Colnago Dream Plus Frames

4.44/5 (36 Reviews)

Carbon fiber rear triangle, now improved with the B-Stay, is super light and efficient in power transmission. The innovative B-Stay maximizes rear triangle response arid decreases overall weight. The front triangle uses Biconic Oversized top and down

Submitted by DoubleMac a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    - Handling
- Stiffness
- Looks (each one is different)
- Crit weapon
- Reliable, not an issue despite more than 50K km on it racing it 20+ times per year.
- Light for an alloy frame at 1180g

Weaknesses:    - Bone jarringly stiff on anything more than 120psi
- at 1180g for a 56 c-c its not that light be todays standards.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike in 2003 and built it up with Centaur, then in 2004 built up with Record 10 with carbon cranks (8.1kg). Has remained as a 2nd bike since the purchase of my Extreme - C in 2007. Much stiffer than the Extreme C however far less comfortable and only about 1/5 kg heavier. Despite being made up from all the spare parts in my garage, this bike is a scalpel in crits and on descents and my biggest issue is running up the back of / up the inside of other "slower" riders on all sorts of corners. For smooth crits, this would be my weapon of choice and is the bike that I have recorded my fastest average race speeds ~47km/h in crits. Recently broke Extreme C and loving being back on the Dream, apart from really long climbs and heavily broken roads. Its now been converted to a retro bike and is running mostly alloy parts with silver fulcrum wheels. Colour is Red. I will never sell this bike. Been great to race it again until the C59 arrives. People cant believe its so old.

Favorite Ride:   Colnago Dream Plus Airplane

Purchased At:   Importer Direct 2003

Similar Products Used:   Gianni Motta Personal - Super Record
Reynolds 653 Super Record track bike.
Peugeot
GF Superfly Mountain Bike
Colnago Extreme - C
Colnago C40 - borrowed for 4 months.

Bike Setup:   Record cranks
Fulcrum Racing 1
Record Ti 11-23 cluster
Record Seatpost
Sella Italia 135g saddle
Shimano Ultegra pedals (I know I shouldn't but they work so damn well!!)
Aluminium Bars and Stem

Submitted by Colnagonut a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Unbelievably stable ripping at full throttle downhill. Extremely quite and supple over road imperfections. Seems like it has little shock absorbers somewhere while still be extremely stiff for rocketing up arduous mountain climbs. Colnago does such a great job on paint. Mine is primarily white with red and white airbrushed swooshes. Far, far more toned down than that of my oler Colango. Matter of fact this is one of the reasons for stepping up to the new frame. My old frame while a beautiful paint job, just seemed a too busy. The new frame is minimal, yet sports some of the fantastic artistry that Colnago is so reputed for.

Carbon "Force" fork is beefier and appears to have a little more foward rake, thus contributing to the stability of the new B Stay.

Weaknesses:    Too soon to tell, but I can't see any at this time. Owned three Colnago's and all have different characters about them. I wouldn't ride anything other than a Colnago.

Bottom Line:
I've wanted a Colnago B Stay ever since they unveiled them. I've been riding a 58cm HP Dream Lux and been happy with it, but always felt the bike was a little on the twitchy side and definately a criterium geometery. Going downhill at speed has always felt a little tenuous. Enter the Colnago B Stay. If I were to summarize this bike in a word, it would probably be "incredible". The carbon fiber rear triangle makes the all aluminum "Dream" be put in a different class. I couldn't believe the difference in ride quality. It is totally night and day! The rear triangle has a litte more relaxed geometery on the chainstays, so this is factoring in the difference, as well as the Force Carbon fork on the B Stay Dream, versus the "Flash" Carbon fork on my old Dream. The new B Stay seems to acclerate faster, and going downhill I could probably peel a banana at 60 mph. Downhill at speed is so stable, it felt like I had four wheels! And at speed the B Stay is silky, silky smooth like a Lamborghini cruising at 160mph.

The frame is whispher quite and soaks up the road bumps very well. So different from my old all aluminum frame I have to pinch myself.

