De Bernardi Thron Frames

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Vitix2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff with a beefy ride. Handles well despite its' predictable nature, and is reasonably comfortable. I've had two higher-quality, newer, steel frames that offered a more subtle ride, but they both had shortcomings that the Thron does not and cost a lot more.

So, it is not what I would want as my only ride as it is heavy and there are many better choices, but just not at $400.

If your expectation for a frame of this price is reasonable, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you expect it to compare with top-end frames, you'll be disappointed.

Weaknesses:    Given the price and what it is, there are none.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a basic frame that I could hang an older component group on it and use it as a winter trainer and in-season knock around ride. The De Bernardi seemed to fit my limited requirements: Inexpensive, stiff, and steel.

It was prepped by Smartcycles before it was shipped to me and built up easily. Everything was standard and the frame has no quirks or shortcomings in quality.

So far I've done two, two-hour rides on it and the imppressions are good. Rather than describing the pros of this frame, it seems best to describe what it isn't. Given that it is a $400 frame, what it is not is more unexpected than what it is. First, it is not a flimsy, poor handling bike. Rather, it is steady, stable and predictable. It can hold a line, corners with ease, and has traditional geometry. It is not slow handling or sluggish. Nor, would I call it inmble or quick. It feels as if it there is a lot of front rake, which adds to the stability, but takes it out of the fast handling catagory.

The bike is not flimsy or flexible. I'm a larger rider, but when I stand to power over rolling hills or to accelerate quickly it remains stiff and stable. No noticable flex. Due to it's weight and geometry (I guess)it does not accelerate particularly well. It does not do a poor job of sprinting, but changing speeds fast does not seem to be one of it's natural attributes. It is a Rouler. Find a gear, apply the power, and you'll go as fast as you want.

In terms of comfort, it has very balanced geometry and provides a good fit (at least it does for me). The top tube is .5 to 1 cm shorter than is traditional for most frames. My 61cm frame has a 58cm top tube. Most frames of this size have between 58.5 and 59.5 top tubes. However, with a 110 mm stem it offers a very roomy cockpit. my knees are farther away from the bars than they are on most bikes. I don't know that much about geometry, but something about the rake and the angle of the headtube seems to be why the front end feels roomier than usual.

As for the Thron tubing, it is heavy, stiff, and strong. It is a very solid feeling frame that can take a jolt without being thrown for a loop. The ride is not very nuanced, but nor is it crude. You feel the bumbs even though it is lugged steel, but they do not overwhelm the ride.

Favorite Ride:   I like em' all

Purchased At:   Smartcycles (online)

Bike Setup:   1998 Campy Chorus Gruppo, Fulcrum racing 5's.

Submitted by NAGATAHAWK a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2007

Strengths:    Steel frame rides like a dream, and I have received several compliments on the bike already. the gold camy rims really bring out the gold panels over the all black frame.

Weaknesses:    Paint was not rubbed out and chips very easy. with the longer frame, it accelerates slowly.

Bottom Line:
The frame is DE Barnardi, I don't know which, it is for touring. rides very smooth. black with gold panels,chrom stays and fork, very attractive, but was not rubbed out. I sanded and rubbed it out. I purchased the bike with all Simano 105. rode it in the LA marathon Bike ride. and for 20 mile training rides.
love the steel frame ride and the old school look. the head set bearing were creaking after 1 month, are tight now.
the touring frame compromises acceleration. it is a little sluggish. I have had criterium frams in the past. plus my legs are older now.
I am coming off a full suspension Mountain bike, it has take a little while to get used to a road bike again. love it!

Favorite Ride:   SOUTH BAY BIK PATH

Purchased At:   SUMMIT CYCLE, WESTCH

Similar Products Used:   Had a couple of Itallian frame/campy bikes. this is similar to my old Raleigh International/ campy bke.

Bike Setup:   I purchased the frame built up with all Shimano 105 components. weighed in at 22 lbs. has the total old school look, which I prefer. I currently swapping out to all campy. so far I have the record brakes, Khalig gold rims, w/10 speed campy cluster. will swap the brake/shifters and rear derailer this weekend. I love camy. althought the wheelsets and the rear compy cluster is heavier. total weight is now 23 lbs. don't ask how much I weigh.

Submitted by trout_bum a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    Handmade Italian lugged steel frame 1/2 the price of a Colnago Classic. Feels fast-Comfortable rides and handles like a much more expensive frame. Paint looks pretty elegant.

Weaknesses:    Sizes run every 2cm - I guess that is part of keeping cost low. Despite having the frame prepped by WrenchScience I still had to have steerer tube reamed as well as front brake mounting hole-but again for this price no biggie-if I paid 1000+ I'd be a little annoyed. Color choices could use improvement. Threaded OEM fork. Although quill stems have retro-chic they seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

Bottom Line:
After being inspired by watching this years' TDF and sick of doing roadrides on my MTB decided to build up a roadbike-as I had some old parts laying around. I wanted an inexpensive steel frame that was classy and fast. Decided on the Thron after reading reviews here-and it was one of the cheapest frames WS sold! I'm pretty happy with this bike the handling feels crisp, seems to climb pretty well too-although I've only ridden steel frames. WS spec'd the weight of complete bike as 19.5 lbs not the lightest but serviceable. Bike felt really fast the first time I rode it, and continues to feel faster as I get more in shape. I may try some cat4/5 races in the spring-and this bike feels more than competent. Geometry seems more favorable for crit style racing, but can handle a long hilly road ride pretty well. My longest ride so far has been 100K and the bike felt pretty comfortable. Frame looks really good too, I got the Dart White which looks really elegant. Paint seems sturdy enough despite other reviewers comments. Overall a good value-if it fits you, you like steel, and you don't need an ultralight racing machine. s

Favorite Ride:   Sullivan County, NY Covered Bridge Loop

Purchased At:   WrenchScience.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1988 steel-(660?), Breezer Lightning MTBÁ

Bike Setup:   55CM c-c, Dart White, Ultegra w/ D/A downtube shifters, 105 Calipers. Speedplay X/2, ITM Eclypse/Pro

Submitted by TOM a Road Racer from BATON ROUGE, LA., USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    BEAUTIFUL PEARL WHITE PAINT. TRADITIONAL LUGGED ITALIAN FRAME AND FORK FOR AN OUTSTANDING VALUE. LIGHT WEIGHT AND GREAT RIDE ONLY STEEL CAN GIVE.

Weaknesses:    NONE ENCOUNTERED SO FAR.

Bottom Line:
I USED BLACK COMPONENTS WITH THE PEARL WHITE FRAME, REALLY TURNED OUT LOOKING GOOD. THERE ARE LIGHTER FRAMES OUT THERE BUT THIS BIKE RIDES FANTASTIC. VERY SMOOTH AND RESPONSIVE, BEGS TO BE RIDDEN FAST. FRAME IS VERY STIFF BUT THE STEEL RIDE IS VERY FORGIVING. I DO SOME RACING BUT MOST OF MY RIDING IS LONG DISTANCE RECREATIONAL RIDING WITH 10+ CENTURIES PER YEAR, SO COMFORT IS VERY IMPORTANT. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FRAME TO ANYONE WHO'S LOOKING FOR A GREAT VALUE IN A RACING/FAST TOURING/RECREATIONAL BIKE!

Favorite Ride:   MT. MITCHELL