bike you usually just get onto a a bit of engineering and peddle off. Some look nice, some ride nice, but usually after 100 miles you will have some complaints
    with the ride. Vibration, tracking, whatever you want to call that energy that gets transmitted up to spine and wrists. And then theres a C40. My c50 is a great bike and rides great up to around 100 miles but it doesnt even approach the level of comfort crafted into the C40. A C40 just makes you want to go out - day after day after day. I consider every ride I get on it a special experience and I thank the cycling gods that led to the fateful day when I was lucky enough to find it and buy it. A real bicycle , hand crafted by people earning a real living, making art in motion. Caio gratzie Ernesto!

Favorite Ride:   White rose classic!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Richmond

Similar Products Used:   Peurgeot, kuota, specialized

Bike Setup:   Record and super record 11 speed all carbon groupset, with cat III carbon bars, and fulcrum racing zeros.

Submitted by Flanners a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Fast agile a great climber and descender.
    Tracks and corners so well stays planted and at speed.
    Good looking bike which just oozes classic appeal

Weaknesses:    Finish is not brilliant, like all Italian exotica!
    Paint on dropouts peeled, but have repainted these.

Bottom Line:
    Saw this bike on ebay, went for it and got it. Wanted a modern classic and boy have I found it. A superb bike that is just so planted and rides so well both up and downhill. My modern carbon bikes a PX SL carbon and a Focus Cayo are so skittery by comparison. The Ferrari or Ducati of the road bike world.

Purchased At:   'darn ebay

Deda Newtron stem
    ITM Millenium carbon bars

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    Light enough to win a mountain stage
    Stiff enough for Tour strongmen to sprint on
    Great longevity/durability for carbon
    Pedigree
    Appearance
    almost everyone else ISN'T riding one
    Get a used one for less than most new junk costs

Weaknesses:    I think the rear dropouts are Titanium, which is great- but unless you use a quality skewer like shimano or Campy and not some junk- the rear wheel can move over due to insufficient clamping pressure
    would prefer 1&1/8 inch fork- but not a big deal.
    odd size seatpost (28.0mm) means you need an expensive colnago post (or a Thomson), unless you buy an adapter shim (28.0 to 27.2) allowing you to run whatever post you want.

Bottom Line:
    At age 54, after lusting after a C40 for years I figured it was now or never. I had owned several other very nice bikes previously including a SEVEN Axiom Titanium, high end FELTS, and many others in 30 years of occasional racing and constant recreational riding. The C40 seems to hold its value quite well, probably due to its incredible race winning pedigree and the fact that it has a well deserved reputation for durability/longevity which cannot be said about many other carbon fiber frames. My 61 cm C40 (measured to the very top of the seat tube), weighs 1260 grams on my digital scale. There are lighter frames, there are frames that I'm sure are stiffer in the bottom bracket, and depending on your own viewpoint, frames that are perhaps more beautiful. It is the best all around machine I have ever ridden because for me it does everything very well- its light enough, stiff enough, very stable handing at high speed due to the long front/center dimension and high 'trail' length, and I think it is a work of art built and designed by people that are passionate about what they do. It is a comfortable bike over long distances and poor road surfaces, but then I don't feel that all aluminum bikes are uncomfortable at all either. I think people confuse 'shock absorption' with 'vibration damping'- and due to its material and construction, I think the c40 is the most vibration damping bike I have been on- it seems totally silent relative to most bikes. The c40 and some of the carbon fiber looks are 2 of perhaps a handful of carbon frames I'd ever consider spending my own money on. I work in a shop where I have an opportunity
    to see firsthand all kinds of carnage done to carbon fiber frames- many from incidents that would not harm a c40 or aluminum tubed bike (except maybe a small dent in a metal tube). The reason for this is twofold I believe, the first is that many of the ultra high end frames that weigh 900 to 1000 grams are optimized for one thing- handling the stresses imposed on them by pedaling them, and they do that very well. They are not optimized to resist the types of stresses put on them in crash situations and impacts to tubes.
    When you squeeze the top tube or down tube on a carbon frame and can see it deflect without much pressure- that tells you something about what to expect when you go down. The other factor is that for any frame material, if you compare 2 tubes of the same length and weight- the tube having the larger cross section results in decreased wall thickness. I feel that carbon frames like the c40 are much less susceptible to being totaled by a minor fall or other incident. My C40 is not 'faster' than other bikes, but I think it may make me feel like riding more, and I love how it looks, and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. The fact that when I go on a ride with a thousand or more other riders, and don't see 900 people riding the same brand is a plus for me too because I'm a contrarian.

Favorite Ride:   Horribly Hilly 200k

Similar Products Used:   dozens- steel/aluminum/carbon/titanium

Bike Setup:   Alpha Q GS10 fork (straight blades)
    Campy ultratorque crank
    Time pedals
    Campy der and shifters (chorus/centaur mix)
    campy hubs- 28 or 32 hole on DT Swiss or MAVIC open pros with SAPIM ot DT spokes
    Deda stem
    Ritchey bar
    USE alien seatpost shim with 27.2mm THOMSON setback seatpost
    Michelin PRORACE 2 or 3 tires

Submitted by Nody a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff. Previously I had a Scandium-Alu sloping frame. The first time I got out of the saddle going up a hill on the C40 I nearly fell off. I hadn't realised what a stiff frame felt like prior to that. Despite this the ride is great. I do lots of long rides and you really feel the benefit.

Handling is fantastic, Completely reliable in bends. Previous scandium frame would bounce through some corners on rough surfaces. The Nag just sorts it all out and you can just think about your line.

The Price - Yup if you can still get your hands on a C40 - at sub £1500 now an absolute bargain in my book.

Also it's beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Occasionally creaks. She's very temperamental about it though and will go weeks with nary a squeak - then off she goes. Something I said ? temperature dependent?

Bottom Line:
    Beautiful. Slight indulgence when I bought it purely on reputation. But faith has been repaid. Occasionally during winter, reading bike mags, I ponder a change of frame but spring comes and out comes the Nag. One ride is all it takes.

Similar Products Used:   Dediacci Alu frames.

Bike Setup:   Record 05 10sp
    Carbon compact chainset
    Campag Eurus wheels
    Conti GP3000s
    Deda Arimo stem and Deda Electa carbon bars
    Record carbon seatpost
    Fizik Arione bumrest
    Oh - Black bar tape of course.

Submitted by BRS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Also it's beautiful.

Bottom Line:

Similar Products Used:   Dediacci Alu frames.

Bike Setup:   Record 05 10sp
    Carbon compact chainset
    Campag Eurus wheels
    Conti GP3000s
    Deda Arimo stem and Deda Electa carbon bars
    Record carbon seatpost
    Fizik Arione bumrest
    Oh - Black bar tape of course.