De Bernardi Aelle Frames

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

An entry-level frameset for someone with racing aspirations or hard-pushing enthusiast. Built with the same attention to detail as the more esoteric frames to guarantee proper comfort and performance.

Submitted by Lindsay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy, steady, trustworthy steed

Weaknesses:    Compared to today's bikes, it's a bit heavy, and it is less responsive than a carbon

Bottom Line:
I've put over 27,000 miles on my DeBernardi - loving it the whole time.
I do a lot of long rides, especially for charities. It's comfortable and I can count on it to get me where I'm going.

I have the pearl paint as well, and it's lasted pretty well. For a bike bouth in 1995, it's still got a fairly good paint job.

Purchased At:   They Closed Shop

Similar Products Used:   trek, and years ago spaulding and schwinn

Bike Setup:   Began with Shimano XTR 21 speed, later upgraded to Ultegra 27 speed - - do a lot of hills, so triple was the way to go

Submitted by Ron Kast a Road Racer from Chandler, Az, USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    When I started cycling I was very heavy (280 lbs) and felt a good steel Italian bike would do the trick. And I was right. Even with a large frame(63 cm) I was to get the bike under 22 pounds. The faster I push the bike the more stable it becomes.

Weaknesses:    The paint chipping has to be the greatest vexation I know. Other than htat it is a great bike.

Bottom Line:
This is a great starter bike and commuter. If you want a great show bike forget it. The first time you touch something hard the paint will chip. Other than that I have placed 6500 miles on the bike in two years with very little problems.

Favorite Ride:   Seatle to Portland (STP)

Purchased At:   GVHbikes

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn, nisihki

Bike Setup:   I have a complete 105 setup with dura ace hubs and Mavic open pro rims

Submitted by doug a Road Racer from tx

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Strengths:    Low price. Mine has nice pearl paint, and rides like any other good Italian frame. My 53c bike only weighs a pound more than my gigabucks MAX tubed bike(22 vs. 21 - with equivalent tubular racing wheelsets.)

Weaknesses:    not really any for the price, and my dealer, Larry, prepped it with the same care he would a more expensive frame. This is crucial to me and probably one of the reasons i am still pleased with the bike after 6 years.

Bottom Line:
Everyone should have one of these. I got mine when i was a broke college student. I rode the heck out of it for 2 years in TT's, road races, criteriums, even a 12 hour endurance ride once. It saw regular 350 mile training weeks and i never felt handicapped by the weight because i generally used tubulars to race. As a race bike, it has been retired, but on occasion i have thrown 'cross tubulars on it and raced cyclocrosses (try riding your sweet-ass Merckx or Colnago in the dirt - it can be done- but who would want to?), right now, the old school dropouts have allowed me to set it up as a fixed gear bike for early season training. Versatility like that has made this one of my best bikes ever.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Shoppe, Shawnee OK

Similar Products Used:   DeBernardi MAX, Paramount 753, and too many other decent Italian bikes to mention

Bike Setup:   Athena 8 speed with various wheelsets, depending on event or mood

Submitted by Ed Benton a Commuter from Cocoa, FL USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    Low price. Smooth ride. Great bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Frame and fork weigh >6 lbs. Entire bike weighs about 24-25 pounds. Crappy paint. (It chips easily.) There are NO DeBernardi T-shirts, caps, jerseys, etc. available ANYWHERE. Nobody makes 'em, including DeBernardi.

Bottom Line:
This bike is my back-up bike for when my Trek 5200 is in the shop or otherwise indisposed. It is heavy, and the paint job sucks, but it does have a nice smooth, steel ride and nice geometry. I got the frame and fork with BB and headset installed from O'neils (www.oneils.com) online for $405 including shipping back in late 1996.

Favorite Ride:   River road in Rockledge/Cocoa

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   DeBernardi 3T Aelle (1996 model, if there's any difference.)Campy BB and headset. Other components Shimano 105. Ritchey Vantage Comp Road wheelset.

Submitted by steve quinn a Road Racer from livingston, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Strengths:    good quality entry-level ride. very lively but stiff enough for sprinting. race level geometry. comfortable

Weaknesses:    a little heavy (but not for the price). the absolute WORST paint quality in terms of durability. gorgeous candy red finish but if you look at it funny half the paint falls right off the frame!

Bottom Line:
this bike has always been a rainy day ride or for when friends come to town without a bike. i've had relatively few hours on the saddle, but the time i rode were very enjoyable. lively ride, but still stable and steady during sprints or hard efforts. the weight penalty doesn't make it fly up hills but very nice overall. they gotta do something about that paint!!

Favorite Ride:   morris county

Similar Products Used:   mongoose iboc world champion, schwinn peleton, raliegh, litespeed classic

Bike Setup:   full dura-ace 8 speed, ttt bars and stem, open pro rims with titanium spokes, michilen axial pro

Battaglin Aelle, Retro/Modern

Here is my latest build - I picked up a Battaglin frame from the US, I live 20 minutes from the Battaglin factory, so I "brought it home" to the Dolomites. I transferred everything over from my old Cannondale and changed out a few things. Eventually I'll take off all the Shimano and replace with C ... Read More »