De Rosa Merak Frames

4.47/5 (19 Reviews)

• Merak is DeRosa's lightest frame at 2.5 pounds! This is accomplished by means of Merak's Dedacciai SC 6110 tubes, whichare custom made for DeRosa.
  • The mega-sized butted down tube and top tube are formed in an angular teardrop shape that features Special ribbed reinforcements. Oversize stays have semi vertical dropouts. The special tubes are TIG welded at the DeRosa workshop in their trademark geometry.
  • The fork is also specially designed with carbon composite blades that are tuned to the geometry of the frame.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Leon

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks, sharp handling

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    Home | Reviews | Frames | De Rosa
    De Rosa Merak Frames
    4.5/5 (18 Reviews)

Review Options: Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

OVERALL RATING:

VALUE RATING:

Submitted by Preston

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths: Loved the color. Ride is smooth with the aluminum.

Weaknesses: Not much.

Bottom Line:
    I had this bike- stolen over a year ago. Still miss it! Have been searching for it periodically in hopes that it may pop up or someone would be selling a similar frame and size. Bought and built a 2010 carbon De Rosa frame. Love it, but just not the same as the feel of the aluminum. Anyone have one of these frames or know where I can get one?

Thanks!

Preston

Preston Long shot if you get to read this. I have got the gold and black colour like in the picture in a medium frame with full dura ace Mavic kysrium elite wheels I.T.M carbon finishing kit owned this bike for the last 4 years in very good condition. What kind of money are you looking to spend ?..

Submitted by Preston

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths:    Loved the color. Ride is smooth with the aluminum.

Weaknesses:    Not much.

Thanks!

Preston

Submitted by Tim a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2007

Strengths:    comfort, cornering speed, ability to absorb road contours, ability to hopld a 75kg road racer over 2 seasons - without a whimper. Class looks and comments from adoring italophiles.

Weaknesses:    Paint. But I have yet to own an Italian bike that the paint stayed on...I have had a Daccordi, a Romani, a Ciocc, 2 Colnago and 4 De Rosa...paint on all of them....rubbish.

Bottom Line:
    This is the second Merak I have owned, the first broke in two when some idiot opened the crash barrier in the National Circuit Championships, and I hit it at about 35mph. That was really light, and a great frame - little flex and superlight. I replaced it with a 2004 Merak, not as light, but a great frame - I have raced it for 2 years, and have replaced it this year for a King. The Merak is now my training bike, but the biggest issue that I have is that the silver / chrome paint falls off and needs to be changed by De Rosa - which they have done - I now have a Merak, 2004 in 2007 colours; brilliant after sales service - direct from De Rosa- don't waste your time with the 'principle outlet' go to the factory, if you can. I flew my De Rosa to them, met Danillo De Rosa...they are the absolute pinnacle of what prestige bike building is about. I love my bikes, and none more so that my De Rosas.

Favorite Ride:   My wife, of course......

Purchased At:   St John The Baptist

Similar Products Used:   Ciocc Airone, Colnago Master, Romani SLX, Daccordi TSX, De Rosa King, De Rosa Merak 2002

Bike Setup:   Ultegra on the Airone, then Record. Then Record on all the rest.

Submitted by P.T. Reynolds a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    ***Flawless contruction. The frame looks, feels, and performs like it was handbuilt by a master craftsman.
    ***Very stable at high speeds.
    ***This is subjective, but the frame has a masterfully handbuilt "vibe."
    ***Those "who know" cycling legend show a lot of respect to the bike.

Weaknesses:    ***To my body, the ride is harsh. Personally, I like this feeling "the road," but it does tire the body. Mine is a very stiff, full-racing frame/fork (Mizuno carbon).

Bottom Line:
    Mine is the first-generation, all aluminum, gold/black finish year 2000, 53 cm. This bike was designed for high-speed professional road racing. It handles extremely quickly and is very stable at high speeds. Accelerates like a Cheetah and climbs like a cloud. The ride is pretty harsh, but a person really feels "in touch" with the road - I like that.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere away from cars/trucks.

Purchased At:   West Japan

Similar Products Used:   1970 Chiorda Gimondi.
    1997 Trek 8500 mountainbike.
    1999 Klein "Race".

Bike Setup:   ***All 2000 Shimano DuraAce.
    ***Wheels - King road hubs, Mavic Reflex rims, DT Revolution Spokes, Vittoria Corsa EVO-CX tubulars.
    ***Deda Newton oversize bar & stem. Deda Black Stick carbon seatpost, Fizik Aliante Carbon TwinFlex saddle.

Submitted by Vinnie a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    cornering, smoothness of ride, beauty

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    I've ridden this bike for over two years now and absolutely love it. It climbs, it sprints, it corners. I have never desired another bike in the time that I've had the De Rosa. As far as I am concerned, I found the perfect ride!