Colnago Dream HP Frames

Colnago has further refined the popular Dream by adding the newly redesigned HP chainstays. BiConic Columbus Airplane tubing specifically drawn for Colnago allows the Dream HP to climb and accelerate while the HP rear triangle smoothes out the road. Columbus Airplane tubings for Colnago -1 1/8head lug -Oversize top and down tubes -Carbon B-Stay & new HP chainstays The Diamond HP (High Power) Stays Engineered Carbon Fiber Diamond shape: -Enhances the Compliant Smooth Ride -Rear Triangle has 5% more vertical flex -Decreases Power Robbing Lateral Flex by 3.5% -Dampens Vibration.

Submitted by Tom a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff yet buttery smooth, great long distance, accelerates like a bullet, precision descents, really a great bike for the money. That Colnago still builds bikes in 1CM increments is a huge strength. Barring custom, it's the best possible option for perfect fit.

Weaknesses:    When I moved the FD a little the paint chipped a tiny bit. When I moved the seatpost clamp the same thing happened. While the paint is beautiful, it seems a little weak.

Bottom Line:
Wow. What a great bike. While I am sure you can get the same "feel" from an all carbon frame, there is something about the carbon/alu mix that really seems to work in this case. It is really magic to ride. It has been a long time since I have LOVED my bike enough to dream about it (seriously...I may need counseling).
While an expensive bike (even at the lower end for Colnago), I consider it a bargain at this price point. It compares favorably with bikes costing 50% more I think.
Oh, and because it is such a noticeable bike, it forces me to stay in shape even though I no longer race...too embarrassing to be fat and out of shape on a pro level bike :)

Favorite Ride:   Green Springs

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale CAAD9 (gone) and Crit3.0 (still own), Pinarello F4:13 (gone- size wasn't right, never could dial it in), Colnago Ovalmaster(still own)

Bike Setup:   Dream HP w/Star fork, Zipp stem, Easton EC90 bar and post, SRAM Force components, Shimano 7801 carbon wheels w/Veloflex Carbon tires, Time RXS pedals

Submitted by todd a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    climb climb climb, then break away and leave them

Weaknesses:    paint has chip already GRRRRRR and i must get some protection stickers for the cable rub already coming

Bottom Line:
mmmmmm colnago. i have for my whole cycling life avoided the hype of colnago. now i have one, there is no hype, just correctly engineered machinery. this bike was bought as a logical decision over the carbon fibre trend. It is a blend of the best from both worlds, smoothness of carbon and stiffness of alloy. acceleration under power is amazing and if you push it realy hard it is a miracle how there is a beutiful slight flex like steel and then it just seems to transfer the power seemlessly. I constantly get people asking is that a c50 because i went for the colour scheme that looks like a c50, bonus is that most people think it is, There has only been a couple of bikes that make me feel empty when i have finished riding,and this is one of them, even though i am tired i still wish to ride some more,if i was alowed to sleep with it i prolly would

Favorite Ride:   swan river cycleways

Purchased At:   the bicycle entrepre

Similar Products Used:   cinelli, willier, cannondale, olmo,

Bike Setup:   dream hp 2005 sloping pr11, chorus carbon groupset, campag zonda g3 rearand radial front wheels, 3t 4gxl stem, 3t ergo bar, 3t xl seatpost, SLR 135 gm seat, look carbon bottle cage, look keo carbon pedals, cateye strada wireless computer, schwalbe stelvio tires

Submitted by James Durham a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Its a Colnago. Stiffness while climbing, shock absorption, handling in the descents.

Weaknesses:    Jewel-like good looks mean you don't want to get it dirty. And it's not a C50...

Bottom Line:
This bike is true to its name - an absolute Dream to ride. Only had it for 2 weeks before taking it to France to ride the Mont Ventoux, where it really impressed, both going up, where the stiffness of the frame meant I could feel every ounce of effort being translated in forward motion, and in the descent, where the legendary Colnago handling and the feel and directness of the Star carbon fork (a highly recommended upgrade) inspired real confidence. And it looks superb too.

Got the bike from Mike Perry at maestro-uk.com, who is worth his weight in gold for his advice and superb service. If you're in the market for a Colnago there's no better place to go - I won't even entertain going anywhere else now. Mike is incredibly knowledgeable and was happy to spend as much time as I needed with me to advise on frames, forks, size and colour etc. Eventually ordered a special paint job (at no extra cost) so that the bike looks just like a C50. When the frame had arrived from Italy Mike came in specially for me on a Sunday to build it up, which he carried out expertly whilst we chatted and drank coffee, giving me the benefit of his cycling experience. Mike's place is more of a cyclist's mecca than a bike shop. Do yourself a favour and deal with a real gentleman who understands the meaning of service, rather than your typical bike shop, most of whom, in my experience, don't know what they're talking about or even have the right tools to build a bike properly. Bravo Mike!

Favorite Ride:   Easy hills, but fast descents! Anything when the sun's shining...

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   maestro-uk.com

Similar Products Used:   Colnago Active '04, some old Giant thing, various others.

Bike Setup:   Colnago Star Carbon fork, Colnago headset, Deda Newton 26 stem, ITM Millenium bars, Campag Record/Chorus/Centaur mix groupset, Selle Italia Signo saddle, Campag Proton Wheels, Veloflex Pave open tubulars, Look Keo Carbon pedals.

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    Fairly light, very comfortable, oh, and it is a COLNAGO

Weaknesses:    Paint chips pretty easy which is a constant problem with Colnagos

Bottom Line:
This bike is exactly that...a DREAM. Super comfortable and I am a pretty big dude. Went from a CAAD4 Cannondale and this is much more plush.

Favorite Ride:   The Strip