Favorite Ride:   2004 Colnago B Stay Dream White

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   58cm. Parts added are Mavic Open Pro CD wheelset, all Ultegra components, Ritchey wet white Axis Stem, Ritchey Logic II white handlebars, Ritchey wet white seatpost, San Marco Regal white seat, white handlebar tape.

Submitted by Christoph a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    The bike sprints and climbs incredibly well. The Geometry is different than any other bike I've ridden and once you get dialed in, it's extremely comfortable and you feel ready for anything that comes whether it be an attack, a climb, etc...

Weaknesses:    I am 5'10, 150lbs with a long torso. I have everything dialed in but feel I need a slightly shorter stem than the 110mm stock stem on the bike. A 90mm stem seems that it would treat my shoulders as I feel like I'm reaching out a bit far right now.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Colnago Dream B Stay only a short time ago but have put on 2400 miles. I bought a 55cm frame which fits nearly perfect for my build (see below). I rode many different frames/bikes prior to my purchase. Full carbon, multi material, full alloy, etc. The Dream B Stay rides better than a far more expensive Trek or Specialized...

Favorite Ride:   Saturday AM local group rides

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Fuji Bikes I tried out just don't compare (and the Colnago was half the price...)

Bike Setup:   2003 Dream B Stay
Blue/White Paint
Giepemme Wheels
Full Dura Ace Gruppo
Easton Carbon Bars
Colnago Star Carbon Fork

Submitted by kgt2003 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    special tubeset, fast, stiff, inspiring

Weaknesses:    could be 100 - 150 gr lighter

colnago c50 might be better

Bottom Line:
A classic italian road bike. Classic but innovative. Take a look at the tubeset. It is a masterpiece by itself. A custom section, something really special you won' t find in another bike. Not this generic assemblage of five round tubes made in china but a product of tradition, research and passion for detail. Stiff frame but not harsh. Traditional geometry adds to the great looks and to the comfort. Straight fork makes direction and cornering extremely precise. Pro cyclists still use it as a training bike or racing bike. A future classic!

Favorite Ride:   anywhere the road is good and the scenery inviting

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   bianchi sl3, wilier evasion

Bike Setup:   campagnolo centaur group, fsa carbon pro crankset, frm sp-r21 wheels, fizik arione saddle, campagnolo chorus carbon seatpost, 3ttt less stem and bar

Submitted by tcolucci a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light and strong - climbs and sprints with equal ease. Best looking bike in any group ride. Euro geometry is comfortable even on 5-6hr rides.

Weaknesses:    Total paranoia about road debris, lifetime addiction to Colnagos (more expensive than a coke habit)

Bottom Line:
This bike is best described by it's name. It is a Dream to ride! The geometry is relaxed and very comfortable, but the bike practically moves with you - it is extremely responsive, corners like a Formula 1, sprints like Cipo (the bike - not me) and climbs like Heras on a good day (see previous comment). I have been racing for years and ridden some of the best frames, but the Colnago is a cut above. Looks - awesome. I have the Reflex Blue, and it is one of the most eye-catching frames I've ever seen. The radical style of the top and down tubes enhance the appearance and the stays and BB are beefy and super stiff - no deflection under the hardest loads. This bike just makes you feel faster. 17lbs total for a 61cm.

Favorite Ride:   Lancaster Classic

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   e-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5500, Pinarello Prince, Litespeed Classic, Paramount Waterford Road.

Bike Setup:   61cm, full Campy 10, FSA Carbon ProTeam Cranks, Ti BB, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL w/ Michelin ProRace, Flite TransAm.

Seatpost Diameter for a Colnago Dream Plus

Does anyone know the correct seatpost diameter for Colnago Dream Plus frame?Read More »

Dream cross vs Dream Plus

I have been searching for a dream cross frame for about a year now, I finally found one that I want, but it is overseas & we are having a slight language barrier. The ad for this frame says it is a Dream Plus Cross, I didn't even know there was such thing & can't find a reference to it. I have fou ... Read More »

Need a small Colnago Dream Plus???

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7204625592[/url]Read More »

Opinions: Colnago Dream Plus

I'm thinking about getting this frame here built up w/campy centaur as my next ride from GVH Bikes. Just want to hear from Colnago riders on their experiences with these frames. Thanks.Read More »